Sign in to follow this  
HOUSE

Expect to see a different Trent Murphy in 2019

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

While I don't think his contract is crippling or anything, it's pretty big relative to the roster.  3 years, $22.5M with the 5th biggest cap hit on the team this season and next.  If he's cut he'd have dead money of $6.5M this off-season or $1.75M next.  Again, it's not an enormous contract, but it isn't small either.  This is definitely a make or break year for Murphy.  We need him to play well.  It's important for him too because he won't see the last year of his deal if he doesn't.  

You don't go against the roster you just look at the other DEs in the league. It is a very small contract and $1.75m is nothing in the grand scheme of things if they let him go next year.

Edited by Boca BIlls

4 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

He didn't put many eggs in Murphy's basket actually.

Trent has a very small contract compared to others, and they can release him next year with almost no dead cap if he doesn't work out.

Yep....I wish ppl would stop saying untrue ***** when it comes to Beane's contracts.......this is what a well run organization looks like

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

You don't go against the roster you just look at the other DEs in the league. It is a very small contract and $1.75m is nothing in the grand scheme of things if they let him go next year.

You were underselling the situation by a fair bit.  You wrote that he has a “very small contract compared to others” and that he could be released next year with “almost no dead cap”.  That wasn’t accurate so I provided details.  

Also a player’s contract is important in BOTH contexts - relative to players at the same position around the league and to the other players on his own team.  He’s got cap hits that will be around 4.6% of the total league cap this year and next.  That’s significant.  He’s got the 5th highest on the team and 33rd among edge players in the league.  Also significant (not “very small”).  The $1.75M hit if cut next offseason matters. It isn’t that bad, but it’s not “nothing“.  Players get cut for less than that all the time.  Again, in no sense is this some horrible albatross of a contract, but it isn’t nothing either.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno about that.  Someone posted info at one point about the gym where Murphy trains, and it's centered towards pro bodybuilders and kind of known as a steroid gym.

Maybe he's changed training centers since then, I hope so

The positive PED test worried me more than the injury - and the injury did worry me. Not only is he looking at a year long suspension if he tests positive again, there’s also the risk that he won’t return to form without juicing again. I remember Shawn Merriman oscillating between Pro Bowls and below average play after testing positive.  I hope Murphy doesn’t need them and plays big for us this year, but I worry.  We don’t have anyone else to give us a pass rush opposite Hughes. 

2 hours ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

U gotta clap twice dum dum

Nope - once did it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

It would be huge to see Murphy resurrect his career and regain his form. Especially at a time of such skepticism. The Bills could really use his help.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Isn't it king of strange that as fans we never think about these guys being injured? I mean, sure, we talk about injuries that keep guys off the field.  But, for whatever reason, we never talk about how a nagging injury may be affecting the level of play. Why is that? 

My son tore his ACL and MCL in spring ball after freshman year. He had surgery 6/24 and was back on a basketball court for a Thanksgiving Day tournament. That’s only 5 months. CRAZY! He was playing, but he wasn’t nearly himself. He “could play” but he couldn’t trust it. It took well over a year before he could play without thinking of it. By his senior year in football he was first team all area with colleges calling on him weekly. It’s partly physical, and incredibly mental. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I'm not expecting much from Murphy and am already in the camp of whatever production we get is a bonus.  Could also see him with a chance to not even make the final 53 if McBeane sees something in other players and they can save some $

First he will make the 53 - that he would not makes zero sense.

Just to understand, a player can not get better year to year or return to form.  Not true but interesting.

6 hours ago, WideNine said:

A good test for the Bills' medical staff and state of the art strength and rehab facilities.

Wish him well...there were some PEDs issues too I believe.

The PEDs thing to me seemed more related to the Redskins mismanaging his role than anything else.

Selected as an outside linebacker they moved him to end and he had to put on 30 lbs for the role and he performed well playing there.

Injuries to their linebacker Galette had them asking him to switch back to linebacker and asked to cut weight and I think he was looking for an edge to help with that.

Either way if he comes back and can anchor that right side and get some push, it is not a bad gamble.

nice addition to the backstory Wide.

Looks like Bills feel pretty good with him this year. lets hope they are correct.
Murphy has skills that is for sure

• Thanks! (+1) 1

We have no reason to believe that Murphy can be productive until we actually see it.

Color me skeptical, to say the least.

If Murphy is healthy and productive, along with Hughes and Oliver......I’m EXCITED!   

10 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Oh ya, I’m expecting 17-23 sacks this year from Trent.

In 7 games that he is semi-healthy 😱

8 hours ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

I just hope a different Trent Murphy is better than a different Danny Batten... remember that, when he came in with that new attitude? 

I actually think Trent will be very good this year...

I remember when the Bills drafted him (because Antonio Brown didn't answer their phone call.......Batten was Billsy).

In the opener vs San Diego last year I paid a lot of attention to him, because I was skeptical.

I thought he had a good game. A few tackles, a stuff, a pressure or two.

He showed a nice complimentary quickness off the edge to Hughes.

I don't know if I buy in, but he has the ability. Unfortunately he rarely has the most important ability, availability.

Wishing him well this year. It would help Hughes and Lorax, and the DTs.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno about that.  Someone posted info at one point about the gym where Murphy trains, and it's centered towards pro bodybuilders and kind of known as a steroid gym.

Maybe he's changed training centers since then, I hope so

Me too. Plenty if those places are run by hacks.

There is a lot of good reputable university programs for exercise and sports science these days. 

I am sure the Bills have a few qualified resources on their training staff.

Posted (edited)

Well, at this point they're paying him $11 million dollars a year, so he damn well better be less useless than he has been. This is easily the worst signing of their tenure. This guy should have been on a one year-vet minimum prove-it deal, but leave it to Beane to pay the max. If he was on a one-year deal last season he'd be unsigned right now.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Skeptical 1

Let me put it this way- he can't really contribute any less than last season, can he? So any improvement is a bonus.

12 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Not so much contract dollar wise, but more position wise.  They drafted a DE/edge in the fifth round, which I don't think really addresses the need in the position; to me that is more depth than starter potential.  With the articles about Murphy supposedly looking better this year and the ACL injury behind him, it seems that they expect Trent to be a force this season.

Because we got two guys where we need to see what we have.

29 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Well, at this point they're paying him $11 million dollars a year, so he damn well better be less useless than he has been. This is easily the worst signing of their tenure. This guy should have been on a one year-vet minimum prove-it deal, but leave it to Beane to pay the max. If he was on a one-year deal last season he'd be unsigned right now.

Its one season dude and everyone knew he was recovering from an injury.  That would be why we got him so cheap.  There are risks when you look for a bargain.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Wow....

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Trent Murphy's total cap hit is 8.7 million. Dead cap is 6.5 million.

How do you inflate it to 11 million?

Do you work for CNN?

Edited by RocCityRoller

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Me too. Plenty if those places are run by hacks.

There is a lot of good reputable university programs for exercise and sports science these days. 

I am sure the Bills have a few qualified resources on their training staff.

Good hopefully he doesnt get caught.  Its his body that got injured and its his body he is be trying to rebuild.  Not the NFLs or the governments.

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Because we got two guys where we need to see what we have.

Its one season dude and everyone knew he was recovering from an injury.  That would be why we got him so cheap.  There are risks when you look for a bargain.

Cheap? In what world is $7.5 million dollars for a guy that couldn't play, who averages 4.5 sacks a year, cheap?

They got baited hard and everyone else is laughing at them.

Just now, RocCityRoller said:

Wow....

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Trent Murphy's total cap hit is 8.7 million. Dead cap is 6.5 million.

How do you inflate it to 11 million?

Do you work for CNN?

Well we paid him 7.5 million to not play last year. It might even be worse by the time he misses half of this season. Want me to break it down per snap?