Sign in to follow this  
lookylookyherecomescookie

Is this the Bills best qb pair since Kelly-Reich

It’s probably 2002 Bledsoe and Van Pelt no? Statistically they had the best year.

It’s too early to say anything about Allen and Barkley. If we’re going by last year they’re probably middle of the pack.

• Like (+1) 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

At this point I really don't think there's any reason to believe it's better than Manuel/Orton. I knowa lot of people are assuming that Allen will be here for 15 years, v and I hope he is, but he really have done a thing to earn that yet. If you redrafted today, he'd probably be the 4th QB taken.

Average at best ha ? 

Why don’t you name few backups that are better then Barkley , how many backup QB’s came last year and won games for their teams ? 

17 minutes ago, VW82 said:

It’s probably 2002 Bledsoe and Van Pelt no? Statistically they had the best year.

It’s too early to say anything about Allen and Barkley. If we’re going by last year they’re probably middle of the pack.

Let’s NOT forget who they had at WR position ! 

When you trade your # 2 WR AND get a 1st round pick for him BTW that’s more then what we got for Watkins 

Edited by Putin

Bar is pretty low...we haven't had a real starter since Kelly....The thing about Allen is that he is improving and seems smart....he doesn't look lost and looks in control. We should be pumped for the season

He’s still not accurate. Not sure if you forgot or not.  (Last night was only preseason)

• Haha (+1) 1

they both have a long way to go before any comparisons can be made. until barkley leads the team to the greatest come back in nfl history, there will be no real comparison.

how about giving them a few seasons of work before jumping to any conclusion.

From the standpoint of purely entertainment value, the 1997 duo of Todd “it’s not my fault” Collins and Billy Joe Hobert rate highly. 🙄

😁

I would say so.  I think our backup appears to be better than a lot of our starters in that time frame.

10 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

At this point I really don't think there's any reason to believe it's better than Manuel/Orton. I knowa lot of people are assuming that Allen will be here for 15 years, v and I hope he is, but he really have done a thing to earn that yet. If you redrafted today, he'd probably be the 4th QB taken.

Thats a bunch of bull.

2 hours ago, ******* said:

He’s still not accurate. Not sure if you forgot or not.  (Last night was only preseason)

Right I totally forgot they use magnets in preseason.

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm feeling good about our 1 - 2 punch at QB right now

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, nucci said:

Bar is pretty low...we haven't had a real starter since Kelly....The thing about Allen is that he is improving and seems smart....he doesn't look lost and looks in control. We should be pumped for the season

I suppose you forget that Drew Bledsoe has the franchise best passing season by a rather large margin. Kelly is my all time favorite but both Bledsoe and Flutie (pro bowl appearances as  Bills) were top tier NFL QB’s for part of the tenure in the Bills uniform.

Edited by Lenigmusx
Grammar😩

11 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I hate to be a naysayer (not really) but Barkely is an average backup at best. He has played great since coming to the Bills but he would likely get murdered if he had to play a few games. Yes, he played great against the Jets, but he still has a rag arm that cannot consistently beat NFL defenses in the regular season. He's smart, and accurate, and a great teammate, and will help Josh, but 90% of Bills fans IMO are way, way, way wrong about him I fear.

An average back up is an improvement.

We have had his skill level starting for us for years.  Now this level is where it’s supposed to be...backing up a (hopefully) franchise QB.

11 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

People aren’t drafting Jackson or Rosen over Allen.  Mayfield for sure.  Darnold...you’ll probably have a split.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

Johnson was sacked how many times?  The dude was horrible and impossible to watch.  Best since Kelly/Reich.

And Barkley has every bit as much arm strength as Dougie did with the Bills.

Also, he can manage a game, which is what you are looking for in a back up. Build a good team around your QB and a back up needs to win half of his starts for short durations of time.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

4 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I can't believe Barkley was just sitting on his couch for us to poach.  He's a guy who can legitimately start and win games in this league. 

IIRC, Barkley was coming off an injury and was not really available at the start of the season. That's why we picked up Derek Andersen first.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I hate to be a naysayer (not really) but Barkely is an average backup at best. He has played great since coming to the Bills but he would likely get murdered if he had to play a few games. Yes, he played great against the Jets, but he still has a rag arm that cannot consistently beat NFL defenses in the regular season. He's smart, and accurate, and a great teammate, and will help Josh, but 90% of Bills fans IMO are way, way, way wrong about him I fear.

I have to disagree.  I know Sullivan and others are beating the drum as him being an average backup, but I would much rather have a guy with a lifetime QB pedigree and some talent like Barkley, than a guy who is far more talented but doesn't see the game as well.  I am confident that Barkley can come in cold, run the offense and win games.  Also while I don't think  Barkley is going to turn into a starter in the future, sometimes guys come into their own a littler later than what is typical.  From what I have seen Barkley has progressed as a player and is a better QB than he was 2-3 years ago.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

1 hour ago, Lenigmusx said:

I suppose you forget that Drew Bledsoe has the franchise best passing season by a rather large margin. Kelly is my all time favorite but both Bledsoe and Flutie (pro bowl appearances as  Bills) were top tier NFL QB’s for part of the tenure in the Bills uniform.

I didn't forget...i liked Bledsoe but he really only had 1 good year and I'm not going to start on Flutie

19 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I have to disagree.  I know Sullivan and others are beating the drum as him being an average backup, but I would much rather have a guy with a lifetime QB pedigree and some talent like Barkley, than a guy who is far more talented but doesn't see the game as well.  I am confident that Barkley can come in cold, run the offense and win games.  Also while I don't think  Barkley is going to turn into a starter in the future, sometimes guys come into their own a littler later than what is typical.  From what I have seen Barkley has progressed as a player and is a better QB than he was 2-3 years ago.

When you don’t have the arm you don’t have the arm. You can get away with stuff some of the time in real games. He was always a smart qb 

Right now, we have 2 qbs with career qb ratings of 67.9 and 68.3.  Might be a little early for this.  

3 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BarkMa00.htm

we saw the best game and 2nd win of Barkley’s career.  Really good dude and great locker room guy but he is the definition of a journeyman qb.

In 11 years of playing, Kelly only completed 60% or more of his passes four times.  I hope Josh can be better than that.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

In 11 years of playing, Kelly only completed 60% or more of his passes four times.  I hope Josh can be better than that.

Completely different era.  We are in an era where Matt “Freakin” Stafford passes for 5,000 yards and Blake Bortels!!! Beat Kelly’s season high in yards twice!!!

16 hours ago, klos63 said:

Allen and Barkley really have to perform consistently well during the regular season. Preseason games still really don't mean much.

Barkley doesn't.

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Completely different era.  We are in an era where Matt “Freakin” Stafford passes for 5,000 yards and Blake Bortels!!! Beat Kelly’s season high in yards twice!!!

So the QB rating can be compared between different eras, but not completion percentage.  Got it.

cherry-picking.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1