All the Carolina signings, why did they not sign C.J.?

zow2

C.J. Anderson had a helluva day filling in for Gurley yesterday.  

Seems like the Carolina connection, McBeane, could’ve snagged him between Nov. 12 -Dec. 4.  Then again in mid December when he was on the streets.   The guy is a bull and would’ve helped the sorry running game here.

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Seems like the Carolina connection, McBeane, could’ve snagged him between Nov. 12 -Dec. 4.  Then again in mid December when he was on the streets.   The guy is a bull and would’ve helped the sorry running game here.

They have no previous connection to Anderson who never played for Carolina prior to this season. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They have no previous connection to Anderson who never played for Carolina prior to this season. 

True. But they are close with that organization and know some front office personnel. I suspect they have a very close eye on what the Panthers are doing and who they release.  With each passing year of course their interest w that organization will diminish.  

10 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Lol. FIRE BEANE!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

True. But they are close with that organization and know some front office personnel. I suspect they have a very close eye on what the Panthers are doing and who they release.  With each passing year of course their interest w that organization will diminish.  

Anderson would be running behind the same lousy OL as the other RBs.  At any rate, the run game problems will not be remedied until the offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Anderson would be running behind the same lousy OL as the other RBs.  At any rate, the run game problems will not be remedied until the offseason.

Well, correct, but ...

... with Ivory, Murphy, and now Ford being the only guys other than McCoy who've run the football this year, aren't you a little bit curious about what a proven/not old ordinary NFL starting RB would have been able to do?  I mean, the problem with evaluating whether McCoy has anything left is that we really don't have any benchmark this year. CJ is a career 4.5 y/c guy who gained 1,000 yards last year (4.1 avg) behind a poor Broncos O line.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Well, correct, but ...

... with Ivory, Murphy, and now Ford being the only guys other than McCoy who've run the football this year, aren't you a little bit curious about what a proven/not old ordinary NFL starting RB would have been able to do?  I mean, the problem with evaluating whether McCoy has anything left is that we really don't have any benchmark this year. CJ is a career 4.5 y/c guy who gained 1,000 yards last year (4.1 avg) behind a poor Broncos O line.

I'm not.  The OL is sometimes okay in pass pro, but I think they are absolutely horrid in the run game.  Anderson, IMO, makes no difference. 

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm not.  The OL is sometimes okay in pass pro, but I think they are absolutely horrid in the run game.  Anderson, IMO, makes no difference. 

Well ... do you KNOW that? Again, adding a proven producer who is not on the wrong side of 30 would give any coaching staff another data point for talent evaluation/needs assessment going forward. Maybe our line is no good, AND our RBs are all trash. Look, it's not a huge deal. But since we have absolutely no keepers at RB (and I include McCoy in that), what harm would there have been in adding a CJ Anderson?

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Well ... do you KNOW that? Again, adding a proven producer who is not on the wrong side of 30 would give any coaching staff another data point for talent evaluation/needs assessment going forward. Maybe our line is no good, AND our RBs are all trash. Look, it's not a huge deal. But since we have absolutely no keepers at RB (and I include McCoy in that), what harm would there have been in adding a CJ Anderson?

Repeated:  Anderson, IMO, makes no difference. 

29 minutes ago, zow2 said:

As of this moment - please tell me exactly how many former Panthers are on the roster and active on Sunday?

Star is your answer and that is it.  You also have Anderson on the roster until the end of the year.  

It is not like we are some hotbed of Carolina Players.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Repeated:  Anderson, IMO, makes no difference. 

Well, where do I go now? You've pulled out the boldface! That's an argument winner right there, particularly combined with the "IMO."

Look ... Chris Ivory: 3.4 avg this year. 3.4 last year with Jax, where Fournette averaged 3.9. Crude seat of the pants inferences: (1) 3.9 ain't great. Maybe Fournette's not that good, maybe JAX's offense (including QB) is just bad and he isn't reaching his potential. (2) even so, he's clearly better than Ivory. So dig a little deeper and look at how they were used - was Ivory more often used in short yardage situations? Did the bulk of his playing time come against better defenses (when subbing for Fournette?)  (3) Ivory this year = Ivory last year = McCoy this year.  Hmm. I don't know what to say yet. McCoy is finished? He's now no better than Ivory? (4) add a CJ Anderson. He runs for 3.4 y/c. My best guess? I would agree with you! That's what our offense can sustain. But then ... why keep McCoy? Or ... he runs for 4.5 y/c. Maybe the problem was the RBs after all! (Or at least a part of the problem)

But nevermind. I've been told that in one random fan's opinion it makes no difference ....

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Well, where do I go now? You've pulled out the boldface! That's an argument winner right there, particularly combined with the "IMO."

Look ... Chris Ivory: 3.4 avg this year. 3.4 last year with Jax, where Fournette averaged 3.9. Crude seat of the pants inferences: (1) 3.9 ain't great. Maybe Fournette's not that good, maybe JAX's offense (including QB) is just bad and he isn't reaching his potential. (2) even so, he's clearly better than Ivory. So dig a little deeper and look at how they were used - was Ivory more often used in short yardage situations? Did the bulk of his playing time come against better defenses (when subbing for Fournette?)  (3) Ivory this year = Ivory last year = McCoy this year.  Hmm. I don't know what to say yet. McCoy is finished? He's now no better than Ivory? (4) add a CJ Anderson. He runs for 3.4 y/c. My best guess? I would agree with you! That's what our offense can sustain. But then ... why keep McCoy? Or ... he runs for 4.5 y/c. Maybe the problem was the RBs after all! (Or at least a part of the problem)

But nevermind. I've been told that in one random fan's opinion it makes no difference ....

Express your opinion all you'd like and it's interesting. I just have nothing further to add to what I already expressed. 

For the record, I wasn’t suggesting in any way that C.J. would’ve averaged 4.5 ypc and/or made this rushing attack suddenly dangerous.  I’m just saying the RB position has been in flux, suffered some injuries during the period C.J. was available. And this GM and coach have had no problem bringing in guys like Kaelin Clay, Kelvin, DA, Star, etc. ex-Panthers.  They will jettison a punter after one shank. 

The dude yesterday was running North/South and bowling people over. Would’ve been worth a look when he was on the streets, That’s all. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Carolina connection was always overblown anyways.. mostly cause we held onto guys like Webb and Tolbert even though we knew we could have better talent. 

Mcdermott wanted guys he was familiar with to run the locker room, hold guys accountable etc etc that’s why we originally had so many Carolina guys while mcd familiarized himself with other locker room leaders who were here. 

10 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Its crazy the way RB's running behind good offensive lines always seem to have good games despite their history or pedigree. Its almost as if there was a connection, as if these things are somehow related. Weird.

Well there's also quarterbacks and WRs. Corners and safeties, corners and pass rush, quarterbacks and OLine. linebackers and DL, running game with a passing threat, passing game with a running threat. Team sport. The guys that can make any RB good or the RBs that look good behind any OL are the better players in this league..

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

USATODAY.com

“Yep, totally ready to play,” Anderson said Friday.

The former Bronco and Panther rushed for 1,007 yards in Denver last season and has postseason experience, winning a Super Bowl with Wade Phillips and the Broncos a few years ago. The spotlight won’t be too big for him, having been in the NFL for six years.

“Just been a cerebral guy my whole career,” Anderson said. “My competitive advantage is my football I.Q. and plenty of coaches and players around the league compliment me on that and I think that’s something that you take – you don’t get too many pluses in this league – so when you got one, you take it. I’m happy that that’s one of mine and if I’ve gotta go Sunday, I’m ready to go.”

It’s easy to see why the Rams brought in a player of his caliber and experience, knowing Gurley might be a scratch on Sunday.

38 minutes ago, zow2 said:

For the record, I wasn’t suggesting in any way that C.J. would’ve averaged 4.5 ypc and/or made this rushing attack suddenly dangerous.  I’m just saying the RB position has been in flux, suffered some injuries during the period C.J. was available. And this GM and coach have had no problem bringing in guys like Kaelin Clay, Kelvin, DA, Star, etc. ex-Panthers.  They will jettison a punter after one shank. 

The dude yesterday was running North/South and bowling people over. Would’ve been worth a look when he was on the streets, That’s all. 

I agree. Ford seems to have been able to produce ok for such a lowly touted player, maybe it's not ALL of the OLs fault. Anderson would have definitely been an upgrade. They should have just cut Ivory and Shady and rolled with Anderson, Ford and Murphy. We may be minorities buddy but I'm with you.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Keith Ford practices hard 

3 hours ago, Mickey said:

Its crazy the way RB's running behind good offensive lines always seem to have good games despite their history or pedigree. Its almost as if there was a connection, as if these things are somehow related. Weird.

I agree, it is weird.  It makes you wonder if maybe there's some kind of cause-and-effect thing going on.  

I once watched Willie Ellison of the L.A. Rams rush for an amazing 247 yards (on just 26 carries) - the NFL record at the time.  Most folks on this site probably don't remember Willie and I don't blame them.  He spent most of his NFL career as a backup because he wasn't very good.    

I'm not really sure because football is a complicated sport and I'm not a smart man.  But the Mack truck sized holes opened up by the Rams OL that record-setting day may have helped Willie in some strange way. 

Then again, maybe it was something else.  Who knows?  Maybe there's no connection at all between OL play and RB production, and RB stats are determined solely by the RB.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

How do you know they didnt talk to him? But,if YOU were CJ,would you come to a Buffalo team that had several RBs already and a horrible OLine?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pablocruise said:

How do you know they didnt talk to him? But,if YOU were CJ,would you come to a Buffalo team that had several RBs already and a horrible OLine?

I have no clue? But he was out of work for two different periods of time and during that he signed with the crappy Raiders for 5 minutes. 

14 hours ago, zow2 said:

He's not a bandcamp gold card toting member thats why.

On 12/24/2018 at 2:17 PM, zow2 said:

Does he get us to the playoffs? No? Then why spend the money, and why not evaluate a young player?

There are others that i didn't understand why they didn't go after even before him , Lagerrette Blount 2 time SB champion RB was out there & there was no attempt at all to get him bus probably a couple others that could have helped a bit .

Apparently they thought they had it figured out in house !! 

Edited by T master