Cut McCoy, Sign Bell (edited from McCoy out 6.4M cap)

RPbillsfan

I'd trade Shady.  Avoid the dead cap issue.  Some team will take him, likely for a 3rd or 4th.  He could complement Mack well in Indy.  

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I will say this, even though our line is terrible and they likely need three moves I still think it is actually overrated.

no where to run for RBs and on passing plays, come on...a pocket is a pocket, Allen not getting sacked 3 seconds after the ball is snapped does not a pocket make.

a number of times last night I saw Big Ben not have to move six inches left or right in his pocket due to his pocket just plain not collapsing.

Please note I am not excusing our RB play of late, but damn our line stinks.

Our O-line and RB's have issues.  The only RB who could gain yards appeared to be Ivory due to his running style.  But even in space when catching a ball, McCoy looks slower than normal. 

We need to trade Shady and Clay (if possible on the latter), or cut and use that money for Coleman, get Paradis at Center.  Eifert and James at TE. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I'd trade Shady.  Avoid the dead cap issue.  Some team will take him, likely for a 3rd or 4th.  He could complement Mack well in Indy.  

Our O-line and RB's have issues.  The only RB who could gain yards appeared to be Ivory due to his running style.  But even in space when catching a ball, McCoy looks slower than normal. 

We need to trade Shady and Clay (if possible on the latter), or cut and use that money for Coleman, get Paradis at Center.  Eifert and James at TE. 

Hey, Ry, I just over on the other thread (should have posted here) that Spotrac has us virtually at $100 million in cap space ($99,686,374 to be exact) if we let Clay and Shady go.

Not 100% sold on moving both considering money isn't a factor, we have so much space, and I want like to see what a better line does...but still...it's more than just a thought.

3 hours ago, Swill Merchant said:

Someone may pay Bell $15+m/season but that doesn't make him worth it. He's a system guy. Everyone they plug in puts up numbers. Hard pass.

...already said he wants to play for the Colts, knowing Irsay is crazy enough to shell out that kind of loot....just catch him in a "full buzz moment".............

Clay will be let go in the next couple of weeks.

McCoy is a different story.  Whether or not he is release or traded before or after 1 June 2019 makes no money difference.

There is no need to rush to a decision about Shady from the Bills perspective.

NOW, from Shady's perspective it's a whole different story.

If he and his agent feel there is a chance of him being released AFTER the FA happens he is in a tougher position.

Beane may ask McCoy and his agent to test the waters as to see if they can find a trade partner to work with.

Remember the new team can also rework his contract.

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

The dead money for McCoy and Clay would be the same regardless of whether they are cut or traded. $2.625M for Shady and $4.5M for Clay.  Shady would cost an extra $6.425M if he plays for us and Clay an extra $4.5M.  I’ve got no problem with saving nearly $11M by getting rid of them, but I’d like to see us get something in trade for at least one of them. It’s not that likely as I don’t see teams willing to part with picks for either, but you never know. 

On 12/23/2018 at 10:41 PM, billspro said:

This is the worst running game I have seen since I became a Bills fan. I can’t even remember the last time a RB ran for more than 6 yards for a first down. That should happen multiple times per game. The running game has put so much pressure on Allen. I would like a vet and a rookie brought in next year along with a new oline. We have so many needs on offence, hopefully Beane has some magic in him.

Yeah well in defense of the coaches , OL and RB , we lost our top two ,pro bowl OL to unexpected situations and with QB being a priority , we had to roll the dice and use a bunch of draft capital and put OL to the side til this off season . 

Good OL play makes the offense look good. Great OL play can make average players look great. We do need alot of pieces on O but we got the franchise QB and now it all starts up front. 

I don’t think we will hit the cap next year so no real down side to keeping him for the final year. 

Change his roll to mostly short yard receiver, not like we have a TE for that roll anyway.

find some young RBs that can pound that ball for 3 years then move on when thier bodies are broken.

3 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I think Shady could be an amazing 3rd down back.... but at that price is the question.

What we don’t know is if Shady is willing to redo the contract, incentive laden and accept a reduced role. He’s on pace for the HOF. Staying with the Bills to the end likely helps induction. Multiple teams at the end of great careers seems to hinder a players chances to get it.

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Just draft a RB on Day 3...

They have seven picks to spend that day and there are other needs to address on Days 1-2..

Josh Jacobs RB Alabama, Should be familiar with Dabolls offense. Good size, tough runner. 

LJ Scott is another. Those are my 2 RBs I like.

I might be in the minority here but I want to keep clay and shady next season. 

But maybe I’m also misinformed and too lazy to look up the details. 

Isn’t next season the last year of both of their contracts? 

We aren’t hurting for the money why cut them? 

We obviously don’t want them to be starters anymore that part I get. 

But why create more holes you don’t have to? 

Let them play out their final years of their contract and draft/sign replacements who can win the jobs. 

The roster spot isn’t an issue until roughly next August what can it hurt? 

For the money they are making and the terrible seasons they’ve had it’s not like they will holdout or demand to be cut. Neither is getting that salary on the open market. 

And they are both in contract years. I have never seen a player in the last year of a contract give minimum effort (until KB this year) 

I see a team like Cleveland who signed Hyde and had Duke Johnson yet drafted Chubb. 

Hyde started out the year, Chubb lit it up and won the job and Cleveland fleeced the jags for a draft pick. That would be my mindset for next season. If McCoy has anything left in the tank he will impress and either be an elite level back, or traded for a pick. 

Worst case he’s out of gas and rides the bench and a younger guy takes his job. 

I just see no reason to get rid of them until replacements are in place. It’s not our money. Lol we aren’t saving anything and the team will be hard pressed to spend ALL the money as it stands right now 

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I might be in the minority here but I want to keep clay and shady next season. 

But maybe I’m also misinformed and too lazy to look up the details. 

Isn’t next season the last year of both of their contracts? 

We aren’t hurting for the money why cut them? 

We obviously don’t want them to be starters anymore that part I get. 

But why create more holes you don’t have to? 

Let them play out their final years of their contract and draft/sign replacements who can win the jobs. 

The roster spot isn’t an issue until roughly next August what can it hurt? 

For the money they are making and the terrible seasons they’ve had it’s not like they will holdout or demand to be cut. Neither is getting that salary on the open market. 

And they are both in contract years. I have never seen a player in the last year of a contract give minimum effort (until KB this year) 

I see a team like Cleveland who signed Hyde and had Duke Johnson yet drafted Chubb. 

Hyde started out the year, Chubb lit it up and won the job and Cleveland fleeced the jags for a draft pick. That would be my mindset for next season. If McCoy has anything left in the tank he will impress and either be an elite level back, or traded for a pick. 

Worst case he’s out of gas and rides the bench and a younger guy takes his job. 

I just see no reason to get rid of them until replacements are in place. It’s not our money. Lol we aren’t saving anything and the team will be hard pressed to spend ALL the money as it stands right now 

I think if you improve the line, Shady still has value, especially if you don't ask him to be the main back. At minimum, I don't see why he couldn't be a good 3rd down back who can catch out of the backfield, etc. No rb would have success behind our current oline. Clay looks beat up and played out to me. TE ought to be a reliable safety valve for a young qb, so I hope draft and free agency is used to upgrade the position.