Sign in to follow this  
HOUSE

Expect to see a different Trent Murphy in 2019

I'm not expecting much from Murphy and am already in the camp of whatever production we get is a bonus.  Could also see him with a chance to not even make the final 53 if McBeane sees something in other players and they can save some $

I feel like seeing him at all this season would be an upgrade over last year

The sky's the limit for this defense...

Players routinely come back from ACL injuries in less than a year and are fairly productive soon after they hit the field.  There are some exceptions.  Tod Gurley has developed an arthritic knee as a consequence of a college ACL.  It's probably going to affect him the rest of his career.  An ACL in conjunction with an MCL is a different animal.  I can see where recover would be longer and prone to more bumps in the road.  Let's hope he's past that point now.

16 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I'm not expecting much from Murphy and am already in the camp of whatever production we get is a bonus.  Could also see him with a chance to not even make the final 53 if McBeane sees something in other players and they can save some $

Murphy would have to take a major step back for that to happen, or someone else (Shaq?) would have to take a major step forward. Neither seems likely.

I just hope a different Trent Murphy is better than a different Danny Batten... remember that, when he came in with that new attitude? 

I actually think Trent will be very good this year...

Top 10 in league in total sacks by team was 44 or more in '18. Bills had 36. Sacks broke down this way for them:

D Line: 20 (Hughes 7, K Williams 5, Lawson & Murphy 4 each)

L. Alexander (hybrid LB/edge): 6.5

Other LBs: 4

DBs: 5.5

Blueprint  to get to top 10:

DL: 27

Alexander: 5

Other LBs:  7

DBs: 6

I think that is very possible. Good years from Hughes, Murphy Oliver and Lawson get them to 27 easily. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Well yeah, that was the point of the article. 

#1 I didn’t read the article

#2 I don’t expect much from Murphy in 2019 even though the title suggests to “expect to see a different Murphy”

# 3 is this making sense now or do I need to explain further?

#4 deeznutz

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Right, I agree, and that is probably what they'll do.  It looks like the plan this season is to roll with what they got on the roster right now.

well, the draft and free agency is over so....not many major moves you can make. They feel confident about Murphy being healthy

27 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

#2 I don’t expect much from Murphy in 2019 even though the title suggests to “expect to see a different Murphy”

#4 deeznutz

No, #1 explains it all.

He and Shaq can be an excellent rotation.  Both good at run stop and batting balls/changing throws.  Trent is a good forced fumble guy too with those long arms.  I think he'll be ready to rip it up on opening day.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

#4 deeznutz

Clap off

• Haha (+1) 1

A good test for the Bills' medical staff and state of the art strength and rehab facilities.

Wish him well...there were some PEDs issues too I believe.

The PEDs thing to me seemed more related to the Redskins mismanaging his role than anything else.

Selected as an outside linebacker they moved him to end and he had to put on 30 lbs for the role and he performed well playing there.

Injuries to their linebacker Galette had them asking him to switch back to linebacker and asked to cut weight and I think he was looking for an edge to help with that.

Either way if he comes back and can anchor that right side and get some push, it is not a bad gamble.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Top 10 in league in total sacks by team was 44 or more in '18. Bills had 36. Sacks broke down this way for them:

D Line: 20 (Hughes 7, K Williams 5, Lawson & Murphy 4 each)

L. Alexander (hybrid LB/edge): 6.5

Other LBs: 4

DBs: 5.5

Blueprint  to get to top 10:

DL: 27

Alexander: 5

Other LBs:  7

DBs: 6

I think that is very possible. Good years from Hughes, Murphy Oliver and Lawson get them to 27 easily. 

Would it be asking too much to have all 27 of those be against Brady?

Edited by MikeSpeed

5 minutes ago, WideNine said:

A good test for the Bills' medical staff and state of the art strength and rehab facilities.

The PEDs thing to me seemed more related to the Redskins mismanaging his role than anything else.

Selected as an outside linebacker they moved him to end and he had to put on 30 lbs for the role and he performed well playing there.

Injuries to their linebacker Galette had them asking him to switch back to linebacker and asked to cut weight and I think he was looking for an edge to help with that.

Either way if he comes back and can anchor that right side and get some push, it is not a bad gamble.

Maybe he thought about retiring...

Mr. Murphy is a big old question mark.  He needs to make good on the commitment this year or it's curtains.

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Not so much contract dollar wise, but more position wise.  They drafted a DE/edge in the fifth round, which I don't think really addresses the need in the position; to me that is more depth than starter potential.  With the articles about Murphy supposedly looking better this year and the ACL injury behind him, it seems that they expect Trent to be a force this season.

Yes, I think that's a fair point - not "eggs in the basket" in terms of cap tied up, but in terms of contributions expected.

I'm concerned that he's a guy who put his livelihood into the steroid basket, so to speak.  And those guys typically struggle to come back.

I have been saying this offseason that I think Trent will turn some heads and surprise his detractors...as long as he stays healthy.  So I agree with this article and think he could be in store of a good season.  Biggest concern for me is him staying healthy. 

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

I dunno about that.  Someone posted info at one point about the gym where Murphy trains, and it's centered towards pro bodybuilders and kind of known as a steroid gym.

Maybe he's changed training centers since then, I hope so

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, I think that's a fair point - not "eggs in the basket" in terms of cap tied up, but in terms of contributions expected.

I'm concerned that he's a guy who put his livelihood into the steroid basket, so to speak.  And those guys typically struggle to come back.

Right.  This is why I lean toward expecting the defensive line to struggle a bit, at least early on in the season.  Murphy may not live up to expectations, Lawson is 50/50, then there is not much else at DE save Hughes.  I suspect Oliver will need some time to adjust to professional guards and centers and may not "live in the backfield" initially.  Pressure will be on McD and Frazier to make adjustments; I don't think they will be able to rely on a four man rush to get pressure on the passer.

• Like (+1) 1

If he has a great season this year our defense will be scary.

3 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

He didn't put many eggs in Murphy's basket actually.

Trent has a very small contract compared to others, and they can release him next year with almost no dead cap if he doesn't work out.

While I don't think his contract is crippling or anything, it's pretty big relative to the roster.  3 years, $22.5M with the 5th biggest cap hit on the team this season and next.  If he's cut he'd have dead money of $6.5M this off-season or $1.75M next.  Again, it's not an enormous contract, but it isn't small either.  This is definitely a make or break year for Murphy.  We need him to play well.  It's important for him too because he won't see the last year of his deal if he doesn't.