Ed Oliver doesn't look very good

30 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

So what you're saying is his value as a decoy cannot be quantified.  He sounds a lot like Lee Evans in that regard.

Not saying that at all. Just that his presence alone is opening things up for other players. That happens to be a good thing.

I was hesitant about him before the draft because of his arm length.  I couldn’t find an instance of an interior DL that became an Al Pro with an arm length of < 32” and some of those OL are at 35”.

The more he can keep their hands off him, the better he’ll perform.  Stunts and some wax on wax off training.

He may end up being close to the top of the league in causing false starts and holding calls.

He’ll get there.  You can see it ..... he hates to lose, so he’ll be a worker.

DT is one of the hardest positions to transition from college to pro.  It will take a few years for him to dominate.  His quickness will be difficult to deal with even by NFL lineman.  He should provide an interior pass rush the Bills have not had in the last 3 years or so.  He will be a liability against the run for the first couple of years.  Kyle was never that good against the run either.  If he can avoid getting pushed out of position too often they should be ok.  Edmunds is a year wiser and hopefully he will take better angles to the ball.  He improved during the season last year.  

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

DT is one of the hardest positions to transition from college to pro.  It will take a few years for him to dominate.  His quickness will be difficult to deal with even by NFL lineman.  He should provide an interior pass rush the Bills have not had in the last 3 years or so.  He will be a liability against the run for the first couple of years.  Kyle was never that good against the run either.  If he can avoid getting pushed out of position too often they should be ok.  Edmunds is a year wiser and hopefully he will take better angles to the ball.  He improved during the season last year.  

I have actually seen nothing in pre season that would indicate he will be a liability against the run....even when double teamed

Anyone capable of maintaining standing balance on an equine mobile platform should also have what it takes to obtain superior leverage at the point of attack on most plays. :thumbsup:Color me unconcerned. This kid was salivated over by plenty of teams behind us, for good reason!

49 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He was a better run stuffer than pass rusher in college. Leg CFB for tackles for loss and was top 5 another season

When you run away from him he will get there backside

You have a point Buffalo Stampede but so does the rest arguing the fact. The knock on him is that he doesn't have the size or strengths to play DT in the NFL and you saw him get taken out in a few plays against Detroit. Also this is going to happen, no player wins on every snap, it's just not going to happen and he's undersized so he has to work even harder imo. I think he'll be fine, he doesn't look out of place at all to me at least and he actually gave all pro Quentin nelson all he could handle in that game, preseason or not that was very good to see.

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

You have a point Buffalo Stampede but so does the rest arguing the fact. The knock on him is that he doesn't have the size or strengths to play DT in the NFL and you saw him get taken out in a few plays against Detroit. Also this is going to happen, no player wins on every snap, it's just not going to happen and he's undersized so he has to work even harder imo. I think he'll be fine, he doesn't look out of place at all to me at least and he actually gave all pro Quentin nelson all he could handle in that game, preseason or not that was very good to see.

I'm not disagreeing with any counterpoints. Oliver was the guy I wanted the whole time, but I think we're viewing him the wrong way. I don't think he'll be a dominant pass rusher inside.

4 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Not saying that at all. Just that his presence alone is opening things up for other players. That happens to be a good thing.

Which is Star’s role also.

One of two glaring needs on this roster is Pass rushing DE. Next year , IMO , it will be one of their priorities. At that point, having Oliver and Star in the middle will offer opposing offenses a “ pick your poison “ scenario. Who do you choose to double? Where do you choose to slide your protection?

Pressure from the inside and outside, simultaneously....... with a top five defensive backfield to boot?

McDermott knows what he is doing.