Carolina WR Devin Funchess unlikely to be extended

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article226978429.html

INDIANAPOLIS 

Carolina Panthers receiver Devin Funchess will become a free agent this spring, when the new league year begins on March 13. 

Funchess’ camp and the Panthers have not even begun talks to extend his four-year rookie deal, a league source told the Observer on Friday. 

Funchess also announced in a video posted to Twitter on Friday morning that he is a free agent looking for a new team.

Have to wonder what Beane thinks of him and what his market value will be. He was really good in college but played TE. Since the Bills could really use TEs and WRs in quantity as well as quality, and Daboll liked to use hybrid TE types in NE,  I wonder if the Bills make an offer.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think it all boils down to cost. If the market for Funchess is relatively bearish, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Buffalo makes an offer to take a chance on him and see if things click.

It's possible that we're transitioning towards more of a preference for speed, but we'll see. It's just as likely IMO that they simply recognized Benjamin sucks and that Foster and McKenzie were worth giving a chance to.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I think it all boils down to cost. If the market for Funchess is relatively bearish, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Buffalo makes an offer to take a chance on him and see if things click.

It's possible that we're transitioning towards more of a preference for speed, but we'll see. It's just as likely IMO that they simply recognized Benjamin sucks and that Foster and McKenzie were worth giving a chance to.

You have a good point, but the signing of that tall Canadian Football player makes me wonder if they maybe still want one tall jumpball target.... But personally I feel like Allen needs speedsters who can get behind DBs and kick into top gear to catch up to Allens throws when they are a little overthrown.

9 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

we are the ellis island of washed up Carolina Panthers personnel. 

It took some time but it looks like the Panthers have realized Cam needs separators not big slow high Pointing trees.

I hope McBeane doesn't fall for the trap and gets on the new wave of thinking.  Unless Beane was the guy wanting all those field cloggers.

15 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

It took some time but it looks like the Panthers have realized Cam needs separators not big slow high Pointing trees.

I hope McBeane doesn't fall for the trap and gets on the new wave of thinking.  Unless Beane was the guy wanting all those field cloggers.

Boggles my mind when the Panthers saw how successful Cam was with Steve Smith Sr and Ted Ginn Jr. If Ted Ginn Jr has a career year with Cam and is Cam's 3rd most productive single season receiving target.. should send shockwaves to Panthers brass to stop drafting big lugs and get a burner that's Ted Ginn speed but with WR hands.

Ted Ginn must have dropped like 8 TD bombs from Cam that MVP year lol. But he got open consistently to catch enough as well.

Allen, Cam, Favre, those of the gunslinger ilk do best with burners. Tossup contested catch guys do better with Quarterbacks without the arm talent, like Foles or Fitzpatrick. Of course it helps to have all sides of the coin. But the primary WR better fit the Quarterback's preferred mold best.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Never been impressed with the guy honesty. Definitely not a #1 and we already have plenty of 3 and 4s. Pass, spend the money on Morse or Williams.

Funchess is not the answer to any of the Bill's needs.  We should not be wasting any of the 90 camp roster spots on him.  There is enough tape on Funchess to know what he is.  I'd rather see an UFA WR in camp to see if we can hit on another guy like Foster.  I agree that the money would be better spent on Morse or T. Williams.  I really think that Williams is the kind of receiver that the Bills should be looking for.  He has length and speed to stretch the field.