The Bills need to keep Duke Williams

7 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

It's great he can block, I'm not going to deny that, but his job is to get yards & TDs. He's pretty good at one and not so good at the other. On a side note how's Duke doing against the scrubs, oh wait 1 catch for 9 yards, if he's going to be a good WR in this league he should be dominating the guys he's playing against tonight. For all the talking up the announcers did about Duke in the first quarter, they each ended it as they don't know if he'll even make the team. I do have to admit, I forgot how big he really is. I wouldn't mind him being the #5, #6 or #7 WR(If we keep 7 WRs), it just shouldn't come because they got rid of Zay.

5 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

To be fair I didn't argue about his stats tonight at all, I did happened to mentioned them though. Just rubbing a little salt in the wound, that's all.??

Hunh????? :blink:

Duke had 2 contested over the middle catches on RPO plays that he snatched out of the air with his strong hands.

Then he was taken out of the game.

He solidified his roster spot with those 2 catches.

Don't even know what the heck you're talking about in terms of rubbing salt in a wound  :huh:

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Ok you guarantee he doesn't have a long leash. That's about as meaningful as me saying I'm the President of the United States. Did I say it, sure. Is there any truth to it, nope.

Is Zay your brother or something?

Or you were a fan of him at East Carolina?

Your undying defense of him is bizarre.

I've said for awhile I think Zay makes the roster because Beane loves him and will give him absolutely every benefit of the doubt.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Is Zay your brother or something?

Or you were a fan of him at East Carolina?

Your undying defense of him is bizarre.

I've said for awhile I think Zay makes the roster because Beane loves him and will give him absolutely every benefit of the doubt.

You're going to be amazed by this, but he's not my brother & I never watched him in college. My "undying defense of him", oh burn! Damn I'll admit you really got me there, good one Ace!! He's not going to make the team because Beane loves him but doesn't deserve to be on the team, it's not how Beane has shown he works. He's going to make the team because he should to be on this team despite the opinions of you, me or anyone else. I'm defending him because he's shown improvement in his 2 years in the league and I believe he's gotten a raw deal so far in his career. He's had Tyrod, Peterman, Tyrod, Peterman, a rookie Josh Allen, a washed up Anderson, Barkley(He wasn't even on the team when we picked him up) & a rookie Josh Allen(In that order) throwing him passes in his 2 years here. No WR in this league is going to excel with those QBs throwing him the rock. You guaranteeing Zay is on a short leash is still priceless, I don't care what anyone says, like you have a say in the matter.??

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Hunh????? :blink:

Duke had 2 contested over the middle catches on RPO plays that he snatched out of the air with his strong hands.

Then he was taken out of the game.

He solidified his roster spot with those 2 catches.

Don't even know what the heck you're talking about in terms of rubbing salt in a wound  :huh:

Now I'm going to start this out by saying I believe he very well may make the roster, but once again this is a 26 year old, who's been out of college for several years, played 2 years in the CFL and the only things people can point to are a couple jump ball TDs and now two 9 yard receptions against scrubs. I defend Zay mainly because of all the Duke fan boys who will say he should make the team, but Zay shouldn't. What's Duke averaging per reception this preseason? A little under 9 yards a catch against mostly camp fodder guys. If he was good he would've dominated the guys he's been facing in the preseason. He's too sssssllllllooooowwwww to play between the 20s against starting CBs in this league, it's not the CFL. So at that point we're keeping him to catch a few jump balls in the Redzone. As I told Alpha earlier in the tread...Just my opinion, which I have the right to have, just like you have the right to yours.

8 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Ray Ray did well tonight, but I think he gets cut.

They already have two players (Roberts and Mckenzie) who can do what he does. There is no one on the roster that can match Duke; plus he has been on special teams, oddly enough.

Hopefully they can sneak ray ray to PS

18 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

It's great he can block, I'm not going to deny that, but his job is to get yards & TDs. He's pretty good at one and not so good at the other. On a side note how's Duke doing against the scrubs, oh wait 1 catch for 9 yards, if he's going to be a good WR in this league he should be dominating the guys he's playing against tonight. For all the talking up the announcers did about Duke in the first quarter, they each ended it as they don't know if he'll even make the team. I do have to admit, I forgot how big he really is. I wouldn't mind him being the #5, #6 or #7 WR(If we keep 7 WRs), it just shouldn't come because they got rid of Zay.

Wow. This is an amazing statement. I said in an earlier post that I didn't want to be the guy that accuses others of not understanding football, but you are definitely treading on 'doesn't-understand-football' territory, here. You can't not know that blocking was a big part of Duke's job last night? Considering many of the formations he was placed in, I suspected early on the coaches had him in there primarily to evaluate his blocking. He was lined up on the inside and blocking on just about every run play he was on the field for. He blocked for other receivers downfield on some plays. He did this because it's his job.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

16 hours ago, HappyDays said:

That's a pretty strong endorsement.

this is exactly what we need and have needed since we ran off Sammy and Woods off.

Who else on our roster comes down with that TD vs Lions?  Or last years?

Come on Beane. Do the right thing.

15 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Ray Ray has a much better shot at clearing waivers than Duke does IMHO.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

this is exactly what we need and have needed since we ran off Sammy and Woods off.

Who else on our roster comes down with that TD vs Lions?  Or last years?

Come on Beane. Do the right thing.

Ray Ray has a much better shot at clearing waivers than Duke does IMHO.

No doubt. Ray Ray is a little built up in Buffalo, I think both by fans and players. You can’t not love the guy. But from a tape perspective, he’s had some mistakes that really call his consistency into question. 

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Wow. This is an amazing statement. I said in an earlier post that I didn't want to be the guy that accuses others of not understanding football, but you are definitely treading on 'doesn't-understand-football' territory, here. You can't not know that blocking was a big part of Duke's job last night? Considering many of the formations he was placed in, I suspected early on the coaches had him in there primarily to evaluate his blocking. He was lined up on the inside and blocking on just about every run play he was on the field for. He blocked for other receivers downfield on some plays. He did this because it's his job.

Blocking is important for WRs, TEs, and RBs, and it's just another reason this offense was so bad last year. I like how they've shored up the fundamental part: Frank Gore is known as an excellent blocker. Clay sucked as a receiving TE last year, and my impression was that his blocking was no better, so adding Kroft and Knox (Lee Smith too?) should help. And while blocking may be icing on the cake for wideouts, it is still an important tie-breaker when deciding whether, say, Duke vs. Ray Ray make the team.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So I didn't see this article posted before game 4, but it's a good one.

Note that the article says that Duke's been shining in his preseason games AND in practice.

Plenty of other really good quotes from Duke and his teammates that really just make me wanna see him get his shot.

I guess Beane's thoughts were more aligned with mine. I really do hope we put him on the PS and he's ready to roll next year for us after being with an NFL team for a whole year. My bet is he just does have enough speed to play in between the 20s, which was by far my biggest complaint of Duke. I still say switching to TE would probably be in his best interest where top end WR speed isn't required. 

• Like (+1) 1