Carolina WR Devin Funchess unlikely to be extended

2 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Funchess is not the answer to any of the Bill's needs.  We should not be wasting any of the 90 camp roster spots on him.  There is enough tape on Funchess to know what he is.  I'd rather see an UFA WR in camp to see if we can hit on another guy like Foster.  I agree that the money would be better spent on Morse or T. Williams.  I really think that Williams is the kind of receiver that the Bills should be looking for.  He has length and speed to stretch the field.

Moncreif would be my choice of free agent Wrs he's not gonna cost a ton maybe 3 yrs 20 to 21 mil gets him. Plus he's entering his prime at 25yrs old was actually pretty good considering he had a bunch of scrubs throwing him the ball last yr. Nearly 700 yds on 60 catches. He got a nice gm Foster is alot like Moncreif why not have 2 guys like that.  

In the draft i really want Isabella in the 3rd rd if we can get him there.  I might sound crazy but he reminds me of Antionio Brown kid is a jitterbug on the field knows how to get open . 

Bills fans are understandably sick of big, slow WR's after Kelvin Benjamin. But how is Funchess at making contested catches? We need to bring in guys that can make contested catches, whatever their size or speed. If he isn't stupendous at that, I wouldn't want him.

5 minutes ago, White Linen said:

He's the exact opposite type of receiver we need.  I think at least Daboll knows this and it should never happen.  

You have that old Houston "run and shoot" in your blood..West Virginia /Baylor offense .I like that...you have the kid with a cannon arm to get it done.

Allen smiles at those 30 plus mph winds that hit Orchard Park in November/December...

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article226978429.html

Have to wonder what Beane thinks of him and what his market value will be. He was really good in college but played TE. Since the Bills could really use TEs and WRs in quantity as well as quality, and Daboll liked to use hybrid TE types in NE,  I wonder if the Bills make an offer.

No more red headed step children.

I was talking to Vic last week on Press Pass, and asked him what he thought of Funchess, J Brown, and Montcreif.  He was positive and all three would be possibles, but thought Tate would be too expensive and is 31.

He expect as much as I want Paradis and Saffold, he thought they would be too rich for Beane’s taste.  I disagree, as we would have a stud interior and take the best OT at 9.  I also think we could take one of the two IOWA TE’s with the 2nd or use one of the 3rd’s and move up with the2nd to get the best in the draft.

We’ll see, but to me it’s worth spending money on interior lineman and Tacklesin the draft are cheaper for the next four to five years.

14 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Not impressed with him as a WR and I believe we need to think Blocking 1st for any new TEs, too help protect while a new OL learns to play together.

But..

hes a Panther, so I’m sure he’ll be a Bill..

I think he is a pretty solid WR and could help get some focus off Foster early in the season, I agree about the blocking and TE, but if they land Funchess I'd be pretty happy with it. And yeah seems like they tend to get or try to get a lot of former Panthers, but wouldn't mind this one myself.

Rex did that ***** a lot too, former Jets everytime you turned around.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Boggles my mind when the Panthers saw how successful Cam was with Steve Smith Sr and Ted Ginn Jr. If Ted Ginn Jr has a career year with Cam and is Cam's 3rd most productive single season receiving target.. should send shockwaves to Panthers brass to stop drafting big lugs and get a burner that's Ted Ginn speed but with WR hands.

Ted Ginn must have dropped like 8 TD bombs from Cam that MVP year lol. But he got open consistently to catch enough as well.

Allen, Cam, Favre, those of the gunslinger ilk do best with burners. Tossup contested catch guys do better with Quarterbacks without the arm talent, like Foles or Fitzpatrick. Of course it helps to have all sides of the coin. But the primary WR better fit the Quarterback's preferred mold best.

It is logical that if your QB has a big arm you have speed a WR to stretch the defenses vertically, but strangely not always practiced.

I’m really for signing or trading for any number of younger WRs and that includes Funchess. As long as we don’t overpay he could be a nice addition and presence in the red zone. There are enough lower cost options out there for the Bills to upgrade the wr corps where it is at least average. But it would allow us to spend more assets on the line, tight end and rb positions. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, MJS said:

Bills fans are understandably sick of big, slow WR's after Kelvin Benjamin. But how is Funchess at making contested catches? We need to bring in guys that can make contested catches, whatever their size or speed. If he isn't stupendous at that, I wouldn't want him.

I agree. At least half of Josh Allen’s lightning quick throws were into tight coverage where what passed as NFL receivers were either abused by the defender or simply couldn’t catch a well thrown pass. Funchess has clearly demonstrated to this point he’s a Benjamin redoux. Absolutely no reason to consider him here, imo.

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

No thanks. Somebody needs to hack Beane’s phone and remove Funchess’s number.

If he took a modest deal I'd be okay, because in addition to a WR1, this team needs warm bodies at the position...but when I say modest deal, I'm talking an incentive-laden, one-year deal that tops out at $5M.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

If he took a modest deal I'd be okay, because in addition to a WR1, this team needs warm bodies at the position...but when I say modest deal, I'm talking an incentive-laden, one-year deal that tops out at $5M.

$80 million of cap space and you are advocating we be judicious with it on a contract for Funchess for...the sake of principal? 

9 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

$80 million of cap space and you are advocating we be judicious with it on a contract for Funchess for...the sake of principal? 

I'm actually not advocating for Funchess at all.  I don't think he's the kind of guy that will particularly help this team.

But, if he's coming here at all, the only way I'm okay with it is if he's competing for a WR3-WR4 job, and I'm not paying that guy $10M per year.

Being smart with FA money doesn't mean not paying big contracts, but it does mean spending the money on guys that will be worth it in the long run.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm actually not advocating for Funchess at all.  I don't think he's the kind of guy that will particularly help this team.

But, if he's coming here at all, the only way I'm okay with it is if he's competing for a WR3-WR4 job, and I'm not paying that guy $10M per year.

Being smart with FA money doesn't mean not paying big contracts, but it does mean spending the money on guys that will be worth it in the long run.

if its a one year prove it deal and they are most likely not gonna spend all the cap then does it really matter?

I could take him or leave him. but if its only one year toss him a bone and see if he can go up and make some plays.

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

if its a one year prove it deal and they are most likely not gonna spend all the cap then does it really matter?

I could take him or leave him. but if its only one year toss him a bone and see if he can go up and make some plays.

If you're only signing him to be a warm-body, then what's the point of paying him $10M?

Spend $10M on a free agent if you're so inclined, but spend it on someone that's going to help you win football games.  Remember, you can roll over unused cap space, so it's not going to burn a hole in your pocket.

20 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Being smart with FA money means being smart about the position you are in.  We are in a position of having a ton of money and needing, frankly, warm bodies.  When it comes to bringing in FA WRs we need to pay big.  Luckily, we can pay big, so we can also afford to over pay.  

Count me in with the camp that says "for a modest deal, as a PIECE of the offense and not THE answer, sure, sign him". 

As long as he's only counted on as a complimentary piece and not signed to be the #1 receiver, and as long as the deal isn't for a ton of money, then great, bring him in.

Though I'm sure there will be a long line of "ANOTHER CAROLINA GUY?!?!" whiners and criers, I can at least see the logic in signing Funchess (under the conditions listed above).

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Being smart with FA money means being smart about the position you are in.  We are in a position of having a ton of money and needing, frankly, warm bodies.  When it comes to bringing in FA WRs we need to pay big.  Luckily, we can pay big, so we can also afford to over pay.  

Yes, we can...but why overpay for a guy that frankly doesn't offer much upside?

That's the point.

If you're going to overpay significantly, do it for a guy that offers more than Funchess. Pay $15M for Golden Tate, or $12M for Adam Humphries, or $12M for Tyrell Williams.  Any of those guys has more to offer in the upside department than Funchess IMO.

• Like (+1) 4

Don’t want this guy unless he decided to get all jacked up and become the best run blocking tight end in the league. At that point, he might be able to beat out croom for 3rd TE

hes so bleh

Edited by NewEra

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yes, we can...but why overpay for a guy that frankly doesn't offer much upside?

That's the point.

If you're going to overpay significantly, do it for a guy that offers more than Funchess. Pay $15M for Golden Tate, or $12M for Adam Humphries, or $12M for Tyrell Williams.  Any of those guys has more to offer in the upside department than Funchess IMO.

Yeah, that's fair.  The only caveat I would make is that Funchess is the only guy you can get on a 1 year prove it deal.  I think the others will require multi year deals. Looking forward, we do not have as much free cap space as it looks now.   

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t see much of a chance that Buffalo doesn’t at least make an offer for Funchess. Is a free agent at a position of need and has the Carolina connection. Also seems like a team first guy based on the interviews I’ve listened to. Looks like he would check enough boxes for Beane to put an offer in. 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s not good.  This would be Kelvin Benjamin 2.0 but he’s less talented.  Honestly, he should bulk up and be a TE.  He’s too slow to make it as a receiver.  Heard he’s a great guy though.

I admittingly haven’t watched much of his tape. Does he really play that slow? He ran a 4.47 40 at the combine just 4 years ago.