Beane disappoints everyone and lands a future All Pro LT

I wouldn’t see this as a disappointment. They would be investing in protecting the potential face of the Franchise in Allen. What’s not to like. Let’s face it, this teams future success or failure rest on #17’s shoulders. Build up around him, and let’s go. 

Would much, much, much prefer Oliver in this scenario.  Thus, I would be disappointed in Jonah Williams.  I don’t worry about JW’s technique, but I do worry somewhat about his athleticism.  It adequate but it isn’t elite or even above average for an OT. For me 9 is too high for a player that doesn’t check both boxes - tape and measurables.  I’m not saying he won’t be good, just that I don’t take the risk there.  Give me Oliver.  (Before anyone says it, I don’t have any issue with his playing weight.  It’s enough that it is not a negative at all.)

Edited to add that I’d have no issue with taking an OT at 9 that did check both boxes. 

Edited by BarleyNY

36 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Would much, much, much prefer Oliver in this scenario.  Thus, I would be disappointed in Jonah Williams.  I don’t worry about JW’s technique, but I do worry somewhat about his athleticism.  It adequate but it isn’t elite or even above average for an OT. For me 9 is too high for a player that doesn’t check both boxes - tape and measurables.  I’m not saying he won’t be good, just that I don’t take the risk there.  Give me Oliver.  (Before anyone says it, I don’t have any issue with his playing weight.  It’s enough that it is not a negative at all.)

Edited to add that I’d have no issue with taking an OT at 9 that did check both boxes. 

Yeah if you are willing to settle for a solid LT then why not just try to keep developing Dawkins there?     I think DD's ceiling is in general higher as an OL.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 947 said:

Jonah Williams will never be a starting LT in the NFL, let alone an All Pro. All Pro Guard?, I could maybe see that.

Why?

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

For the record, if ANYONE we draft ANYWHERE turns out to be an all pro, I won't be the least bit disappointed.

Good point. I'm thinking more in the moment than in the future 

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

1. Arizona - Murray

2. Raiders - Trade with San Francisco Bosa 

3. NY Jets - Allen 

4. San Francisco - Quinnen Williams

5. Tampa Bay - White

6.  NY Giants  - Sweat - this is my most unsure pick.  Sweat could go as high as 5 and fall as low as 25

7. Jacksonville - Taylor 

8. Detroit - Bush 

9. Buffalo - Jonah Williams

This is what I think will happen not what I would do if I was GM for most of these clubs.  I think Beane tries to trade down but can't find any suitors.  I believe McDermott does not want an undersized Oliver at DT that argued with his coach.  I think Dawkins took a step back in both run and pass blocking last year and Nsekhe is at best a one year retread rental at RT.  I believe Beane would be happy landing Taylor, Williams, or Dillard but loathes to do so at #9.  Lastly, while I would take Hockenson or Fant at #9, I think the board is probably correct in that teams just don't put first round grades on TE's that often and Beane won't either.  With the top 7 defenders off the board, Beane albeit reluctantly takes a future All-Pro LT.

No way we pass on Oliver.  No.  Way.  

Not that he’ll be there anyway.  

Why would people be upset about Jonah Williams?  He's a stud prospect to help anchor our OL for our stud in the making QB.  

Is it sexy as some of the other choices...no, but OL never are.  But I doubt people will be truly disappointed if that happened.  

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah if you are willing to settle for a solid LT then why not just try to keep developing Dawkins there?     I think DD's ceiling is in general higher as an OL.    

Yup.  Especially since the guy you’d be drafting might not even end up playing OT. 

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I'm not thrilled with Dawkins but I think his ceiling is as high as Jonah Williams at LT and HIGHER at guard.

If I am taking a LT that early I don't want a "solid" one...........I want one I won't mind giving a $100M contract extension to after 4 years..

The whole 5th year option and the escalating AAV's on contracts of edge players is an evolving factor in how teams should use first round picks...........you really want the massive ceiling with a top 10 pick...........you don't want to pay a Bulaga $18M per year just because you don't want to go from OK to nothing.        

If the LT is that good it’d be after 5 years with the option, right?

8 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

If the LT is that good it’d be after 5 years with the option, right?

You have to pick up the year 5 option after 3 years..........but you can also sign an extension at that point.    

Only about half of first round contracts get that 5th year option picked up another group signs extensions prior.

Playing your 5th year on the option is becoming viewed more and more like a franchise tag...........you want to know for sure by the end of year 4.........and with a LT hopefully A LOT sooner.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

There no way on Gods green earth that Beane takes Jonah over Oliver/ Hock.  Not happening!

Thus my point, if it happened almost everyone on this board goes nuts.

22 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

How many All Pro LT's have Super Bowl rings?

Joe Thomas never even made the playoffs.

Orlando Pace

Jonathan Ogden

Walter Jones played in SB stolen by the refs from Seattle

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Orlando Pace

Jonathan Ogden

Cool. So 2... The other 20 in that timeframe weren't. The Steelers started Jonathan Scott of Buffalo Bills legend for their 2010 SB appearance.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Orlando Pace

Jonathan Ogden

I have absolutely no problem picking Jonah if Oliver/TJ are gone. I have Jonah Williams higher than Taylor/Dillard. Now if we go DB or Metcalf @9 I will lose it....

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Orlando Pace

Jonathan Ogden

Jumbo Elliot wasn't so bad either. I also heard that Art Shell was decent.

Edited by Bill from NYC

My predictions were awful.  Nailed Sweat being a possible guy to fall. Wasn't too far off for Bush.  Williams didn't last long after Bills passed on him.

I hope McBeane chose wisely. Interior pass rush would be great.  I'm just worried Oliver is too small to play DT at the NFL level.  Hopefully he can use his quickness whiel he adds ten or fifteen pounds over the next couple of years