Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Franchiseneedsme

Offensive weapons or finish the Defence?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Seems like the Bill's have a choice with how to attack the draft. Grab a DE and DT or #1 WR and TE.   The more I think about the choice I have settled on Offence and here's why. This team has done a ton of work to shore up The O-line, CB, Special teams, and complimentary WR positions. But the Bill's still arnt ready to compete for A Superbowl. Tom Brady is still great and even though he is getting older and the roster isn't elite, I think they are still going to win the division. My reason for drafting DK Metcalf and then trading up for one of the top 3 TE's is this.... playmakers take time to learn the NFL game and get Chemistry. I think it will be better to use the $80M+ in cap space and draft picks to finish the defence next offseason (make it Elite) and then the young playmakers will be ready to dominate.  It's hard to pass on the Defensive talent like Oliver or Burns But the Bills will be in Position to draft the same kind of talent next year and be productive right away. 

 

Edited by Franchiseneedsme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have 10 picks I see them using maybe 5 of those picks to move back up. I hope they take 10 picks and turn it into 4 guys in the first 2 rounds.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to go Dline, the draft is loaded with DTs and DEs.  Right now, I think it may be the weakest position on our roster.  Notice that the DLine was not addressed in FA thus far; I'm expecting multiple draft picks for DE and DT.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best player available on big board at WR, TE, DT, OT, or DE in 1st round..

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally am not convinced they are "there" on the offensive line either. Will they be better than last year? Absolutely! But will they be a team strength or just "more competitve"? I'd like to see an elite guard or tackle added to go with a top end  D lineman (edge or elsewise) in the first 2 rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To win, you need to win the line of scrimmage. We've focused on Oline in free agency, not let's focus on the Dline in a draft rich with Dline talent.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Best player available on big board at WR, TE, DT, OT, or DE in 1st round..

Correct.  BPA.  

 

You know when McD says he wants to play complementary football, he means that the whole team wins or loses.  It isn't about one unit not being good enough or behind the other.  It's about how good is the whole team.

 

If the offense gets better, that's good for the team.  If the defense gets better, it's good for the team. So even though you might want to build the offense, if the best player happens to play defense, that means the defense gets better and the team gets better.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Offense at 9.  Move up late 1st and get DT. 

 

Hock

then Lawrence or Wilkins

then best OLine

then RB

then DT

WR

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beane’s set then up nicely to take Best Player Available (which will most likely be a defensive player).

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great debatable question! I’m thinking we use our 1st on the DL and then use the majority on the offense. If we can get 3-4 valuable offensive players in this draft by any means available to us, trading play(s), moving up in the draft by packaging picks in this year’s draft and/or next year’s, then I’m all for it. I would stop short of using next year’s 1st rd pick though. The window of opportunity is not that big with players on a roster (3-5 years?). I want to utilize the Jerry Hughes, Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer and especially the tandem of McCoy and Gore.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give Allen the best chance to make it.  Draft a TE and an OT in two of the first three rounds. Then add no less than 4 front 7 defenders.  Finish the draft off with a RB and a Punter. Trade the rest of the picks to move up or preferably for more picks in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

Seems like the Bill's have a choice with how to attack the draft. Grab a DE and DT or #1 WR and TE.   The more I think about the choice I have settled on Offence and here's why. This team has done a ton of work to shore up The O-line, CB, Special teams, and complimentary WR positions. But the Bill's still arnt ready to compete for A Superbowl. Tom Brady is still great and even though he is getting older and the roster isn't elite, I think they are still going to win the division. My reason for drafting DK Metcalf and then trading up for one of the top 3 TE's is this.... playmakers take time to learn the NFL game and get Chemistry. I think it will be better to use the $80M+ in cap space and draft picks to finish the defence next offseason (make it Elite) and then the young playmakers will be ready to dominate.  It's hard to pass on the Defensive talent like Oliver or Burns But the Bills will be in Position to draft the same kind of talent next year and be productive right away. 

 

 

What team has both an offense and a defense that is "elite"?

 

I want to see the offense become "elite" first and foremost. I've had enough time watching crappy Bills offenses to last a lifetime.

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Best player available on big board at WR, TE, DT, OT, or DE in 1st round..

You got it!  BPA because the Bills need better talent in all of those areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

You spelled offense and defense with a C.. Not a fan

Likely not American..

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Likely not American..

 

And unfamiliar with paragraphs. I got a few words in.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

Seems like the Bill's have a choice with how to attack the draft. Grab a DE and DT or #1 WR and TE.   The more I think about the choice I have settled on Offence and here's why. This team has done a ton of work to shore up The O-line, CB, Special teams, and complimentary WR positions. But the Bill's still arnt ready to compete for A Superbowl. Tom Brady is still great and even though he is getting older and the roster isn't elite, I think they are still going to win the division. My reason for drafting DK Metcalf and then trading up for one of the top 3 TE's is this.... playmakers take time to learn the NFL game and get Chemistry. I think it will be better to use the $80M+ in cap space and draft picks to finish the defence next offseason (make it Elite) and then the young playmakers will be ready to dominate.  It's hard to pass on the Defensive talent like Oliver or Burns But the Bills will be in Position to draft the same kind of talent next year and be productive right away. 

 

 

I feel like there's a bad assumption that is being made here.  I can't help but feel like you're assuming the player that we pick at one of those four positions is rated just as highly as any other we could pick at those positions.  And that's a bad place to start from.  If you're grading players out of a hundred, the DE or DT likely available is probably going to be graded something like 5 to 10 points higher than the WR or TE that is available at the same place.  So it's not a question of drafting a really good WR or TE vs a really good DE or DT.  It's the question of whether you should draft a a top 10 DE or DT vs a top 30 WR or TE.  If grades were equal, than I would absolutely agree with you, we should draft a dominant playmaker for the offense.  But they're not.  We could draft a dominant playmaker for the defense, or a WR or a TE who down the line might have the potential to develop into a playmaker, but is by no means one now, and likely won't ever be a top 5-10 player at the position.  You just don't pass on talent.  Doing that and drafting need is how we got into drought to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DT 1st, add pass catchers, playmakers, rb, and edge later.  We have 10 picks- so both units will be stronger after draft

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I suggest everyone do some mock drafts. The Edge/DL dries up in the first 3 rounds, even though there are quite a few good players at those positions. RB/WR is deep as far as B/B+ category still in rounds 4-6. I'd suggest we go Dline early and then shore up the offense. TEs like Sternberger, Nauta should be around past the 3rd round and offer a lot of value. Obviously mocks are guesses, but they do give a good idea of a general consensus of where players will go.

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly? Let Beane take whoever he wants. It's his draft. The draft never goes according to fan opinion. There are a boat load of positions that would help this team, so I am not married any one position of need. Maybe it's TE, maybe Dline, maybe oline, WR, CB, DT, RB... They can all help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

Seems like the Bill's have a choice with how to attack the draft. Grab a DE and DT or #1 WR and TE.   The more I think about the choice I have settled on Offence and here's why. This team has done a ton of work to shore up The O-line, CB, Special teams, and complimentary WR positions. But the Bill's still arnt ready to compete for A Superbowl. Tom Brady is still great and even though he is getting older and the roster isn't elite, I think they are still going to win the division. My reason for drafting DK Metcalf and then trading up for one of the top 3 TE's is this.... playmakers take time to learn the NFL game and get Chemistry. I think it will be better to use the $80M+ in cap space and draft picks to finish the defence next offseason (make it Elite) and then the young playmakers will be ready to dominate.  It's hard to pass on the Defensive talent like Oliver or Burns But the Bills will be in Position to draft the same kind of talent next year and be productive right away. 

 

I would take Oliver first but Hock will be my 2nd choice.  Other then the obvious guys of course like Bosa, Quinnen & Allen. 

 

I believe in taking BPA @9 with need.  I wouldn't take Sweat or Gary over Oliver and Hock just because we need a edge defender . I believe those 2 players have more upside then Sweat and Gary . 

 

So at the end of the day just take BPA the whole draft that's how we get better doesn't matter what side of the ball there on.  Like u said we are not ready to win the Superbowl yet no matter who we draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Haplo848 said:

 

I feel like there's a bad assumption that is being made here.  I can't help but feel like you're assuming the player that we pick at one of those four positions is rated just as highly as any other we could pick at those positions.  And that's a bad place to start from.  If you're grading players out of a hundred, the DE or DT likely available is probably going to be graded something like 5 to 10 points higher than the WR or TE that is available at the same place.  So it's not a question of drafting a really good WR or TE vs a really good DE or DT.  It's the question of whether you should draft a a top 10 DE or DT vs a top 30 WR or TE.  If grades were equal, than I would absolutely agree with you, we should draft a dominant playmaker for the offense.  But they're not.  We could draft a dominant playmaker for the defense, or a WR or a TE who down the line might have the potential to develop into a playmaker, but is by no means one now, and likely won't ever be a top 5-10 player at the position.  You just don't pass on talent.  Doing that and drafting need is how we got into drought to begin with.

Most if not all these players will not dominate from day 1. The draft especially in the early rds are more about taking players that have elite skills but it's more of a projection then anything else. In the 2nd rd threw the 7th lots of teams start drafting more on a players production and scheme fit because most of the elite athletes are off the board. 

 

Here's the question though would u take a edge defender like Gary or Sweat that u project to be a borderline pro bowl player that can get u 8- 10 sacks a yr or would u rather have a TE like Hock that's projected to be a all pro caliber TE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

I suggest everyone do some mock drafts. The Edge/DL dries up in the first 3 rounds, even though there are quite a few good players at those positions. RB/WR is deep as far as B/B+ category rds still in rounds 4-6. I'd suggest we go Dline early and then shore up the offense. TEs like Sternberger, Nauta should be around past the 3rd round and offer a lot of value. Obviously mocks are guesses, but they do give a good idea of a general consensus of where players will go.

If the Bills are looking for value then taking Dline early is there best bet especially at DE. 

 

 Here's how I see the value board 

 

DE- Top 20 of 1st 

DT- Top 32-40 1st/ Early 2nd

LB- Top 15 1st

CB 20-64 1st/2nd

Saftey- pks 20-50 1st/2nd

Wrs - 2nd - 6th

Rbs- 3rd-6th

TEs- 3rd-5th

Oline 1st-4th

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...