Bills Training Camp: Day 4 - 7/28

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

It couldve been a pre-snap read Josh made to go there based on the defense. 

3 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Actually Josh is looking at the other WR which is why the DB never took off for Beasley. Nice try though whoever that Joey guy is.

I dunno, I have seen Allen stare down a few targets before, but remember how raw he was in regards to running a pro-style offense. Since that was an out with what looked like man coverage, with the other DB cleared out of the zone, there is little to be concerned about considering Allen's arm/velocity would place it where only Beasley could make the play.

I think objectively what we are seeing is a QB who is starting to know where he needs to go with the ball in this offense with certain defensive looks and that is progress. Looking away safeties, linemen, or linebackers dropping into lanes watching his eyes will come with time. I have seen him do it more and more so I have some confidence that he will continue to hone that aspect of his game.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

Exactly... that’s even a better reason than the one I came up with as to why his body language is the way it is... I swear u can’t win with Bills fans sometimes... Almost to the point where they WANT to be depressed cuz they’re so used to it... Some are so quick to get rid of the best running back we’ve had since Freddy and now they’re losing their mind over Fosters body language and dropped passes in “practice”...

Like we said, the same people are forgetting that this is the SAME person who stayed with Allen in the offseason to get better smh...

Yeah and Foster also shined yesterday too.  Still amazes me how some people over react over a single practice good and bad.

Interesting development today was Zay was dinged up again.  Could open the door for Foster to get even more opportunities in the short term and it will be up to him to take advantage of that and go out and make it hard for the coaches to keep him off the field.  Pretty much like what Knox and Singletary have been doing as young players...making everyone pay attention and turning heads with plays on the field so they can make it harder and harder for the coaches to keep them off the field.  

Its still VERY early in camp.  As I have said in other posts, I think the there has been minimal rotation on the OL and the WR group with Josh for the sole purpose of getting Josh as comfortable and in rhythm as possible to start camp.  Nothing is even as remotely close to as important as to Josh getting off to a strong start.  Rotating his protection and receiving options a lot early would not help that cause.  I think the WR battle and OL battle will heat up more and see more combos once camp ends and they get into practices for Pre-Season.  There is clearly a lot of depth there and a good competition to be had at both those positions, but also don't want to keep changing things up on our young QB entering his first camp as the unquestioned starter.  REPS REPS AND MORE REPS with a consistent group is I think the name of this camp right now.  

I expect Foster to get plenty of chances to compete to start, whether or not he seizes those opportunities is on him though, and McD is clearly sending him a message and working on his mental approach to the game to help the kid reach his potential. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

You could be absolutely correct.  It also could have a lot to do with Brown being even better than expected at route running.  

I know many people thought it would be Brown at 1 WR and Foster at the other both running a bunch of go routes.  I think Brown has shown versatility and both horizontal and vertical speed and they are using that.  These routes are not as good for Foster and he is struggling.  Late last year he was good on go routes and deep crossing and out routes, but seemed to struggle with other route combos.

I think they want to get his attention and get him to “evolve” into a more complete WR. He needs to learn and get better at other routes and now is the time.  Knock him down a peg and rebuild his confidence throughout camp.

Yeah I agree and that was the big thing for Foster entering year 2, expanding his route tree and doing those other routes consistently if he is going to be a starting NFL WR.  If his route tree is limited then he will be a situational player.  And I think his success last year probably set his own personal expectations of his role too high before he's really shown the growth as a more dynamic player.  McD basically checked those at the door and is making him earn it and now Foster has have the mental toughness and professionalism to work at his craft to make it hard to impossible for coaches to keep him off the field.  

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Outrunning an Allen pass... now that is some serious speed. Allen will adjust to it, as he did with Foster last season, then defenses better keep a few guys really deep.

I have a ton of faith in what Daboll / Hall is going to do with WRs. Allen has to be excited with the attention McBeanes put on offense this offseason.

i am.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Singletary seems to be having a pretty good day today.

But But But he's slow...:rolleyes:

I feel the mea culpas for horrible post draft takes on Singletary this year might rival those for Josh the year before

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I'm honestly wondering who you are talking about. AJ McCarron? Is he what passes for a game proven vet these days?

Haha fair point, but he was certainly the only QB the Bills had on the roster last year that had any pretention of showing competent NFL QB'ing in an actual NFL game.

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think Oliver will be an entrenched starter by the end of camp.

Or to put a little bit of a different spin on it: if Oliver isn't an entrenched starter by the end of camp, it will only be because Jordan Phillips has shown more.  Which is great.

• Like (+1) 2

Instead of a rotation, I think it's better to let a players performance dictate their roster placement.  If a player is excelling with the 2's give him looks with the ones.  If a player is struggling or not performing at a considerable difference then give them practice rotation.  Wholesale changes across positional groups holds the team back.  On the offensive line it's not as easy as playing the best 5 but the best 5 together.

5 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I feel the mea culpas for horrible post draft takes on Singletary this year might rival those for Josh the year before

Thurman was "slow" too. He was not the kind of guy to reverse field and break for 40 yards. If you have a good line and a back who's shifty and has some vision, never hate a guy who can regularly pick up 7-10 yards. I don't know if that's Singletary but that's all anyone needs. Not everyone is Sequon Barkley, who I'd say is the currently most talented back in the NFL. 

The thing I'm happy to hear is how he's apparently a willing and decent blocker. 

11 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I mean there was definitely a group of people that were upset with the pick but I think a lot of that came from people really wanting us to take a WR.

1 hour ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

Exactly... that’s even a better reason than the one I came up with as to why his body language is the way it is... I swear u can’t win with Bills fans sometimes... Almost to the point where they WANT to be depressed cuz they’re so used to it... Some are so quick to get rid of the best running back we’ve had since Freddy and now they’re losing their mind over Fosters body language and dropped passes in “practice”...

Like we said, the same people are forgetting that this is the SAME person who stayed with Allen in the offseason to get better smh...

Settle down with the "meta analysis" of your fellow fans mindsets.  No one is "losing their mind" over Foster. 

For a young guy trying to make his name, dropped passes in practice matter, especially if there's strong competition at a position.  If they didn't, we wouldn't have Daboll yelling about it and observers pointing it out. 

9 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I think his pre draft work outs were impacted by his in season work load.  He never had time to recover.  Get him in a professional athlete weight program will do wonders.  Plus being paired with McCoy and Gore he will learn how to properly recover.  Barring any unforeseen I think Singeltary has a Cohen type of impact for the offense.  10 to 15 touches a game and infuses some electric plays to the offense.  

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I mean there was definitely a group of people that were upset with the pick but I think a lot of that came from people really wanting us to take a WR.

Fair enough - but still doesn't excuse the whole "slow" argument so many were complaining about based on a 40 time - less than one minute of watching his highlights you see he has speed, acceleration and quickness in spades where it actually counts for a RB

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I hear from where you are coming from. But those in game issues are solved via practice. So was cut and signed to PS where he busted his but to get better after being humbled. Now comes into camp (After Bills signing same type of player, that runs better routes, in UFA) as he arrived and back to loafing. Yelled at by Josh Yesterday. Called out by McD. Maybe those will get his light back on and the feeling of I have arrived gone. 

I think this is exactly what McDermott and his position coach are hoping to achieve.   They want to keep him and he'll get every chance, but he has to understand they are going to have to cut some WR they'd probably rather keep, so he needs to be saying "what can I do to get better and be a more complete WR every day?" not "I led the team last year in Y/R and YPG, why am I with the 2s?"

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I think his pre draft work outs were impacted by his in season work load.  He never had time to recover.  Get him in a professional athlete weight program will do wonders.  Plus being paired with McCoy and Gore he will learn how to properly recover.  Barring any unforeseen I think Singeltary has a Cohen type of impact for the offense.  10 to 15 touches a game and infuses some electric plays to the offense.  

he is blessed to have two mentors such as Gore and McCoy. hope he takes full advantage of such a star crossed moment

3 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

It’s all about being able to shake off a bad play and keep plugging. Perhaps the most important trait a player can have. This was nice to read.

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks to everyone for their posts.  Excellent insights.  

Hapless, particularly your hard-nosed analysis of what's going on with Foster.  It sounds exactly correct. 

What we're seeing is what McBeane have been preaching. They want people who will compete every day, and they want at least enough talent so that the guy who competes the hardest gets the job AND can compete against NFL competition.  In this case, Foster could end up being the residue in a very public competition.  

You don't compete, you don't survive.  

And let's face it, the same thing is happening on the o line and at running back.  In fact it's happening at every position.  Don't think for a minute that those d linemen and DBs aren't competing every day. 

If you can say one thing about the Bills McBeane are trying to build, it's that they compete. They will compete every Sunday.  

This is going to be fun. 

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2