Bills Training Camp: Day 4 - 7/28

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm honestly wondering who you are talking about. AJ McCarron? Is he what passes for a game proven vet these days?

Yeah, I’m not sure either. McCarron didn’t (get a chance to) show anything in Oakland to say they made a mistake in trading him and they got a draft pick for him. Plus he was not interested in mentoring Josh.   Maybe his play against Baltimore would have been less embarrassing than Peterman's was, but I doubt it would have affected the outcome of the game.   

The other name that was mentioned was Glenn, but he had a down year in Cincy as well and they traded him to try and get Josh. 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, I’m not sure either. McCarron didn’t (get a chance to) show anything in Oakland to say they made a mistake in trading him and they got a draft pick for him. Plus he was not interested in mentoring Josh.   Maybe his play against Baltimore would have been less embarrassing than Peterman's was, but I doubt it would have affected the outcome of the game.   

The other name that was mentioned was Glenn, but he had a down year in Cincy as well and they traded him to try and get Josh. 

Maybe he was talking about two years ago with some of the trades like Sammy Watkins or something, but Watkins hasn't done anything and we made the playoffs that year.

It's got to be McCarron he's talking about, which is silly because he hasn't played, but maybe the insinuation is that he would have done better than Peterman.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Agreed.

Peterman is a prime example of jumping to conclusions based on camp play.... now if he's doing these things in real action it's another story. 

And it's only been a few days of camp. Plenty of time for Foster to get in a groove and show up in the preseason games.

Edited by MJS

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Maybe he was talking about two years ago with some of the trades like Sammy Watkins or something, but Watkins hasn't done anything and we made the playoffs that year.

It's got to be McCarron he's talking about, which is silly be he hasn't played, but maybe the insinuation is that he would have done better than Peterman.

Well I mean it would of been hard to be worse though for some reason Peterman has taken McCarron's job on two teams at this point.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the point is, "practice the way you're gonna play".  To sell that in a game, Allen needs to be able to be looking elsewhere then turn his eyes at the last moment and hit Beasley.  He's not there yet which is fine, but it doesn't mean it's not something to note and work on.

What they actually want is for him to recognize nickle corner in man and zone outside. That's the point of that drill. I can guarantee Daboll does not want Josh looking at a crossing route and then turning his entire body to hit the out.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Well I mean it would of been hard to be worse though for some reason Peterman has taken McCarron's job on two teams at this point.

Wow! That’s right. I didn’t make the connection. ?

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Glenn? I’m drawing blanks on trades last year. 

I dont see a reason why we need to get rid of shady even if the other RBs have good camp. We have cap room. He’s a leader. Decent in passing game. 

I think he was talking McCarron and leaving Peterman as the starter.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Tyree Jackson at TE.  Has the perfect body for it, already knows the routes, and most importantly he looks exactly like a young Tony Gonzales.   

#TheNextTonyGonz

He would probably hate to make the switch, but intriguing idea considering his size, wheels, and knowledge of the game from a QB perspective.

38 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Sounds like Foster came into camp expecting to start and maybe got down/frustrated/upset to see he had to earn it and McD is working to teach the young player the all important mental side of the game and commitment.  

The fact McD is publicly talking about it to me sends a signal they believe in the kid and working to teach him how to be a pro more than anything.  People forget Foster worked hard this offseason too as he was wherever Josh was working out with him this offseason.  

I think Foster is going to be a big part of this offense still and McD is focused on getting this kid in position to teach his potential.  John brown and Cole are the perfect Vets to be around for him too in that WR room

Exactly... that’s even a better reason than the one I came up with as to why his body language is the way it is... I swear u can’t win with Bills fans sometimes... Almost to the point where they WANT to be depressed cuz they’re so used to it... Some are so quick to get rid of the best running back we’ve had since Freddy and now they’re losing their mind over Fosters body language and dropped passes in “practice”...

Like we said, the same people are forgetting that this is the SAME person who stayed with Allen in the offseason to get better smh...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Sounds like Foster came into camp expecting to start and maybe got down/frustrated/upset to see he had to earn it and McD is working to teach the young player the all important mental side of the game and commitment.  

The fact McD is publicly talking about it to me sends a signal they believe in the kid and working to teach him how to be a pro more than anything.  People forget Foster worked hard this offseason too as he was wherever Josh was working out with him this offseason.  

I think Foster is going to be a big part of this offense still and McD is focused on getting this kid in position to teach his potential.  John brown and Cole are the perfect Vets to be around for him too in that WR room

You could be absolutely correct.  It also could have a lot to do with Brown being even better than expected at route running.  

I know many people thought it would be Brown at 1 WR and Foster at the other both running a bunch of go routes.  I think Brown has shown versatility and both horizontal and vertical speed and they are using that.  These routes are not as good for Foster and he is struggling.  Late last year he was good on go routes and deep crossing and out routes, but seemed to struggle with other route combos.

I think they want to get his attention and get him to “evolve” into a more complete WR. He needs to learn and get better at other routes and now is the time.  Knock him down a peg and rebuild his confidence throughout camp.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Or as some ray of sunshine who hates TC but goes anyway would say Allen was indecisive and the defense was laying off.

The language of the tweet was a bit muddy.  "Late in his progression" could mean Josh Allen was slow making his reads or (more likely) It was his third or fourth read rather than his first or second. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

The language of the tweet was a bit muddy.  "Late in his progression" could mean Josh Allen was slow making his reads or (more likely) It was his third or fourth read rather than his first or second. 

?I too read it like 3rd or later read.

12 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

. Ball was way behind John Brown

guy is just that fast  :)

Outrunning an Allen pass... now that is some serious speed. Allen will adjust to it, as he did with Foster last season, then defenses better keep a few guys really deep.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A fair take, but it's also worth noting that there's still work to be done.

I’m not sure it matters for Beasley. I see him primarily as a man beater in the short area. Only people reading the QB eyes in man are robbers or single high safeties. I don’t think either are making a play on that ball. Lastly if it’s an option route doesn’t he need to read the cut?