Matt Barkley extended for two years

jletha

An improvement over Peterman and DA for sure.  

And good for Barkley.  He had maybe his best game when he needed it most and it payed off.  Look what happened to Sanchez? He bombed again.  It's great for Matt to have his last start be that good because we know nothing else other than his jets game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Who are these "you guys" you speak of ? Aren't we all in this together ?

"You guys" are everyone who thinks this is a good move because of what he showed in his one game, and not in his entire career of crappiness and getting cut seven times. He's just like Peterman, only slightly smarter.

We're all in this together wanting the Bills to win. I don't think this helps them in the long run to win, he's not good enough to win half his games if you need him for a long stretch if your starter goes down.

He had the best game of his career, and I was absolutely thrilled with it, but he has been on six teams for a reason; he's not good enough. And he didn't show in that one game that his death knell doesn't exist.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

"You guys" are everyone who thinks this is a good move because of what he showed in his one game, and not in his entire career of crappiness and getting cut seven times. He's just like Peterman, only slightly smarter.

We're all in this together wanting the Bills to win. I don't think this helps them in the long run to win, he's not good enough to win half his games if you need him for a long stretch if your starter goes down.

He had the best game of his career, and I was absolutely thrilled with it, but he has been on six teams for a reason; he's not good enough. And he didn't show in that one game that his death knell doesn't exist.

He played great against us in the preseason. Maybe he is starting to get it. I like the move.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I mean from the perspective of assessing him as a back-up it would of been nice to see a few more games out of him but it was more important to get Josh back out there. I mean the Jets game should of raised his stock some so if a guy they bring in for preseason passes him they might get something for him.

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There is maybe one or two backups in the league that could do this.... This is a dumb bright-line. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Who would you rather they signed?  Realistically.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Evident from the responses in this thread is that the "you guys" are in an overwhelming majority. Sure his one Bills game will show like his career highlight reel but we do not know how the coaches will game plan if he is to start. Much of the responsibilities in case of Allen going down is how McD game plans. The solid team has a good defense and a run based passing game. We already have a solid D and if we add good O talent, I think that a Barkley can lead a team to win half his games. Given that many teams still struggle to establish starting QBs, a solid backup is also rare to have. You are entitled to your opinion ofcourse but I believe this is a good move. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Playing great in preseason should be renamed "The Nathan Peterman Syndrome."

I wasn’t impressed with Peterman in the preseason. He’s lucky he had four pick sixes dropped. He also benefited from a lot of broken coverages.

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

H'es just like Peterman?

You have just lost every ounce of credibility you once had.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

There is maybe one or two backups in the league that could do this.... This is a dumb bright-line. 

The general consensus around the league the last 50 years is that your back-up QB should be able to hold the fort if your starter goes down. Not win games for you but not lose them either. And if you can break even, say, go 2-2 if your starter misses four games versus 0-4 or 1-3, you have a good back-up. Barkley is not that guy and five teams have already decided that.

This isn't a question of experience or a guy finally getting it. Barkley "got it" a long time ago. His physical limitations are what always did and always will hold him back. He's also capable of having games like he did against the Jets. He never had one like that in his whole career but he is capable of it if his weak-ass throws are not intercepted when they could or should be, like happened in that game. He's always been a smart guy with pretty good accuracy. But he's Peterman Plus and that ain't good enough, which is why the Bills are his sixth team.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Who would you rather they signed?  Realistically.

Not sure who is going to be available. The Bills thought DA was a much better choice before they signed Barkley.