The Bills need to keep Duke Williams

...read a McBeane quote that was very interesting and telling about Duke (sorry, will have to paraphrase)......McBeane said, "with the signing of Duke Williams, it eliminated drafting a WR early on as a high priority for us"....doubt the paraphrased statement means a "roster spot locked" but it implies (to me) they have high hopes for the kid......then again, some of the "TBD Experts" chimed in right after the signing as"...pfft...nothing but camp fodder...".....THEY would know best, right?............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Coach diagrees.... and another thing....no drops... Yup look out because this guy may make a name for himself.

No drops on what 6 balls lol? One had a catch rate of 54.9% in the NFL, the other had a catch rate of 59.4% in the CFL, which is more impressive? Everyone talks of Duke's great stats in the CFL last year, but it took 143 targets to get them. That would've been good for the 12th most targets last year in the NFL, right behind Michael Thomas and he's no Michael Thomas. He couldn't catch on with an NFL teams the last two years lol. He's not even a shoe-in in his third attempt at this. Once again, with his clear lack of speed, good hands & with him being a good blocker, he should start adding weight and become a TE. I think he would do quite well there.

16 hours ago, Mat68 said:

From his rookie year to last season he doubled his catches, yards, and catch rate.  He tripled his TDs and increased his yards per target by 2 yards.  Why is he done improving as a wr?  Because, he hasn't lit up preseason?  Let's not forget what this team was for half the season.  They were a dumpster fire.  Having the same Qb for hopefully the whole season will help as well.  Nevertheless, Williams made a great catch over a backup db and has more potential.  Got it.

Considering that there wasn’t much in the way of choices for our QB to throw to last season explains his catch increase. Then Look at all the passes Jones dropped(*).   Confidence in Jones is waining, hence his up tick in special teams reps. Good WR gotta catch YAC, and block, bubble WR  gotta do special teams. 

(*) see the five minutes of drops video on YouTube.

Go Bills!!!

22 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

No drops on what 6 balls lol? One had a catch rate of 54.9% in the NFL, the other had a catch rate of 59.4% in the CFL, which is more impressive? Everyone talks of Duke's great stats in the CFL last year, but it took 143 targets to get them. That would've been good for the 12th most targets last year in the NFL, right behind Michael Thomas and he's no Michael Thomas. He couldn't catch on with an NFL teams the last two years lol. He's not even a shoe-in in his third attempt at this. Once again, with his clear lack of speed, good hands & with him being a good blocker, he should start adding weight and become a TE. I think he would do quite well there.

If you can't see the guy has better hands then I don't know what to tell you. And again, he has obviously impressed the coaches so I guess you're just going to have to continue to hate it lol

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

IMO, thank God you're not a GM!! If you look at Shaw's post, which is what I was responding to, he was talking about Duke's significant accomplishments over Zay's...No?? Outside of the two TD catches, what did Duke's other four catches net? Let's see Duke has 6/53/2. He's averaging 8.83 yards a catch against back ups and guys who won't be playing in the NFL in a week. Unless you're going to catch a 100 balls a year, like Landry, that average isn't going to cut it in the NFL as a WR. Last game he averaged 5 yards a catch lol. Zay has 5/77/0. Like I said outside of the Redzone, Duke has done nothing against terrible competition, Zay was doing it last year against every team's #1 or #2CBs. Zay is far, far more proven. 

@JoshAllenHasBigHands explains this well. Zay sucks forever because he did once as a bill.

DW on the other hand sucked, but not as Bill or not as memorably in RF case and therefore he and Robert Foster will be in canton. 

Until they are cut.

See the legendary greatest WR of all Time ... Da’Rick. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Clueless. If you can't see the guy has better hands then I don't know what to tell you. And again, he has obviously impressed the coaches so I guess you're just going to have to continue to hate it.

In this conversation, I'm not the one that's clueless. You've got nothing and brought nothing to the table but a couple preseason games, in which he caught a couple of jump ball TDs against nobodies, that's it. He's too slow & doesn't run crisp routes to play WR in the NFL between the 20s(That's the truth). You need to be able to do one or the other to make it in the NFL. His other 2 catches in the Detroit game netted minus 1 yard!!! He couldn't make a team the last 2 years and he may not make this one. If he catches on with this team or another team, he'll never be anything other than a Redzone player they throw jump balls to. If that's all he brings to the table, how long do you think a team keeps him on the 53 man roster?

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

That's how I view him.  Frankly getting traded or cut might be the wake up call he needs.  Duke got his wake up call in college and then when he couldn't stick in the NFL. He got focuses and got determined. Zay sometimes seems like he expects it will come easy.  It seems that Duke is showing him the kind of commitment it takes to make it in the NFL.  

Agree. He seems to have same issue as Foster.

Oh on discussions via Robert Woods, a WR I wish we kept, Robert was clearly getting #2 balls while Zay when he was functional was getting #1 balls and dropping them so naturally he had more opportunities although if I was QB I would be looking elsewhere after umpteenth drop.

Just now, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

In this conversation, I'm not the one that's clueless. You've got nothing and brought nothing to the table but a couple preseason games, in which he caught a couple of jump ball TDs against nobodies, that's it. He's too slow & doesn't run crisp routes to play WR in the NFL between the 20s(That's the truth). You need to be able to do one or the other to make it in the NFL. His other 2 catches in the Detroit game netted minus 1 yard!!! He couldn't make a team the last 2 years and he may not make this one. If he catches on with this team or another team, he'll never be anything other than a Redzone player they throw jump balls to. If that's all he brings to the table, how long do you think a team keeps him on the 53 man roster?

Yeah ya are. You're talking how Duke has done nothing etc, when clearly he has done enough for the coaches to move him up the depth chart, which means your kinda clueless to the situation. He has done everything asked of him and more.

You can spew all the Bs you want, when it comes down to it he has done what he needs to do and so far the coaches seem to think that also.so we will see what happens. But you keep being mad, you may need a hug.

• Like (+1) 1

Just thought people would like to see what NFL.Com draft tracker said about Duke.  It's interesting.  

STRENGTHS

Big frame and usually plays to his size. Will post up cornerbacks down the field and uses his body to shield throws from defenders. Natural pass catcher with soft hands. Saw 82 percent of his catches go for first downs in 2014. At his best in longer developing, intermediate routes. Does solid job of setting up routes with leverage points and head ­fakes. Makes downfield catches with well­-timed hands to consistently pluck throws at the high­ point and will lay out to make the tough catch. Can grind out an extra couple of yards after the catch in order to get the first down. Has the size to help run game as a blocker if his care factor is right.

WEAKNESSES

Consistent discipline issues at Auburn. Suspended for Outback Bowl after 2014 season, missed practices for "personal reasons" this August and was kicked off of the team in October admitting he "made mistake after mistake" which lead to his dismissal. Stiff hips and below average athlete. Restricted, semi­-strider off snap and slow into routes. Wont slip many tackles in the open field after the catch. Despite his size, blocking not a priority for him. Small hands for his size. Can't shake free underneath and will have to live off of contested catches. Very little acceleration for separation out of breaks. Could be forced into slot role only. Looked like he was going through the motions in 2015 before his dismissal. Scouts dont trust his personal or football character at all.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 7 or priority free agent

SOURCES TELL US

"I can tell you that he burned all of his bridges over there (Auburn). He's a selfish, me­-first guy and I don't think he's trustworthy in the locker room at all. He didn't compete at all this year. I wouldn't draft him in any round." -- NFC Director of Personnel

NFL COMPARISON

Geremy Davis

BOTTOM LINE

While he has good overall size, Williams appears to lack the athleticism and big play potential that might cause a team or two to overlook all of his off­-field issues at Auburn. With no Senior Bowl invite and a reputation as a malcontent, Williams is unlikely to be taken before the third day of the draft and might go completely undrafted unless he blows teams away at his workout sessions.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

@JoshAllenHasBigHands explains this well. Zay sucks forever because he did once as a bill.

DW on the other hand sucked, but not as Bill or not as memorably in RF case and therefore he and Robert Foster will be in canton. 

Until they are cut.

See the legendary greatest WR of all Time ... Da’Rick. 

It’s the narrative, man. Zay has a reputation for drops. So, now, whenever he drops a ball in the game, people walk away from the game feeling like he dropped multiple passes. Or, if an uncatchable ball is thrown at him, he is blamed for a drop, even though a catch would have required a super human play. They lose the ability to see and remember objectively what happened.

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

It’s the narrative, man. Zay has a reputation for drops. So, now, whenever he drops a ball in the game, people walk away from the game feeling like he dropped multiple passes. Or, if an uncatchable ball is thrown at him, he is blamed for a drop, even though a catch would have required a super human play. They lose the ability to see and remember objectively what happened.

That's well said.  Zay isn't a bad receiver.  

3 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yeah ya are. You're talking how Duke has done nothing etc, when clearly he has done enough for the coaches to move him up the depth chart, which means your kinda clueless to the situation. He has done everything asked of him and more.

You can spew all the Bs you want, when it comes down to it he has done what he needs to do and so far the coaches seem to think that also.so we will see what happens. But you keep being mad, you may need a hug.

Every depth chart I look at, they have Zay on the first team and Duke on the fourth team. Your only argument is how he's impressing the coaches so much lol!!! The coaches are so impressed he's 4th string? Come on, get out of here with your nonsense.????

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/depth-chart

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/buf

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/BUF

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/depth-charts/buffalo-bills

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Every depth chart I look at, they have Zay on the first team and Duke on the fourth team. Your only argument is how he's impressing the coaches so much lol!!! The coaches are so impressed he's 4th string? Come on, get out of here with your nonsense.????

You seem really upset that Duke may make this team.it tears you up inside doesn't it? Yeah you need hugs.

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Thanks, man. I think he gets a bad wrap for being drafted before JuJu. 

Those draft comparisons are deadly.  I hate them.

As I've said often, I think Zay's problem is that there isn't anything he is especially good at.  He's a good receiver but great at nothing.  

Edited by Shaw66

10 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Duke Williams

The clear winner from Friday night and the seemingly clear sixth WR right now (or fifth?) is Williams, who outmuscled a Lions defender for a touchdown catch on Friday night. Not only that, he played 37 snaps, the most on the team, and played with all three QBs. That’s right, he received first-team reps in ed zone work with Josh Allen. (Sorry, Robert Foster.) He caught all three targets, is a willing blocker, and hasn’t fumbled yet. I was the first to tamp down the love for Williams when he was signed from the CFL saying it was going to be a long road but he’s steadily navigated that lane to get into this position.

He was moved up the chart and got some1st team reps, that what I meant by moving up the chart means ,not some ESPN depth chart list lol, again clueless to the situation.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

You seem really upset that Duke may make this team.it tears you up inside doesn't it? Yeah you need hugs.

Duke Williams needs Coaching. NFL is a different game. Can Bills get him up to a higher level than he has previously performed ?

His first stint was surely not enough.

Maybe the Man has turned himself around.

I for one hope he becomes and asset and Bills/Josh can make good use of him.

i might suggest he could be a very dependable go to in situational football.