Matt Barkley extended for two years

jletha

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You guys are going to regret this the next time he is asked to play close to a full game that counts. ;)

I don't think I will ever regret it if a backup QB loses a game. If the starter goes down you're not likely to win. What's the problem with Barkley? He is more than a capable backup.

• Like (+1) 5

25 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He wasn't hurt when they signed Anderson, which was two weeks before.

Bottom line

The backing QB spot is improved over what we headed into last season with.

They will probably be looking for a developmental guy to.....but now its the present and future Josh Allen.....and the steady backup not to be confused with franchise guy Matt Barkeley

Which is fine.   All you want a backup guy to do is to come in and not ***** himself for like 3 games a year.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, klos63 said:

It used to be veteran qb's that weren't that good anymore were mentors, now i guess it's just a backup QB.  I think people like using the word 'mentor'.

I like using the word 'salsa.'

I don't see anything wrong with calling a vet QB a mentor for a rookie. When I was new to my profession, the old-timers mentored me. As I aged, I became a mentor for the youngsters.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

For the life of me I don't understand what Beane is waiting for...he's our best dl against the run and he's consistant.It's a no brainer!

I’m sure he’s working on it.  Will take a few more ducats than Barkley got though, which is probably the holdup. 

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Tend to agree.

The guy was on the street until more than half way through the season and his history is why. He put up one good game in a Bills uniform. 

I hope they draft another young QB this year. 

He had a great game as a backup for the Bills. Which is more than can be said for most of the Bills’ backup QBs going back decades. 

37 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

For the life of me I don't understand what Beane is waiting for...he's our best dl against the run and he's consistant.It's a no brainer!

The other side has to also want to sign the extension....and what makes you think they are not working on it?   The Barkeley thing just broke today and NOBODY was even talking about it.

1 hour ago, jletha said:

A need we don't have to worry about in the off-season now. Draft or sign a developmental guy for preseason, and move on to other needs.

43 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The general consensus around the league the last 50 years is that your back-up QB should be able to hold the fort if your starter goes down. Not win games for you but not lose them either. And if you can break even, say, go 2-2 if your starter misses four games versus 0-4 or 1-3, you have a good back-up. Barkley is not that guy and five teams have already decided that.

This isn't a question of experience or a guy finally getting it. Barkley "got it" a long time ago. His physical limitations are what always did and always will hold him back. He's also capable of having games like he did against the Jets. He never had one like that in his whole career but he is capable of it if his weak-ass throws are not intercepted when they could or should be, like happened in that game. He's always been a smart guy with pretty good accuracy. But he's Peterman Plus and that ain't good enough, which is why the Bills are his sixth team.

Not sure who is going to be available. The Bills thought DA was a much better choice before they signed Barkley.

Not true, Barkley was still recovering from his knee injury when DA signed.

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

You seem to be conflating an argument about starters with an argument about backups here. In no way shape or form is Pennington a comparable (and, btw, his arm was good enough until the debilitating shoulder - rotator cuff - injury he suffered but played through for the rest of his career).

My argument includes starters and backups. If you don’t have the minimum requirement for even a 3-4 game stretch you shouldn’t be considered for either. There have been guys in the league with rag arms but no one with any even backup success as far as I’m concerned. And I don’t want them on my team. 

• Haha (+1) 1