Matt Barkley extended for two years

jletha

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Wondering if this means they're anticipating Daboll  doesn't get a HC gig and staying ? 

Really Like the move though. Assuming they also feel he's a great influence on Allen

I think it signifies that Allen is an entrenched starter going into next year, and Barkley’s a fine enough backup that gets along with everyone.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Barkleys is a relatively interchangeable backup qb. If he counts as huge I’m not sure what’s minor 

He is one of the few that got behind our line and not only executed Daboll's offense pretty well, but survived without getting broken or concussed.

I think this is a good move...seems like a good locker room guy too. Josh has had a big ol' target on his back since he runs and creates problems for defenses, so it is not a stretch to think he might get dinged along the way and they will need someone to spell him who is capable, but not a distraction or QB controversy guy.

Barkley fits the mold.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Wondering if this means they're anticipating Daboll  doesn't get a HC gig and staying ? 

Really Like the move though. Assuming they also feel he's a great influence on Allen

Shouldn't we have something approaching a competent offense for a season before Daboll gets HC mentions?

Maybe one game was premature, maybe it wasnt, but Barkley seems to fit well with the team and it gives us a guaranteed option as a backup for two years.  If worse came to worse and Barkey wasn't a good backup, I am pretty sure the terms of the two years contract wont cripple the team if he was cut.   I think it is a good move overall

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

"You guys" are everyone who thinks this is a good move because of what he showed in his one game, and not in his entire career of crappiness and getting cut seven times. He's just like Peterman, only slightly smarter.

We're all in this together wanting the Bills to win. I don't think this helps them in the long run to win, he's not good enough to win half his games if you need him for a long stretch if your starter goes down.

He had the best game of his career, and I was absolutely thrilled with it, but he has been on six teams for a reason; he's not good enough. And he didn't show in that one game that his death knell doesn't exist.

I'm in this boat as well. I don't even consider him a serviceable backup. He played well and completed his ducks in a victory against a 2-win team that quit on their coach, so I sort of get the excitement from fans that have never seen him play before. But, If this guy ever has to come in for 6 or 7 games he might win one or two. Maybe.

Anyways, after the QB problems and heat the FO took this year, I fully expect them to carry 3 QBs next year -- and they absolutely should. So if Barkley is going to play the 3rd string/mentor role at QB I think its a good deal.

11 hours ago, jletha said:

Makes sense. Also they have seen him practice for awhile now and feel confident he can be a solid backup. Cross another item off the offseason needs list.

11 hours ago, Shortchaz said:

Looking jacked in that pic ?

Just age :D

• Like (+1) 1

Pleased with this move. Would like to see them add competition of the #2 job through camp but if we end up with Josh and Matt going into 2019 I could certainly live with that. 

The great thing about this is Barkley earned it. McDermott says the process is about earning it.... but that was becoming less credible when Peterman kept being given shots his play on the field hadn't earned. Matt Barkley came in off his sofa, less than 10 days on the team, played a hell of a game and led the Bills to a win. He'd have had lots of ready made excuses for failure but he didn't need them. He laced them up and went and earned it. 

• Like (+1) 2

Another perspective of why this is a good move: Look at the back-ups who will be starting this week in the NFL. The guys in San Francisco and Carolina, I'd never even heard of before they had this gig, Jacksonville--Cody Kessler. Getting a smart and apparently reliable veteran,  It's a good move.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dgrochester55 said:

Maybe one game was premature, maybe it wasnt, but Barkley seems to fit well with the team and it gives us a guaranteed option as a backup for two years.  If worse came to worse and Barkey wasn't a good backup, I am pretty sure the terms of the two years contract wont cripple the team if he was cut.   I think it is a good move overall

...true, but the QB back up scrap heap ain't real pretty......stats are similar to McCarron with the one real difference being Barkley is well traveled versus McCarron being on only one team......

Just now, longtimebillsfan said:

Really like this move. 

Will they also keep Anderson as a player, as a coach,  or release him

We'll probably be mighty fine with just Allen and Barkley but I would not be upset at all if Anderson stayed on another year. Allen and Barkley are both relatively young and are within that fighting age for men. Could probably just carry 2 QBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Doc said:

Now extend Jordan Phillips. 

Doc, if you would have posted a picture of bikini clad models playing with puppies instead, you still would not have gotten the amount of upvotes you’ve received for the above.

100% spot on brother.

As far as Barkley, I honestly believe he is a dependable back-up and a team player for Allen going forward.  I’ve wanted him signed and done with for a few weeks. I love this move.

I am not looking for a starter in his position.  I need a guy who is there for his team, his starter, and able to start a couple of games, if necessary.

• Like (+1) 2

I think this is a brilliant move. While nobody around the league was looking, the Bills locked up their QB position for the next few years...and without breaking the bank. In the hit and miss world of backup QBs the team has a not-so-old veteran, with a seemingly great attitude, who can help mentor their young starter. Well done! 

• Like (+1) 2