Cards Reporter hearing Mike McCarthy to Browns

Reed83HOF

If true this is a MEH hire to me.  If they get a young innovative OC and McCarthy leaves him alone then great, but McCarthy as HC and OC for the last several years in GB has not been good and his relationship with the QB has been bad.

The biggest difference is Aaron is more quiet and laid back - I can see Mayfield going off on him if things don’t go well.

So much will depend upon the what the rest of the make-up of the staff becomes, but I think with that division and McCarthy’s game management skills they are looking at some middling years when they have elite talent. 

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Wow that's a really uninspiring hire IMO. Aaron Rodgers would have more than one Super Bowl ring if McCarthy was worth anything. I'm sure a ton of young innovative coaches would love to coach up Baker Mayfield.

Say what?

5 hours ago, prissythecat said:

What wonders did McCarthy work with Rodgers?  The myth that he magically developed while sitting on the bench behind a HOF QB?

Coaching definitely can make or break a QB imo, since it's been public that Brett Favre never wanted to help Rodgers throughout his years together there, I'd say McCarthy did a real good job putting Rodgers in a position to be successful again in my opinion. Some may not like McCarthy but he did great things in New Orleans and with the Packers, I'll bet at least beers that Baker Mayfield will be even better under his tenure. 

11 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

I think McCarthy's teams seriously underachieved considering the amount of talent they had over the years (maybe not so much this year, but still).  IMO, the Browns would be better off sticking with what they have.

You mean other than the SB win with Brandon Jackson as RB and Greg Jennings as their #1 WR?  All that "talent" amounted to Eddie LAcy, Jordie Nelson and Davante Adams.

Maybe you are confusing him with Tony Dungy?

13 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Wow that's a really uninspiring hire IMO. Aaron Rodgers would have more than one Super Bowl ring if McCarthy was worth anything. I'm sure a ton of young innovative coaches would love to coach up Baker Mayfield.

Im sure those young innovative coaches are going to enjoy watch BB and Andy Reid in the playoffs as well as John Harbough and Old school A. Lynn.  It has nothing to do with young and inovative.  McCarthy has an impressive resume.  Im very disappointed in Rodgers.  I really believed he was the best QB in the NFL but as much as it pains me to say this, he is no Tom Brady.

This would be such a terrible hire.

They have a budding super star in Baker Mayfield and you're going to give him a retread coach whose teams consistently under performed for the past 5 seasons?

They need to hire a college coach or an innovative coordinator. Keeping Greg Williams and letting him go get a coordinator would also be a better option. 

10 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This would be such a terrible hire.

They have a budding super star in Baker Mayfield and you're going to give him a retread coach whose teams consistently under performed for the past 5 seasons?

They need to hire a college coach or an innovative coordinator. Keeping Greg Williams and letting him go get a coordinator would also be a better option. 

I dont know if they need to do that, I think keeping the staff they got can be really beneficial as well. But I do agree overall that hiring MM would be terrible

If the rumors about Arians only being willing to return to coach Cleveland are true, this is a ridiculously dumb hire. If you're going for a re-tread, go for the one who is a winner and is actually liked and respected by players and coaches league-wide, not the guy with massive personnel influence who couldn't take the QB with verifiable GOAT qualities to more than 1 Super Bowl.

13 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I honestly don't get this. I thought that Gregg and Kitchens had earned a chance and that short of a fresh face or shiny young guy that they should have kept the spot. A retread that was "Meh" with Aaron Rodgers doesn't make a ton of sense. 

Any chance that Greggy stays on as coordinator? 

A bigger jerk than Gregg Williams would be hard to find. His stint in Buffalo as HC and in New Orleans as "Bounty Hunter" Greggo are all the evidence anyone should need.

13 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

That would be quite a step up from the coaches they've previously had. Mccarthy worked wonders with a young Aaron Rodgers so Mayfield will be in very good hands I just hope they don't turn that defense into a 3-4 like McCarthy did in GB, that would be a waste of Myles garrets talent imo.

Or Aaron Rodgers was just good and made McCarthy look good.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Or Aaron Rodgers was just good and made McCarthy look good.

He was most likely going to be a top flight QB in the league regardless you may be correct but there is no way to tell that. I look at Alex Smith and he was a bust early on in his career until Jim Harbaugh took over and then Andy Reid. I think both coaching and QB go hand in hand imo.

14 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I honestly don't get this. I thought that Gregg and Kitchens had earned a chance and that short of a fresh face or shiny young guy that they should have kept the spot. A retread that was "Meh" with Aaron Rodgers doesn't make a ton of sense. 

Any chance that Greggy stays on as coordinator? 

Per Fox yesterday, Gregg is going to be out.  But today Dorsey announced both he and Freddie Kitchens will be interviewed for HC

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Coaching definitely can make or break a QB imo, since it's been public that Brett Favre never wanted to help Rodgers throughout his years together there, I'd say McCarthy did a real good job putting Rodgers in a position to be successful again in my opinion. Some may not like McCarthy but he did great things in New Orleans and with the Packers, I'll bet at least beers that Baker Mayfield will be even better under his tenure. 

Fair enough .  Brett Favre certainly didn’t play a mentor role.