Bills fire ST Coach Danny Crossman

Rubes

13 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Duke was such a ST terror that he's currently out of Football.    At least Felton had a noteworthy career, although that was long before he became a Bill...

Get back to packing your office, Danny.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, boater said:

Having said that One: I take no joy in the thought of three families being uprooted and/or faced with uncertainty

How are they uprooted?  The coaches are getting paid the same as if they were employed and probably have fewer expenses.  They can stay in same place they are living with same schools, etc.  It just gives the coaches more time to look for the next job.

11 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Steve has said multiple times he does not want to coach for it takes too many hours.  Some coaches actually sleep in offices (I have done that for work) and they should create bedrooms staff can borrow.

I honestly doubt they don't have some sort of sleeping facility for coaches.  It really does seem like a no brainer concept for guys that put in 16 hour days. 

4 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Intersting.

Beane puts 6-10 on him and part of the plan.  Then three coaches get fired.

Guess Terry isn’t as patient.

I can’t imagine how Crossman could even Begin to explain why he earned the right to be retained.

onward ....  upward 

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Real bold move there..

Crossman could have saved his job if he simply hid McKenzies helmet before every kick 

Yes, that's it. Definitely nothing to do with the abysmal coverage teams. 

5 hours ago, CommonCents said:

So far every move that has been made appeals to the majority of TBD. OBD has finally accepted that TBD is superior. 

Now cut Murphy, Shady, and Clay. 

about time lol.

although we would have to fire the whole organization after every loss :D

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

They gave Crossman multiple STs guys at the bottom of the roster to begin the season. Andre Holmes was kept solely for his STs ability. They signed Julian Stanford for the same reason, Deon Lacey was supposed to be a ST stud. Ray Ray was drafted for his return ability. Taiwan Jones. They only got rid of them when they realized the offense needed a jolt or STs was terrible anyways 

All those guys were awful. Did Crossman muff the punts? Again I don't really care if they fired Crossman. Just get better players.

4 hours ago, FLFan said:

ST coaches also get input on what players to keep on the roster based on special teams needs.  He is responsible for coaching the players he has.  ST was a debacle this year in terms of coverage and return.  I do not put the punting issues or late season kicker issue on him, but damn, their coverage and return teams were an adventure all year.  Time to go in a new direction.

New kickoff rules certainly played into that. Crossman didn't adjust well enough and come up with new schemes to deal with the changes, at least apparently.

37 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

All those guys were awful. Did Crossman muff the punts? Again I don't really care if they fired Crossman. Just get better players.

He was the reason a lot of those guys made the roster. With the amount of players we kept because of their ST ability the unit should have been great. He was a poor teacher and a bad evaluator of talent.

27 minutes ago, MJS said:

New kickoff rules certainly played into that. Crossman didn't adjust well enough and come up with new schemes to deal with the changes, at least apparently.

Crossman was bottom third of the league on STs for 3 different HCs with the Bills.  That is amazing he lasted this long.  He was also in the bottom third more often than not with I believe two other NFL teams prior to the Bills.  He also had more players on STs consistently every year for just STs.

It is amazing he had jobs and retained them.  Absolutely amazing.  He has been nothing but terrible.  

It had nothing to do the new kick off rules.

I think I have been waiting 8 years for this firing?!

Another Festivus Miracle!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

All I was saying is these guys all had reputations as being good STs players that were kept on the roster for the ST abilities not their offensive or defensive abilities. I actually think keeping players for STs only are asanine in this day and age simply because Kickoffs very rarely get returned rendering 33% of STs play null and void when you think there is Punt, Punt Return, Kickoff, Kickoff Return, FG, and FG Block team. 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

He had faaaar more bad seasons than good before the rule changes too.