The Bills need to keep Duke Williams

4 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Is thins a judgement you are making based on combine numbers, or something else?

I've looked at some combine times.  He's near the bottom.  He isnt going to run past a lot of defenders.

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea - it is always the full package as I have said and Spencer / McKenzie and the like all have duel value. In the 37 claimed players off waivers this year there were 6 receivers. 5 of them known as speed guys. 

5 o6 is another bbn piece of evidence un your favor.

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Go back and watch a couple of Hunter's Bills touchdowns. He made some outstanding laid out catches. 

Here is what I don't buy..... I don't buy that 32 NFL teams have decided not to put a guy who displayed all the qualities you talk about above in pre-season and was a star receiver in the CFL on their rosters because of an incident that happened when he was at college in 2015. Since that time in both Canada and with the Bills during the spring Williams has kept his head down, kept his nose clean, got himself into excellent shape and done everything right. NFL teams have plenty of guys with much more recent misdemeanors on their teams if they think they can help them. I just don't buy that a mistake he made 4 years ago is the reason teams passed on him. 

So then you have to look at the guys who did get claimed off waivers and put on a team's 53 after cut downs - not only Ray Ray McCloud - but let's consider Diontae Spencer who had a similar career route to Williams: went to an NFL practice squad, didn't make it stick, went to the CFL, balled out, got a shot in camp with a team (the Steelers) but got cut and he WAS claimed by the Broncos. He is also only 5'7 but runs a 4.34. There used to be a theory in the NFL that if you were going to miss then miss on a big guy. I think the way the game has gone - to much more of a college style spread out look - now if you are going to miss you miss on speed.

15 years ago Duke Williams would 100% have made a roster. But the way NFL offense is now he is vulnerable to smaller, quicker, better change of direction guys. That to me can be the only logical reason that a guy who had Duke's pre-season ends up unclaimed and back here on our practice squad. I suspect before the season ends he gets his shot - either here or on another squad - but his offensive value is limited by his skillset. I just don't think that is deniable given the evidence we have in front of us. 

On watching him play on the field. 

My God this is almost exactly what I've been saying in this thread...Where have you been lol? I could've used another sane person like 15 pages ago!! Glad someone with with a respectable opinion sees the same things. Past NFL, Duke would be on the field tomorrow playing for someone, but the game has changed and is always getting faster. Not Duke's fault, he's just a couple decades too late.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol, you’ve been in here arguing with all kinds of people this whole thread...and about a player not even on the active 53 with some agenda to prove he can’t play in the NFL like he stole your girl.  And you say I like to argue?  Haha

And you can say I was wrong in the AB thread too, that’s your right.  Except, Gruden just proved my point and is now backing AB and over riding Mayock and not suspending him and having him available week 1.  If Mayock had no role in the turbulent relationship, then he would have gotten his way and suspended AB.  But like I said, Gruden, his other coaches, and his teammates have gotten along just fine with him.  Only Mayock has butted heads.  But keep telling me that Mayock couldn’t have handled it better himself as well as AB.  

How's this thought process working out? Once again off the mark, this was ALL on AB. Biggest tire fire I've ever witnessed in the NFL. Yup Mayock could've handled it better and released him after the threat. It would've saved everyone the couple days of nonsense that ensued. Gruden couldn't find the right choice if someone handed it to him. 

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Go back and watch a couple of Hunter's Bills touchdowns. He made some outstanding laid out catches. 

Here is what I don't buy..... I don't buy that 32 NFL teams have decided not to put a guy who displayed all the qualities you talk about above in pre-season and was a star receiver in the CFL on their rosters because of an incident that happened when he was at college in 2015. Since that time in both Canada and with the Bills during the spring Williams has kept his head down, kept his nose clean, got himself into excellent shape and done everything right. NFL teams have plenty of guys with much more recent misdemeanors on their teams if they think they can help them. I just don't buy that a mistake he made 4 years ago is the reason teams passed on him. 

So then you have to look at the guys who did get claimed off waivers and put on a team's 53 after cut downs - not only Ray Ray McCloud - but let's consider Diontae Spencer who had a similar career route to Williams: went to an NFL practice squad, didn't make it stick, went to the CFL, balled out, got a shot in camp with a team (the Steelers) but got cut and he WAS claimed by the Broncos. He is also only 5'7 but runs a 4.34. There used to be a theory in the NFL that if you were going to miss then miss on a big guy. I think the way the game has gone - to much more of a college style spread out look - now if you are going to miss you miss on speed.

15 years ago Duke Williams would 100% have made a roster. But the way NFL offense is now he is vulnerable to smaller, quicker, better change of direction guys. That to me can be the only logical reason that a guy who had Duke's pre-season ends up unclaimed and back here on our practice squad. I suspect before the season ends he gets his shot - either here or on another squad - but his offensive value is limited by his skillset. I just don't think that is deniable given the evidence we have in front of us. 

On watching him play on the field. 

...good call GB.....to paraphrase  McBeane quote..."the signing of Duke Williams changed our need to sign a WR draft pick early on as a top priority"....why such a statement if you do not believe in the kid's potential?....as far as 40 speed, how many WR's actually get to run 40 yards unimpeded anyway?.....Rice rumors span from 4.59 to 4.71......he was "marginally (COUGH)" okay, right?......Duke needs more seasoning at the NFL level IMO.....think it is safe to say he has moved on from his collegiate indiscretions and went to the CFL to prove so....

13 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Not a skill position player, but an extremely predictable name to throw out there.

Bottom line is that Duke will likely get a shot. Odds are long that he'll ever be a major contributor, but you're certainly entitled to that opinion. His play, when given his shot which I fully expect, will speak for itself.

Wait... now QB is NOT a skill position?!  :blink:

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...good call GB.....to paraphrase  McBeane quote..."the signing of Duke Williams changed our need to sign a WR draft pick early on as a top priority"....why such a statement if you do not believe in the kid's potential?....as far as 40 speed, how many WR's actually get to run 40 yards unimpeded anyway?.....Rice rumors span from 4.59 to 4.71......he was "marginally (COUGH)" okay, right?......Duke needs more seasoning at the NFL level IMO.....think it is safe to say he has moved on from his collegiate indiscretions and went to the CFL to prove so....

Why do people always try to make their case comparing a current marginal player to the best of all time? Rice had a work ethic second to none. Mentally he was better prepared on the field than any other player. Physically he was famous for his offseason workouts, so much so some of the best started training with him and copying him. His route running was far superior to pretty much any ones. He has 29% more career yards than the second place WR & 16% more career TDs than second place Emmitt Smith. Those are big percentages over the second place player in each category. He was a once in a lifetime player.

5 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Tell ya what. I'll join the fan club when Duke puts up a 100 yard game. Until that happens, my attention will be on the active players and upcoming games.

That's fine by me. Feel free to stop posting in this thread at any time.

I just responded to a post where you seemed to be at a loss for a time something happened, so I just wanted to promptly provide you with an example. And then you tried to sidetrack it by redefining what a skill position is.

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That's fine by me. Feel free to stop posting in this thread at any time.

I just responded to a post where you seemed to be at a loss for a time something happened, so I just wanted to promptly provide you with an example. And then you tried to sidetrack it by redefining what a skill position is.

It's semantics as to whether or not QB is viewed as a skill position. Technically, it's defined as players that touch the ball most frequently. So by default, QB would be the NUMBER ONE skill position. But in NFL vernacular, it's generally not referred to as a skill position.

The reason QB is different from WR or RB is that those positions are super dependent on measurables and it's very unlikely some stud is going to slip through the cracks, especially after multiple opportunities to display what they can do in camp and preseason. QB is such a cerebral position that it's more feasible that a guy with all the intangibles in the world but only adequate arm strength would never get that shot. There's an alternate world that could plausibly exist where Tom Brady is just some guy that played at Michigan 20 years ago. But Kurt Warner? It's possible to be struck by lighting, but that's the outlier of all outliers. 

As I said, once Duke starts dominating, you and I can celebrate the emergence of "the next big thing" in the pantheon of NFL history.

3 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

How's this thought process working out? Once again off the mark, this was ALL on AB. Biggest tire fire I've ever witnessed in the NFL. Yup Mayock could've handled it better and released him after the threat. It would've saved everyone the couple days of nonsense that ensued. Gruden couldn't find the right choice if someone handed it to him. 

Lol, that was before he release a video taping Gruden.  Gruden was allowing him to play week 1 and then AB put a video out that changed things again.  So just stop dude 

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol, that was before he release a video taping Gruden.  Gruden was allowing him to play week 1 and then AB put a video out that changed things again.  So just stop dude 

So wrong so many times. Dude you might be the Gruden of this board. Hindsight shows Mayock handled this well, AB was off the rails. Gruden also listed people who tried to make it work &...wait...for...it Mayock is listed as one of the people in the video from today's presser below. He wasn't asked about Mayock and didn't have to include him, but he did. You're soooooooo wrong, but you just keep banging your head off a brick wall trying to deny it. Bang...Bang....Bang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxsB56uv9-k

34 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

So wrong so many times. Dude you might be the Gruden of this board. Hindsight shows Mayock handled this well, AB was off the rails. Gruden also listed people who tried to make it work &...wait...for...it Mayock is listed as one of the people in the video from today's presser below. He wasn't asked about Mayock and didn't have to include him, but he did. You're soooooooo wrong, but you just keep banging your head off a brick wall trying to deny it. Bang...Bang....Bang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxsB56uv9-k

Seriously don’t even know what you are arguing anymore or why you’re bringing up AB in the duke thread so much.

Clearly Mayock did something wrong cuz they had to cut AB and now he’s gonna help Pats win another SB.

And you said I like to argue?  LMAO.  

And geezus, who cares about AB anyway.  My opinion is Mayock contributed to the problem too.  Who really cares, I mean it’s my opinion and I don’t have to justify it to you.  

• 4 weeks later...