Sign in to follow this  
YoloinOhio

Zay Jones blocking ability - I’m impressed

If Gore would have cut that a little more outside he had nothing but green grass. Maybe he isn't quick enough to get out there in time though.

A topic with TBD’s favorite whipping boy in the title. This ought to go well...

• Haha (+1) 2

Unlike Foster, who doesn't even know his assigment on this play, he better step up because he will lose playing time once Roberts comes back.

Zay Jones is a good blocking WR. He needs to show up more as a pass catching WR. I like Zay and believe he has the talent; however, he has not yet lived up to being the 37th overall pick. Hoping we see it this year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Fixxxer said:

Unlike Foster, who doesn't even know his assigment on this play, he better step up because he will lose playing time once Roberts comes back.

I love how Foster even whiffed on the wrong defender. 

• Haha (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Zay Jones is a good blocking WR. He needs to show up more as a pass catching WR. I like Zay and believe he has the talent; however, he has not yet lived up to being the 37th overall pick. Hoping we see it this year.

I haven't looked at the all-22 to see how often Zay was open, but I can say that 2 of the 5 targets he's credited were impossible to catch - one was a throw away and one was the tipped ball INT which he had no possible play on but to tackle the Jet.

The catches he made were nice focus catches where he was hit immediately and hung on.  If he keeps doing that and is getting open, more targets will come as teams adjust to covering Beasley and Brown.

• Like (+1) 9

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I haven't looked at the all-22 to see how often Zay was open, but I can say that 2 of the 5 targets he's credited were impossible to catch - one was a throw away and one was the tipped ball INT which he had no possible play on but to tackle the Jet.

The catches he made were nice focus catches where he was hit immediately and hung on.  If he keeps doing that and is getting open, more targets will come as teams adjust to covering Beasley and Brown.

Agreed, both catches he made were not easy.  They were catches we expect WRs to make more often than not, but one was clutch in the 4th, where he had to go low to grab it, and the other was a screen where he was blown up as soon as he caught it. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not saying he should have caught more passes on the plays he was targeted in this game. I was speaking of his overall time here. I cerainly understand the offensive issues on this team during his tenure with the Bills, particularly at the QB position; however, we see receivers emerge in similar situations and put up more consistent plays and numbers than he has. Again, I think he has the talent and I have always been a supporter of his - I just don't feel he has managed to play at the level I think he is capable of. Hoping it starts this year.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

PFF gave him an elite grade for his blocking on Sunday. Am I allowed to say that? Or is it PFF hating season still?

Unless PFF says Zay sucks, it will be hating season still

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

We simply cannot allow any praise of Zay Jones, unless it's to get him traded.

Now now, it’s okay to praise when he doesn’t drop passes, and blocks, but outside of that, no mercy, 😜

• Like (+1) 1

Allen is the media's bipolar player and Zay is the Bill's fans bipolar player.

Neither will have prayer of winning over the detractors.

Zay was in on 29 offensive snaps out of 69 and targeted 5 times. 

It'll be interesting to see how he is used throughout the season and how that is affected if Foster's toe improves.  Will he remain a downfield blocker with a few targets or featured more in the passing game? 

2 minutes ago, MikeSpeed said:

I'd refrain from using the word "Bipolar" if you're not clear what it means.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

Foster did that in preseason too 

1 hour ago, MikeSpeed said:

40 yards or less in 10 of 13 games with Allen in at QB the majority of the game...including 18 yards in week 1 where Allen threw 37 times, the entire first quarter, and went through his progressions a lot.  I think its fair for him to have "detractors".  And he has 22 yards or less 4 times in the 7 games going back to when Allen came back from injury.  Not to mention all the drops in his first 2 years and even this preseason.

Between a shaky preseason and minimal week 1, Zay has yet to show any signs or measurable "growth" in his 3rd year.  At some point, the excuses need to stop for a lack of involvement, productions, and consistency in the passing game with a 3rd year WR taken in the 2nd round who set NCAA records for receptions.  

Most confusing, is in a game where we threw on every play but one in the first quarter and 37 times total against a weak Jets secondary, why was Zay not on the field a lot for being a starter and only got 3 real targets (2 others were basically throw aways)?  Why did Daboll not feel he needed to be more involved and on the field more in a game we threw so much, and against a team that Zay had a good game against with Barkley last year?

Its great he blocked well, important part of being a WR.  But when is he going to start being a dependable receiver too?  

All I know, is he most often is not making much of an impact with Allen led Bills games...so why is that?  Is he not beating the defense enough? Does Allen not trust him enough?  Do the coaches not trust him enough?  Is it something else or a combo of all those?  Don't know, but as or right now he has yet to really be a key factor in the majority of Allen led football games both before and after Allens injury.  

New week this week...and a Giants defense that should let our offense keep progressing.  Lets hope he does more this week, as someone other than Brown needs to step up as Cole made two bad mistakes last week that almost cost us the game, and Zay, Foster, and McKenzie had little impact as well all for various reasons.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

PFF gave him an elite grade for his blocking on Sunday. Am I allowed to say that? Or is it PFF hating season still?

https://theathletic.com/1200409/2019/09/10/bills-all-22-review-what-stood-out-on-film-from-the-week-1-win-and-grades-for-each-player/?source=dailyemail

The Athletic gave Zay an A- for the day as well.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MDH said:

One of the things I have been most impressed by this offseason is...The Athletic.  Big thanks to whoever put that one day big discount for the year thread on here as that got me to buy it, and I am very impressed with the quality and depth of writing on there so far.  Also impressed by the volume of great articles and write ups on not just the Bills, but the other teams I follow and sports in general.  

Big fan of the Athletic.  

• Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

40 yards or less in 10 of 13 games with Allen in at QB the majority of the game...including 18 yards in week 1 where Allen threw 37 times, the entire first quarter, and went through his progressions a lot.  I think its fair for him to have "detractors".  And he has 22 yards or less 4 times in the 7 games going back to when Allen came back from injury.  Not to mention all the drops in his first 2 years and even this preseason.

Between a shaky preseason and minimal week 1, Zay has yet to show any signs or measurable "growth" in his 3rd year.  At some point, the excuses need to stop for a lack of involvement, productions, and consistency with a 3rd year WR taken in the 2nd round who set NCAA records for receptions.  

Most confusing, is in a game where we threw on every play but one in the first quarter and 37 times total against a weak Jets secondary, why was Zay not on the field a lot for being a starter and only got 3 real targets (2 others were basically throw aways)?  Why did Daboll not feel he needed to be more involved and on the field more in a game we threw so much, and against a team that Zay had a good game against with Barkley last year?

Its great he blocked well, important part of being a WR.  But when is he going to start being a dependable receiver too?  

All I know, is he most often is not making much of an impact with Allen led Bills games...so why is that?  Is he not beating the defense enough? Does Allen not trust him enough?  Do the coaches not trust him enough?  Is it something else or a combo of all those?  Don't know, but as or right now he has yet to really be a key factor in the majority of Allen led football games both before and after Allens injury.  

New week this week...and a Giants defense that should let our offense keep progressing.  Lets hope he does more this week, as someone other than Brown needs to step up as Cole made two bad mistakes last week that almost cost us the game, and Zay, Foster, and McKenzie had little impact as well all for various reasons.  

We're only into 1 game of year 3 for Zay. Last year was a crap show by the offense as a whole and he still put up ok #'s, considering. It was very premature to say he wouldn't make the team this year and it's very premature to judge him for the 2019 season. We won, he played a part in it and it's all good for Zay.

Nice 20 yd catch on the last scoring drive by Zay to get us into Jets territory.

Edited by Dopey