Matt Barkley extended for two years

jletha

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Let’s not act like Belichick has made a serious effort to improve the position. He has drafted 3 QBs in the fourth round or above in the last 18 years. 2 in the 7th round. They draft QBs mostly to have a cheap guy as a backup and because they can fleece teams by making Matt Cassel look good. 

A slight difference between having possibly the best QBs of all time and having 2 QBs with QBs rating in the 60s.  The main point is we shouldn’t stop locking. Doesn’t mean it has to be a 1st but they need to keep bringing in talent.

if Allen turns out to be guy, that’s great and we have possible trade chips.  But if Allen turns out like JP and we pass on Rodgers, I’m going to riot!

Edited by C.Biscuit97

On 12/21/2018 at 3:14 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

You guys are going to regret this the next time he is asked to play close to a full game that counts. ;)

No real reason to settle for Matt Barkley.

There have never been more physically gifted QB's in the NFL than right now and having such a limited one behind Allen isn't ideal.

Hopefully they remain aggressive wrt QB depth.

32 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No real reason to settle for Matt Barkley.

There have never been more physically gifted QB's in the NFL than right now and having such a limited one behind Allen isn't ideal.

Hopefully they remain aggressive wrt QB depth.

...and exactly what superior depth is out there that even Waste Management wouldn't pass on?....share your crystal bawls.....we're waiting...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Hopefully Matt Barkley is to Josh Allen as Frank Reich was to Jim Kelly. We shall see.

Congrats to Mr. Barkley. Just watching that dismantling of the Jets made the season for me, as I am surrounded by Jets, Giants and Patsy fans! 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/21/2018 at 3:21 PM, Fan in Chicago said:

Excellent move ! Start locking up these key guys (yes, the backup is a key player).

I think McBeane understand that better now. And a vet presence or two for a rookie/ 2nd year QB.

Barkley and DA are good for this.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

A slight difference between having possibly the best QBs of all time and having 2 QBs with QBs rating in the 60s.  The main point is we shouldn’t stop locking. Doesn’t mean it has to be a 1st but they need to keep bringing in talent.

if Allen turns out to be guy, that’s great and we have possible trade chips.  But if Allen turns out like JP and we pass on Rodgers, I’m going to riot!

Im all for them taking flyers later in the draft.  It's just that your post made it feel like Belichick was drafting QBs every season and that's just not so.

18 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Seriously, do you think JA is not the absolute starter next year?

Need 3 QBs for next year.  I'm hoping they get an older vet for 1 year.

Maybe one shakes out from another team being Anderson is probably hanging them up.

Nope I think Allen is the future.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/21/2018 at 9:17 PM, H2o said:

Beane is asleep at the wheel

This headline was news to me a moment ago (out of the country for xmas) and my immediate reaction was "Stupid" so of course, it's funny to read all the "great move!" comments in here.

LOL.

6 minutes ago, cantankerous said:

Someone who’s played more than 12 career games. Someone who didn’t get a contract extension by playing 1 decent game. How can you be happy with MB? 

....guess we shoula signed Jimmy "The Pickle" Clausen.....10 starts and sure to arrive at OBD in a limo driven by Touchdown Jesus............

35 minutes ago, cantankerous said:

Someone who’s played more than 12 career games. Someone who didn’t get a contract extension by playing 1 decent game. How can you be happy with MB? 

Because Bills fans aren’t allowed to want more.  We should just be happy with a team.

14 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Im all for them taking flyers later in the draft.  It's just that your post made it feel like Belichick was drafting QBs every season and that's just not so.

But they traded up in the 2nd to take Jimmy G when the best qb was ever in his prime.  

Im fine with taking a qb every year.  If Allen doesn’t progress as a passer next year, I want a qb in the first the following year.  Never settle.

35 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This headline was news to me a moment ago (out of the country for xmas) and my immediate reaction was "Stupid" so of course, it's funny to read all the "great move!" comments in here.

LOL.

There are a lot of people who don't understand the sarcasm of it because they haven't been here as long as the rest of us. It used to be quite the common statement when Buddy Nix was running things around here. :thumbsup:

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Because Bills fans aren’t allowed to want more.  We should just be happy with a team.

But they traded up in the 2nd to take Jimmy G when the best qb was ever in his prime.  

Im fine with taking a qb every year.  If Allen doesn’t progress as a passer next year, I want a qb in the first the following year.  Never settle.

...true and then they let him walk, as well as Jacoby, settling on all of the eggs in the 41 year old Brady Basket with Hoyer as his back up.....something just isn't passing the smell test as far as their forward look and succession plan, which is fine by me....maybe there is some truth to internal strife and disagreement, again fine by me.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They didn't trade up.  He was selected 3rd last in round 2.  Brady was 37 years old and maybe for Brady that might be HIS prime, but most QBs are on the decline by then.  They probably anticipated his decline and or retirement and liked the kid so drafted him as a replacement.  Again, lets not act like the Pats do this every year.  They draft QBs mostly for low dollar backups.  Some of them end up getting traded to dumb teams and then they draft another low dollar backup. 

I have no problem with the Bills drafting more QBs, but lets not act like the Pats do this every year or act like they do it primarily looking to upgrade.

Edited by Scott7975

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

They didn't trade up.  He was selected 3rd last in round 2.  Brady was 37 years old and maybe for Brady that might be HIS prime, but most QBs are on the decline by then.  They probably anticipated his decline and or retirement and liked the kid so drafted him as a replacement.  Again, lets not act like the Pats do this every year.  They draft QBs mostly for low dollar backups.  Some of them end up getting traded to dumb teams and then they draft another low dollar backup. 

I have no problem with the Bills drafting more QBs, but lets not act like the Pats do this every year or act like they do it primarily looking to upgrade.

You’re right. I thought they traded up for him. I’m so stupid!!! ?

but my larger point is the team that has the greatest qb ever still doesn’t settle.  They took cokehead Mallett, Hoyer, Jacoby, Jimmy G.  I think that might be more qbs than he Bills have drafted in the same time.  

But yeah, I want note options than Allen (hopefully the franchise) and Matt Barkley (dime a dozen backup).

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

....didn't Rodgers sit for six years behind Favre?......so Jimmy G and Jacoby are both gone with Hoyer behind Brady?......sure as hell is reassuring.............

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

but my larger point is the team that has the greatest qb ever still doesn’t settle.  They took cokehead Mallett, Hoyer, Jacoby, Jimmy G.  I think that might be more qbs than he Bills have drafted in the same time.  

But yeah, I want note options than Allen (hopefully the franchise) and Matt Barkley (dime a dozen backup).

Hoyer was an undrafted FA.  You forgot Cassel!

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They drafted Jimmy G that high because they didn't think Brady would still be there in 4 years.