Matt Barkley extended for two years

jletha

17 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The general consensus around the league the last 50 years is that your back-up QB should be able to hold the fort if your starter goes down. Not win games for you but not lose them either. And if you can break even, say, go 2-2 if your starter misses four games versus 0-4 or 1-3, you have a good back-up. Barkley is not that guy and five teams have already decided that.

This isn't a question of experience or a guy finally getting it. Barkley "got it" a long time ago. His physical limitations are what always did and always will hold him back. He's also capable of having games like he did against the Jets. He never had one like that in his whole career but he is capable of it if his weak-ass throws are not intercepted when they could or should be, like happened in that game. He's always been a smart guy with pretty good accuracy. But he's Peterman Plus and that ain't good enough, which is why the Bills are his sixth team.

Not sure who is going to be available. The Bills thought DA was a much better choice before they signed Barkley.

I think they only brought in DA because of familiarity. Not Trying to compare, but teams thought Rich Gannon and Matt Hasselbeck weren't very good either. IJS 

18 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The general consensus around the league the last 50 years is that your back-up QB should be able to hold the fort if your starter goes down. Not win games for you but not lose them either. And if you can break even, say, go 2-2 if your starter misses four games versus 0-4 or 1-3, you have a good back-up. Barkley is not that guy and five teams have already decided that.

This isn't a question of experience or a guy finally getting it. Barkley "got it" a long time ago. His physical limitations are what always did and always will hold him back. He's also capable of having games like he did against the Jets. He never had one like that in his whole career but he is capable of it if his weak-ass throws are not intercepted when they could or should be, like happened in that game. He's always been a smart guy with pretty good accuracy. But he's Peterman Plus and that ain't good enough, which is why the Bills are his sixth team.

Not sure who is going to be available. The Bills thought DA was a much better choice before they signed Barkley.

?? My understanding is that they signed Barkley immediately after he had recovered from his injury that he had sustained in the late preseason, and that he wasn't ready to play when they signed Anderson. If that's the case, then your supposition isn't really valid.

More broadly, is the Matt Barkley-sucks hill one that you're really prepared to die on? Sheesh.

7 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He was likely to be the bengals backup QB behind Dalton, but he was injured in preseason.  You can only bring 2 players back from IR and its unlikely to be your backup QB... so he signed the settlement and caught on with a team right when he was able to play again.  He's still relatively young and has bounced around the league quite a bit, so hopefully that's given him some perspective and helped him learn how to be a pro.

There are a looooooot of bad QBs with jobs... so i think he'd have still been employed.  Peterman just got signed....

Yes, this. The Bengals as far as I know were not planning on cutting him. 

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You guys are going to regret this the next time he is asked to play close to a full game that counts. ;)

He's a backup and a willing mentor to our franchise qb. If he is called to replace the starter because of an injury he will play at an acceptable backup level. Barkley demonstrated in the Jet game that as a short-term replacement qb he can play reasonably well. 

Are your enumerations of his weaknesses accurate? Most people will acknowledge them because they are so apparent. But as a backup qb on our team with a young qb who still needs a lot of schooling having Barkley signed for a couple years is a terrific situation for the backup and the team. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Wait, wait...Joe Dufek had a prime?  I was going to ask if we would be able to tell the difference between Joe Dufek in his prime and Joe Dufek now.  I was a big Marangi back in the day.

i've posted this before, Dufek lives out here in Phoenix, I just drove by his old office and it still has the Joe Dufek Insurance sign on it. I laugh and cry about the 'Dufek' era everytime I see that sign.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

?? My understanding is that they signed Barkley immediately after he had recovered from his injury that he had sustained in the late preseason, and that he wasn't ready to play when they signed Anderson. If that's the case, then your supposition isn't really valid.

More broadly, is the Matt Barkley-sucks hill one that you're really prepared to die on? Sheesh.

Yes, this. The Bengals as far as I know were not planning on cutting him. 

Yeah - its like did the light click on?  Maybe a little?  He bounced around a lot but he's seeming to kind of find his way.

Solid move.

We've only seen Matt Barkley in this offense once, but that's more than any other backup we can find on the market (other than Taylor and Peterman).  And his performance in that game was better than anyone could possibly have expected.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

No, I have already explained that he's capable of having a game like that, and that I loved it, and he's capable of having others. He never had before, however, he's been released by five other teams a total of seven times, was a fourth round pick because of the same reasons I am giving, and he's likely never to again because of stuff I have explained already, too, with specific reasons. All you have offered is he's great, look at his one game.

I think what you’re describing is the backup qb for 75% of the league or better. I’d also like someone a little better than Barkley, but we could do worse (as we’ve seen). 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He wasn't hurt when they signed Anderson, which was two weeks before.

LOL. He had a grade 3 MCL sprain (the worst kind) that he suffered on August 31, and it's hardly a 4-weeks-and-you're-all-better injury. 

As a sidenote, now you know what it must have felt like when I was defending Clay! :)

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, dave mcbride said:

My understanding was that he was fine a few weeks into the season and was just sitting on his couch waiting for a call from anyone (working out hard, of course).

The Barkley (and guys like him) sucks hill is something that I have been harping on for 30 years and it's never been proven false, unless you want to count Chad Pennington, who is the only QB in those years that has been successful with a rag arm. I understand that you don't think Barkley has a rag arm and you're entitled to that opinion. I would love to see the deep out he has gunned at any time in his career. If he had Josh McCown's arm, whom you referenced earlier, I would be all over this signing.

46 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Good move! Josh Allen has said many times how much Barkley and Anderson have helped him.

I say re-sign Anderson to a similar deal and focus on other areas going forward.

No way. If Anderson is even remotely interested in playing after this year I’d be surprised. Barkley deal was probably 2-3 mil per.

If Anderson is interested bring him back next year as an offensive assistant or assistant QB coach for $500k a year not against the cap.

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

My understanding was that he was fine a few weeks into the season and was just sitting on his couch waiting for a call from anyone (working out hard, of course).

The Barkley (and guys like him) sucks hill is something that I have been harping on for 30 years and it's never been proven false, unless you want to count Chad Pennington, who is the only QB in those years that has been successful with a rag arm. I understand that you don't think Barkley has a rag arm and you're entitled to that opinion. I would love to see the deep out he has gunned at any time in his career. If he had Josh McCown's arm, whom you referenced earlier, I would be all over this signing.

You seem to be conflating an argument about starters with an argument about backups here. In no way shape or form is Pennington a comparable (and, btw, his arm was good enough until the debilitating shoulder - rotator cuff - injury he suffered but played through for the rest of his career).

19 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He wasn't hurt when they signed Anderson, which was two weeks before.

"Barkley tore the medial collateral ligament in his left knee during this year’s preseason finale with the Cincinnati Bengals and was placed on injured reserve, only to be released with an injury settlement. He was medically cleared to return to the field shortly before signing with the Bills."

I guess shortly could be two weeks, but like someone said, they were comfortable with Anderson.

19 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Brace yourselves bills fans we may be going into our first offseason ever with an undisputed starter and solid back up at QB. 

It’s been a long time  

It will be nice to not gave to spend time in the FA QB market or a draft pick. Build around the position for once.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JimS said:

"Barkley tore the medial collateral ligament in his left knee during this year’s preseason finale with the Cincinnati Bengals and was placed on injured reserve, only to be released with an injury settlement. He was medically cleared to return to the field shortly before signing with the Bills."

I guess shortly could be two weeks, but like someone said, they were comfortable with Anderson.

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Very good extension but truth be told, it wasnt like Beane actively sought him out early. We stumbled across him when we were woefully short on QBs. 

I love that he's here for another two years, smart move. And perhaps all the woeful suffering this team went through at QB before Josh came back from injury just may have worked in our favor........we shall see if and when we need Barkley to play.