Carolina WR Devin Funchess unlikely to be extended

I'm fine with signing him AS LONG AS he's not counted on as anything more than a WR3 or WR4. As long as the Bills don't view him as "the answer" at the WR position or a #1 guy, I do feel he could be useful to the offense, as it currently features no one else with good size.

1 hour ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Me too John. Williams is probably my #1 free agent target to be honest. 

Just be aware that Daryl Williams has only had one good season for the Panthers-2 years ago prior to his injury. Prior to that he was very average. Furthermore during that year, 2017 as an RT DW received a ton of help from tE’s and RB’s. Mike Shula’s Offense ran 12-21 personnel a combined 42% compared to Norb turner’s 28% the subsequent year.

in 2017 only Taylor Lewan 45.3% of plays, Jack Conklin 42.1%, RonnieStanley 42.0% received more help than DW 38.8%.

coming off an injury too, I’m just saying there’s risk there. 

Edited by Seoul_panther
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

This is a guy I really liked coming out of college, but has unperformed.  I guess it would depend on what Funches wants.  Would be a good 3-4 WR.  I still really want Tate or Williams in FA.  

I too would prefer we talk to Tyrell Williams first. After that I guess I would consider Funchess over Tate based on age, projection and a reasonable contract.

Funchess was a beast as a TE his sophomore year at Michigan and looked like he was destined for greatness.  He switched to WR his junior year and his production dropped a bit, but was still drafted in the 2nd round by Carolina.  He then had a couple of middling years as a WR in Carolina, followed by one great year, followed by another middling year.  He has a lot of talent, but I get the impression that he's not the most driven player.  He also could be a bit of a 'tweener - a little too slow to be a great WR, and a little too small to be a great TE (at least the blocking part of the job).  If the Bills can sign him to a reasonable contract to be a complementary player, I am fine with it.  If they need to pay him big money and make him a feature player, I would take a pass.  I don't think he's a bust, as he has been productive every year, but he's also not a star.  He's worthy of a spot on an NFL roster.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

Funchess is "just a guy", he doesn't have the ability to separate, and is not particularly good at catching contested balls. I wouldn't be suprised if Duke Williams has a better NFL career than him.

That said, I'd rather we spend 1.9M/year on a JAG like Funchess than 10M+/year for another JAG in Tyrell Williams.

• Like (+1) 1

He's a younger KB with maybe a better attitude.  Plus he's from Carolina, so he'll probably be a Bill this season.  I'd pass on him.  If we want a vet TE, just get Jesse James rather than convert a lumbering WR.

2 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

It took some time but it looks like the Panthers have realized Cam needs separators not big slow high Pointing trees.

I hope McBeane doesn't fall for the trap and gets on the new wave of thinking.  Unless Beane was the guy wanting all those field cloggers.

Seems like the NFL is coming back to good defense, pounding the rock, and receivers who can take the top off. Foster can get after it but we need another speedster. We also need a true, bomified number 1 WR which Funchess is not. IMO we have and have had plenty of “Funchess’s”. It is time to play in the sand box with the big boys. 

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

Funchess was a beast as a TE his sophomore year at Michigan and looked like he was destined for greatness.  He switched to WR his junior year and his production dropped a bit, but was still drafted in the 2nd round by Carolina.  He then had a couple of middling years as a WR in Carolina, followed by one great year, followed by another middling year.  He has a lot of talent, but I get the impression that he's not the most driven player.  He also could be a bit of a 'tweener - a little too slow to be a great WR, and a little too small to be a great TE (at least the blocking part of the job).  If the Bills can sign him to a reasonable contract to be a complementary player, I am fine with it.  If they need to pay him big money and make him a feature player, I would take a pass.  I don't think he's a bust, as he has been productive every year, but he's also not a star.  He's worthy of a spot on an NFL roster.

I remember him being a really difficult matchup for college defenses. He’s not fast enough to be as effective vs nfl defenders. I think he is worthy of a roster spot as well but 2nd rd was probably too high in terms of nfl potential.