Cut McCoy, Sign Bell (edited from McCoy out 6.4M cap)

RPbillsfan

OL is priority 1 , it's not sexy but it's necessary for success. I'd actually love to bring him in for 3 years but I doubt McBeane would approve of his locker room behavior , they have a very specific blueprint for the type of players they want and with such a young offense, Bells negative attitude can become contagious 

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

You are right, he did not, my bad. He has gotten pretty close though and can easily get you 1k all purpose yards, Yeldon too.

His highest total is this season in which he has been the starter for since what week 3? He has 755 rushing yards. He is a complementary player and people need to accept that. This isn’t a guy you pay in FA.

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

I read their was an issue between McCoy and McDermott causing Lesean to be benched for the first series.

I further read that the Bills only take a 2.6 million Cap hit if he is released or traded in the offseason.

Honestly at 31 his best days are past and looking at the future why not conside Bell for 3 years to 45 to 48 million, he is 27, fresh after a year off and coming to a team that will have a new and improved offensive line and a ton of draft picks.

Ive read Bell is looking at the Colts but the Colts have Marlon Mack and he is good, young and cost effective.  I think our biggest challenger will be the Jets who could offer comparable money with a slightly better offensive situation but not as many picks due to last years trade up.

Bell on a three year deal is something I would consider.  What about you.

Why not just draft a RB? Spend money wisely along the OL and DL.

8 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

His highest total is this season in which he has been the starter for since what week 3? He has 755 rushing yards. He is a complementary player and people need to accept that. This isn’t a guy you pay in FA.

Who said he's getting paid? He'll get under 5m for sure, probably 4 something. Same for Yeldon. Coleman was #56 on PFF last I checked, Yeldon was right behind him. 

1 hour ago, billspro said:

This is the worst running game I have seen since I became a Bills fan. I can’t even remember the last time a RB ran for more than 6 yards for a first down. That should happen multiple times per game. The running game has put so much pressure on Allen. I would like a vet and a rookie brought in next year along with a new oline. We have so many needs on offence, hopefully Beane has some magic in him.

Nailed this perfectly!  I'm so tired of our pathetic run game and we're supposed to be a running team.  Fix this running next season and Allen will continue to make even bigger strides!  Go Bills, Playoffs next season!

What I dont understand is when every one of us dumb fans know exactly what is happening on literally EVERY SINGLE FIRST DOWN along with the fact that we ALL know these run backs are a f'in joke, why do we insist on running it up the middle every single first down? It's a give-up play. We basically have 2 downs to get a first when every team in the league gets 3 tries.

8 hours ago, billspro said:

This is the worst running game I have seen since I became a Bills fan. I can’t even remember the last time a RB ran for more than 6 yards for a first down. That should happen multiple times per game. The running game has put so much pressure on Allen. I would like a vet and a rookie brought in next year along with a new oline. We have so many needs on offence, hopefully Beane has some magic in him.

I will say this, even though our line is terrible and they likely need three moves I still think it is actually overrated.

no where to run for RBs and on passing plays, come on...a pocket is a pocket, Allen not getting sacked 3 seconds after the ball is snapped does not a pocket make.

a number of times last night I saw Big Ben not have to move six inches left or right in his pocket due to his pocket just plain not collapsing.

Please note I am not excusing our RB play of late, but damn our line stinks.

There’s zero reason to cut McCoy.. 

Is he an elite runner still? Highly doubtful. 

But the bills don’t need the money. You draft/sign guys and let someone win the job. 

It doesn’t hurt to keep McCoy around as a change of pace back or trade bait next season. 

The only way it makes sense to cut him is if he’s a locker room distraction or causing a legit issue with the players/coaches. 

Which has not actually been stated or proven. 

I’m not a fan of his, never was even on the eagles. He has ALWAYS been a -2 -2 -2 runner who can break a big one and make up the yards later. He just hasn’t broken any this year, which is on the line. None of the runners can break anything. We see positive 4-6 yard gains by bruising backs keeping their legs moving. That’s not McCoy’s game. 

Give him a hole and he can still hit it for a decent gain. There are no holes for any of the backs. Hang onto him but for sure add talent to the mix 

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

But the bills don’t need the money. You draft/sign guys and let someone win the job. 

It doesn’t hurt to keep McCoy around as a change of pace back or trade bait next season. 

The only way it makes sense to cut him is if he’s a locker room distraction or causing a legit issue with the players/coaches. 

I’m not a fan of his, never was even on the eagles. He has ALWAYS been a -2 -2 -2 runner who can break a big one and make up the yards later. He just hasn’t broken any this year, which is on the line. None of the runners can break anything. We see positive 4-6 yard gains by bruising backs keeping their legs moving. That’s not McCoy’s game. 

Give him a hole and he can still hit it for a decent gain. There are no holes for any of the backs. Hang onto him but for sure add talent to the mix 

He would have to take a 5m pay cut for me to want him back. If Shady makes 4m/yr I'd keep him around, but at this stage he is a #2 at best. He's making too much money.

Been saying this for weeks and no one wanted to admit it.  Since his concussion hes running scared.  He didnt all of a sudden become 120 pounds...hes going down because hes afraid to get hurt.  I wouldn't be shocked if he retires.  

7 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Sorry.  Hes trash now.  Some one breaths his way he goes down. 

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

He would have to take a 5m pay cut for me to want him back. If Shady makes 4m/yr I'd keep him around, but at this stage he is a #2 at best. He's making too much money.

What do you need the money for? 

Keeping him around doesn’t hurt the teams ability to sign anyone or draft anyone

Cutting him just creates another void. 

He is likely the only vet left on offense and a team captain. He can still contribute just not at an elite level. 

You don’t cut people unless you need the cap savings or already have someone to step up and take the job 

11 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Yeah but Coleman can catch. Yeldon can catch too. Both can get you 1k on the ground, Coleman has done so before.

McCoy can catch too. Doesn't seem to be the focus of this offense though.

Just now, MJS said:

McCoy can catch too. Doesn't seem to be the focus of this offense though.

I'm not so sure about that, maybe he has good hands but he's too slow at this point to make an impact as a receiver. Perhaps I'm projecting my desires on what I think should happen instead of what in all actuality will happen, I don't know.

19 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

What do you need the money for? 

Keeping him around doesn’t hurt the teams ability to sign anyone or draft anyone

Cutting him just creates another void. 

He is likely the only vet left on offense and a team captain. He can still contribute just not at an elite level. 

You don’t cut people unless you need the cap savings or already have someone to step up and take the job 

Because he is making elite RB money when he is barely a #2 if you can even call him that. Either way, he is either not a fit in this offense or he will be out of the league in 2 years, it's hard to say. Regardless, it's time to move on. We can sign two solid RBs with that salary.

• Like (+1) 1