Sign in to follow this  
Franchiseneedsme

Offensive weapons or finish the Defence?

Lets go on what they did last year.  They are after impact players.  They also did not address DT in FA because of the fact that there are 3 high impact BPA DT's who might be a #9 and at least 3 more almost as good just below.  The first pick will be a DT. with very high ceiling and high floor.  The second pick will be in the bottom of the first round and will also be an impact player at DE, LB or TE depending upon who is still there. After that they will go for highest ceiling player regardless of floor and almost regardless of position.   "BPA" comes in two main flavors: [1] a guy who will be at his ceiling in the first quarter of his rookie season and might be starting and [2] a guy who may not even start his first year but could be a standout impact player his second year. At this stage of the Bills rebuild, we want the second type with a goal of a 12-4 type season and not 9-7 seasons forever.

• Like (+1) 1

My dream scenario would be for the Bills to trade w/ Seattle for Clark but keep their #9 pick and draft Oliver.  The defense would (potentially) be an absolute beast.  I'm satisfied (for now) with what they've done for the offensive line in FA, and expect them to draft a TE, WR, and RB as well.

• Like (+1) 3

They can do both with 10 draft picks and some cap left

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Weapons , we need Allen to explode not struggle. Defense will get better over time.

Thats why I think Hock at 9 is a real possibility 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Correct.  BPA.  

You know when McD says he wants to play complementary football, he means that the whole team wins or loses.  It isn't about one unit not being good enough or behind the other.  It's about how good is the whole team.

If the offense gets better, that's good for the team.  If the defense gets better, it's good for the team. So even though you might want to build the offense, if the best player happens to play defense, that means the defense gets better and the team gets better.

Who are the blue chip players on Buffalo?

This team isn't talented enough to get cute here - get the best player there.  If there is top 5 talent that slips because of QBs, get it done.

Finish up the defense. O-ling and WR groups have been addressed in FA. Special teams have been improved already with the canning of Crossman. D-line still needs some fortifying

12 hours ago, BubbaT said:

I personally am not convinced they are "there" on the offensive line either. Will they be better than last year? Absolutely! But will they be a team strength or just "more competitve"? I'd like to see an elite guard or tackle added to go with a top end  D lineman (edge or elsewise) in the first 2 rounds.

I agree with this, unless they believe Hockenson will be special and make both the running and passing game more effective. 

Ultimately, if he's there, I want Oliver at 9 and best OL at 40 (or move up). If he's not, I'd be thrilled with Hock at 9 and someone else able to rush the pass at 40 (or move up). 

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott will never appreciate that he's a HC and not a DC.  His personnel choices these past 2 years have certainly demonstrated a lack of acumen with offensive players.  It's also shown a reliance on spending major resources on defensive players in UFA and the draft.  

This approach requires more on defense than will allow for to build an elite offense.  No one's getting deep into the playoffs with this way.  I fully expect to see a DL at 9 and perhaps another defender in the 2nd round.  He and the GM will point to the offensive spending this past free agency, but in the long run it won't be enough to take one of the league's worst offenses in 2018 and get them into a top 10 unit next season.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Here is my ideal: 

Oliver, DT (these guys are very hard to find.)  

Trade back into first: grab solid OL: Ford, Taylor, or Dillard or Lindstrom, or McCoy (Guard/backup Center) (one should be available).  

In second, grab WR Campbell if available, if not, DE Furgeson.  

Later in the draft: grab one of: TE Sternbrener, WR: Samuel, Harry, or, Harmon; then Edge with Crosby; and/or Collier.   

With all this said, we will be able to add quality Defensive and Offensive talent.  BPA baby.  

38 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

McDermott will never appreciate that he's a HC and not a DC.  His personnel choices these past 2 years have certainly demonstrated a lack of acumen with offensive players.  It's also shown a reliance on spending major resources on defensive players in UFA and the draft.  

This approach requires more on defense than will allow for to build an elite offense.  No one's getting deep into the playoffs with this way.  I fully expect to see a DL at 9 and perhaps another defender in the 2nd round.  He and the GM will point to the offensive spending this past free agency, but in the long run it won't be enough to take one of the league's worst offenses in 2018 and get them into a top 10 unit next season.  

I'm not quite as pessimistic.  I think the trade-up for Allen shows the team knows it needs offense.  I think the OL spending in FA was to surround Allen with Vets.  I see an DL/OL combo in the first, as well as additions at the TE and WR and RB positions in the draft.  

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Here is my ideal: 

Oliver, DT (these guys are very hard to find.)  

Trade back into first: grab solid OL: Ford, Taylor, or Dillard or Lindstrom, or McCoy (Guard/backup Center) (one should be available).  

In second, grab WR Campbell if available, if not, DE Furgeson.  

Later in the draft: grab one of: TE Sternbrener, WR: Samuel, Harry, or, Harmon; then Edge with Crosby; and/or Collier.   

With all this said, we will be able to add quality Defensive and Offensive talent.  BPA baby.  

I'm not quite as pessimistic.  I think the trade-up for Allen shows the team knows it needs offense.  I think the OL spending in FA was to surround Allen with Vets.  I see an DL/OL combo in the first, as well as additions at the TE and WR and RB positions in the draft.  

How do we accomplish all that? I can't see it happening without giving up next years first. 

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I see it completely different.

Yes McDermott was a DC and now as a HC he knows what he wants to do on D.

Ergo, he could make moves to get to that goal quicker than the offensive side.

As a HC (on offense) he needed 2 major things to happen before going all in on specific players.

He needed a QB and an OC.  That (I believe) has been established last season.

Daboll has had an offseason to put together an offense scheme AROUND Josh Allen.

Beane, McDermott and Daboll will now go forward to do that.

For me, it was one thing at a time at the right time.

16 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Have to go Dline, the draft is loaded with DTs and DEs.  Right now, I think it may be the weakest position on our roster.  Notice that the DLine was not addressed in FA thus far; I'm expecting multiple draft picks for DE and DT.

You said it Gilmore, the draft is LOADED with DTs and DEs. There are 2 game changing players, offensively, in this draft Metcalf and Hollywood Brown. Because of his physical stature, I'd prefer Metcalf over Brown.

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Weapons , we need Allen to explode not struggle. Defense will get better over time.

Thank you Barbarian!! You can add pieces later in the draft to improve the top 10 ranked defense in the NFL last year. You need a dynamic playmaker to improve the offense, which was ranked near the bottom. IMO, there are 2 players that are explosive enough that can help our offense and they are DK Metcalf and "Hollywood" Brown. I'd prefer Metcalf because of his physical stature and his catch radius. Metcalf could be very beneficial to a QB with Allen's arm strength and ability to keep plays alive with his mobility. If Metcalf  is there at 9 the Bills simply can't pass on him

• Thanks! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

I once heard an old GM (Ron Wolf, I think) say that it doesn't matter if your first round pick is a bust.  If you get two Pro Bowlers out of the draft, it's a very good draft.  If you get three, it's  a great draft.   You've got to get at least one but the goal is to land two.

If we got 2 or 3 Pro Bowlers in this draft, I wouldn't care what positions they played.   2 or 3 impact players would vastly upgrade this roster.  

Having said that, my hope is that at least one of those future Pro Bowlers is an offensive linemen.  I'm tired of seeing our RBs futilely running into an uninterrupted mass of gargantuan men and our QBs looking like frightened gazelles running from a pack of hungry lions.    

Edited by hondo in seattle

Many throw around the “ BPA” term as gospel, but BPA on its own is pretty much a myth. Many of these prospects are graded very closely, as well as differently by various teams. The Bills selection will be dictated by a combination of factors. Their vision of how the team should be built , coupled with the cost of obtaining the specific players they covet to fit that vision. They certainly have different potential scenarios worked out, but their history shows they prefer specific players. Not some hypothetical BPA cliche. Look at their past drafting and expect more of the same. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

They can do both with 10 draft picks and some cap left

Thats why I think Hock at 9 is a real possibility 

Man i hope so, sick of having third string TEs on this team.

I dont want to overdraft offensive talent just because they are needed.....I want talented players.....

I like guys like Hockinson.....Dillard......etc

but

The strength of this draft appears to be on the defensive line

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Man i hope so, sick of having third string TEs on this team.

Agreed- JA could use a top, number 1 TE

• Thanks! (+1) 1

Definately defensive line, edge and another lb. Then again, Beane may have trades on his mind.

I'm beginning to see LB Dewon White as the first pick for the Bills.  We would have a killer defence- they guy is Ray Lewis reborn better.  We can add a good DT later in the draft or work out a trade for a 1-3 year rental.  BUT we would have a sick linebacker corp for the next decade.  He is the biggest upside and biggest high ceiling immediate starter we could get with our #9 pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Definately defensive line, edge and another lb. Then again, Beane may have trades on his mind. I also agree on Devin White. This guy can be plugged right in like Patrick Willis.