Is this the Bills best qb pair since Kelly-Reich

On 8/17/2019 at 12:05 AM, Kelly the Dog said:

I hate to be a naysayer (not really) but Barkely is an average backup at best. He has played great since coming to the Bills but he would likely get murdered if he had to play a few games. Yes, he played great against the Jets, but he still has a rag arm that cannot consistently beat NFL defenses in the regular season. He's smart, and accurate, and a great teammate, and will help Josh, but 90% of Bills fans IMO are way, way, way wrong about him I fear.

Wrong about him being a good back-up?  And why would he get "murdered" if he had to play a few games, especially with a decent line in front of him?  I'm not saying Barkley is a Joe Montana, but the latter didn't have a big arm.

55 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You could do worse but top flight backup QBs aren’t sitting on their couch 7 weeks into the season.  

In your opinion who is a "top flight" backup QB? I guess Fitzpatrick? Maybe McCown? I would have said Foles but now he's starting, which is kind of the point. Top flight backups don't stay backups, they get chances to start. Barkley is serviceable which is all I need.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

In your opinion who is a "top flight" backup QB? I guess Fitzpatrick? Maybe McCown? I would have said Foles but now he's starting, which is kind of the point. Top flight backups don't stay backups, they get chances to start. Barkley is serviceable which is all I need.

I will say looking st the list of backups, it shows how awful the qb depth is.  But it’s like if Barkley is 5, he shouldn’t be a 7 or 8 because he is surrounded by 4 and 5s (though if you’re drunk ?). 

a2d78cb3-8b49-4b5e-b112-4a89245dcbb0-Get

Matt Barkley might be the Bills' most reliable backup QB since Frank Reich

Allen has all the skills and intangibles required to become a star, but he’s staring at a long journey with his second year just getting underway. Kelly’s he’s not, at least not yet.

In Barkley, the Bills have a polished player who’s got viable NFL experience under his belt and has proven that if you need him to play — see the Jets game in New York last year — he can get the job done.

“It’s good to have Matt,” coach Sean McDermott said. “I really appreciate the way he plays and his leadership on this team, the way he works, his work with Josh and Tyree (Jackson) and that’s an important piece as the backup quarterback. He’s done a real nice job to this point.”

Does Barkley have a Reich-like greatest-comeback-of-all-time game in him? Maybe not, but just the way he works with Allen brings back memories — fading as they are — of Kelly leaning on Reich, whom he often credits with helping him grow and mature as an NFL player and an eventual Hall of Famer.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:09 PM, BullBuchanan said:

At this point I really don't think there's any reason to believe it's better than Manuel/Orton. I knowa lot of people are assuming that Allen will be here for 15 years, v and I hope he is, but he really have done a thing to earn that yet. If you redrafted today, he'd probably be the 4th QB taken.

You'd seriously pick Rosen or Lamar over Josh.  Glad we have the Beaner.

Edited by BillsRdue

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

I wouldn't, but Jackson is now looked at on par or above Allen nationally.

They're smoking something. Allen has just as good legs and throws a much better ball. Lamar can not see the field. He's a glorified RB. I personally think Josh will be better than Darnold and in a year or two be at or better than Mayfield. Physically he is more gifted, it's just a matter of getting to read defenses pre-snap and make quicker decisions.  By next year Josh will have that down. I love his attitude and approach to the game. 

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

They're smoking something. Allen has just as good legs and throws a much better ball. Lamar can not see the field. He's a glorified RB. I personally think Josh will be better than Darnold and in a year or two be at or better than Mayfield. Physically he is more gifted, it's just a matter of getting to read defenses pre-snap and make quicker decisions.  By next year Josh will have that down. I love his attitude and approach to the game. 

I agree with you on Jackson. As of right now I don't think Jackson looks like a long term starter, but outside of Buffalo, I think a lot of folks think the same about Allen due to his accuracy issues and I've got a foot half in that camp.