Ed Oliver doesn't look very good

Seriously dude, you should understand how the game is played before commenting. He has worked himself into a starting role because he has done EXACTLY what was expected of him. His job is to occupy blockers on the 0-line to free up our defensive tackles or LB's depending on formation and play and he has done that very well. Sit down and put the keyboard out of reach before you hurt yourself. 

• Like (+1) 1

Counter moves when an oline wins early is a concern. But not many oline men so far have been winning early. He saw plenty of double teams this week and he better get used to that because if I am an offensive coordinator scheming against the Bills I'd rather triple Oliver and let Star run at the Quarterback completely unblocked. Unless my QB stands on the same exact spot for 5 seconds Star isn't getting there. What will be interesting is when the Bills use their pass rush package and play Oliver and Zo inside as DTs. Because then as an OC suddenly I have to pick my poison. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Why? 

Because they are better at it than you, me, and the rest of us on this forum, there are a lot of “I know better” types on every sports team forum, they do add minor entertainment, down side is they live in the negative Nancy land where nothing is good enough, ever. Just sayin.

Go Bills!!!

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Counter moves when an oline wins early is a concern. But not many oline men so far have been winning early. He saw plenty of double teams this week and he better get used to that because if I am an offensive coordinator scheming against the Bills I'd rather triple Oliver and let Star run at the Quarterback completely unblocked. Unless my QB stands on the same exact spot for 5 seconds Star isn't getting there. What will be interesting is when the Bills use their pass rush package and play Oliver and Zo inside as DTs. Because then as an OC suddenly I have to pick my poison. 

How confident are you in Jordan Phillips on 3rd down winning his one on one battles if Oliver gets doubled?

29 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How confident are you in Jordan Phillips on 3rd down winning his one on one battles if Oliver gets doubled?

Not sure how much they will use that package. The sub package they practiced a lot in camp was with Alexander as a pass rushing DT. Him and Oliver inside on obvious passing downs I think is hard to defend.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not sure how much they will use that package. The sub package they practiced a lot in camp was with Alexander as a pass rushing DT. Him and Oliver inside on obvious passing downs I think is hard to defend.

Oh I think Murphy - Zo - Oliver - Hughes is deadly.  I just fear we would be too light in the middle and susceptible to a draw....am I off?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Oh I think Murphy - Zo - Oliver - Hughes is deadly.  I just fear we would be too light in the middle and susceptible to a draw....am I off?

You know what you have to have to avoid the risk of a draw? Really fast and instinctive linebackers - luckily McDermott has Edmunds and Milano.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You know what you have to have to avoid the risk of a draw? Really fast and instinctive linebackers - luckily McDermott has Edmunds and Milano.

You didn't even give me time to answer.  

During this preseason, I've really been watching Edmunds and he's just popping on the screen.  Literally seeing him flying to the ball...I think he makes a major leap this year.

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You didn't even give me time to answer.  

During this preseason, I've really been watching Edmunds and he's just popping on the screen.  Literally seeing him flying to the ball...I think he makes a major leap this year.

Edmunds is going to be a star.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

If people would quit expecting he’s the next Aaron Donald they’d see he’s doing fine.

If we change our views of him being a slashing disruptive 3 tech and view him more as a NT then yes.

Oliver may remind McDermott of a similar player he had,  Brodrick Bunkley.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

33 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If we change our views of him being a slashing disruptive 3 tech and view him more as a NT then yes.

I think the great thing with Edmunds is that if he doesn't get up to speed with MLB you can put him outside and he will be great. I still wish we could pair him with a Brandon Spikes type for those impact hits. He is still playing like he doesn't know how big he is lol. 

38 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yeah I think Edmunds is going to be a star.

Broderick Bunkley is not anywhere near the level or prospect Oliver is.  

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No? 

Do you think Bunkley was ever considered a Heisman Trophy front runner or was ever talked about potentially being the #1 overall pick?

Was Bunkley a 3x All American?  Did he win the Outland Trophy?  52 tackles for loss while playing NT?  

I'm not trying to be overly critical but I cannot believe you're comparing Ed Oliver to Bunkley after 3 preseason games...it's absolutely ludicrous.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you think Bunkley was ever considered a Heisman Trophy front runner or was ever talked about potentially being the #1 overall pick?

Was Bunkley a 3x All American?  Did he win the Outland Trophy?  52 tackles for loss while playing NT?  

I'm not trying to be overly critical but I cannot believe you're comparing Ed Oliver to Bunkley after 3 preseason games...it's absolutely ludicrous.  

Why is my comparison ludicrous? Bunkley was an undersized DT taken 14th overall by a defense coached by McDermott.

Oliver hasn't flashed any pass rush skills. You think he's saving them for regular season?

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why is my comparison ludicrous? Bunkley was an undersized DT taken 14th overall by a defense coached by McDermott.

Oliver hasn't flashed any pass rush skills. You think he's saving them for regular season?

Great.

So every tall WR is James Hardy.

So every small edge rusher is Aaron Maybin.

So every small WR is Roscoe Parrish.

Okay...it's been established.  Oliver is a finished product before his first NFL game.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Great.

So every tall WR is James Hardy.

So every small edge rusher is Aaron Maybin.

So every small WR is Roscoe Parrish.

Okay...it's been established.  Oliver is a finished product before his first NFL game.

I commented on what I've seen of him so far. Obviously it's just the beginning of the process.

Bunkley was a starting DT in the NFL who was known for quickness and disruption in college but became more of a block eater in the NFL even though he was undersized. He also happened to play for our head coach. It's a fair comparison.

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If you're comparing him to undersized DTs taken early in the draft, then why not compare him to Aaron Donald?

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I commented on what I've seen of him so far. Obviously it's just the beginning of the process.

Bunkley was a starting DT in the NFL who was known for quickness and disruption in college but became more of a block eater in the NFL even though he was undersized. He also happened to play for our head coach. It's a fair comparison.

Well first off....

McDermott was the a Secondary and Linebackers coach in Philly while McDermott was there.  

Bunkley played one season coached under McDermott because he was shipped to Denver in 2011.

So any starting DT who is undersized and known for quickness is Ed Oliver.  You can paint everyone with the same brush.  And no, Oliver isn't know as a "block eater".  

I can't believe you're defending your Oliver is Bunkley talk.

You don't believe it's the beginning of the process...you're already comparing him to Bunkely after 3 preseason games!  Not to mention, your comment "is he saving it for the regular season".  Basically you're saying you've seen enough.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I see more of a NT style in Oliver's game rather than a 3 tech slasher.

This to me you don't know what you're watching because Star is playing the 1 tech and Oliver is playing the 3 tech.  He's not played 1 tech at all this preseason.  

Are you really just saying that because he's taking on double teams?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

One rookie who has stormed the gates in preseason from what Ive seen is the LB Josh Allen...has Ed Oliver made as immediate a visual impact? No. Does this mean much in the grand scheme of things? No. I say hold your water on making such a dire prognosis on the young man it's a snap judgment at best

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This to me you don't know what you're watching because Star is playing the 1 tech and Oliver is playing the 3 tech.  He's not played 1 tech at all this preseason.  

Are you really just saying that because he's taking on double teams?  

I'm not basing that on how they're using him. The reason I brought up Bunkley in the 1st place is because he developed into an undersized NT.

3 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Who did you want at 9, instead of Oliver?  Or, do you wish Beane had traded out of 9, and taken someone else?  If so, who?

Oliver was my guy from day 1.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm not basing that on how they're using him. The reason I brought up Bunkley in the 1st place is because he developed into an undersized NT.

Oliver was my guy from day 1.

They're using him as 3 tech penetrator so I'm still trying to figure out how you think he looks more like a NT.  

So you're basing it on a guy drafted by the Eagles 13 years ago, when McDermott was the Secondary coach?  I don't even know if he was developed into a NT at all but it wasn't with the Eagles because I believe that was Mike Patterson.

• Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They're using him as 3 tech penetrator so I'm still trying to figure out how you think he looks more like a NT.  

So you're basing it on a guy drafted by the Eagles 13 years ago, when McDermott was the Secondary coach?  I don't even know if he was developed into a NT at all but it wasn't with the Eagles because I believe that was Mike Patterson.

I don’t get the comparison either outside of “undersized DT” McD saw early in his career. 

If I was forced to make a direct comparison I’d say Mike Daniels with elite burst and quickness.... Daniels measured 6’ and 290 lbs coming out. Both guys have insane motors and are deceptively strong. Thing is, it took Daniels a year to really figure out slipping double teams and improve his pass rush. I expect Oliver to be somewhere between Daniels and Donald after a season or two. Who knows though.... at this point the kid could turn into the next Bunkley or John Randle. ?‍♂️. It’s too early to speculate. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He has struggled to get off blocks throughout the preseason. The D around him has been good but to me he shouldn't be starting. I'm nervous about this pick.

IMO mr ED will be just fine BUT How nervous exactly are you ? 

On the scale from 1 to 10 

Edited by Putin

Just now, Putin said:

How nervous exactly are you ? 

On the scale from 1 to 10 

Thinking a 7. Every draft pick gets a 5 on the nervous scale for me so a 7 means I'm really nervous. 

19 minutes ago, teef said:

well...this is interesting.

If I said he looked good would it be interesting even though i'de be lying?