Matt Barkley extended for two years

jletha

Bills Sign QB Matt Barkley to a Two-Year Contract Extension

x9fsrbooidn55ms4ettk.jpg

There was an early present under the Christmas tree for QB Matt Barkley on Friday. Though he only joined the team in Week 10 and put in less than half a season with the Bills, Barkley made enough of an impression to earn a two-year contract extension from the Buffalo Bills on Friday.

“It’s worked out pretty well,” Barkley told Buffalobills.com. “At the outset of the season I was injured and got released and was sitting on my couch at home not knowing what the future held. But at the same time I kept working and staying confident and worked to get back on the field. To see the extension today and knowing I have a future with the Bills and knowing it’s a place I really want to be… I love this team and this organization and the QB room we have, it’s really, really special.”

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, billspro said:

I wasn’t impressed with Peterman in the preseason. He’s lucky he had four pick sixes dropped. He also benefited from a lot of broken coverages.

I wasn't either. But what I meant was, guys like Barkley and Peterman can look great in preseason with physical limitations because the game is played at 3/4 speed. If Barkley had a slightly better arm I would be all for this. But he doesn't.

And people will say I would much better have accuracy than a strong arm and they will be both right and wrong and completely missing the point. 

• Like (+1) 1

SARCASM ON ....

What is up with ***** and McClappy??!!? With all the $#%#% jokes we have on offense...they sign a FREAKIN' back up QB. Does this team EVEN know what they are doing??!!??? First they miss on Mahomes (fill in any QB of your fixation) AND THEY THOUGHT they could placate us with this crap pile of a signing??!?! I will wait for all the McBeane apologists to come in and tell me how wrong I am...blah blah freakin' blah..

.....SARCASM OFF

PS lol why was BE AN auto filtered?

Edited by aceman_16

Glad they got this done for the backup QB. Those who don't like it...he's the backup QB, 90% of the time if your backup is forced to start, you are not expected to win anyway. It's not like we need him to compete with Allen for the starting position. There's not a Nick Foles available for every team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The general consensus around the league the last 50 years is that your back-up QB should be able to hold the fort if your starter goes down. Not win games for you but not lose them either. And if you can break even, say, go 2-2 if your starter misses four games versus 0-4 or 1-3, you have a good back-up. Barkley is not that guy and five teams have already decided that.

This isn't a question of experience or a guy finally getting it. Barkley "got it" a long time ago. His physical limitations are what always did and always will hold him back. He's also capable of having games like he did against the Jets. He never had one like that in his whole career but he is capable of it if his weak-ass throws are not intercepted when they could or should be, like happened in that game. He's always been a smart guy with pretty good accuracy. But he's Peterman Plus and that ain't good enough, which is why the Bills are his sixth team.

Not sure who is going to be available. The Bills thought DA was a much better choice before they signed Barkley.

Barkley was hurt, he couldn't sign with anyone until he was cleared.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The general consensus around the league the last 50 years is that your back-up QB should be able to hold the fort if your starter goes down. Not win games for you but not lose them either. And if you can break even, say, go 2-2 if your starter misses four games versus 0-4 or 1-3, you have a good back-up. Barkley is not that guy and five teams have already decided that.

This isn't a question of experience or a guy finally getting it. Barkley "got it" a long time ago. His physical limitations are what always did and always will hold him back. He's also capable of having games like he did against the Jets. He never had one like that in his whole career but he is capable of it if his weak-ass throws are not intercepted when they could or should be, like happened in that game. He's always been a smart guy with pretty good accuracy. But he's Peterman Plus and that ain't good enough, which is why the Bills are his sixth team.

Not sure who is going to be available. The Bills thought DA was a much better choice before they signed Barkley.

Except when he comes out after being with a team for 10 days and drops a season high 41 points on  the opposing team on the road..

Let me guess...that game didn't count tho right? Because of whatever reasoning you use to make it fit inside the nice little argument box you constructed that has holes from every angle you look at it...

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

"You guys" are everyone who thinks this is a good move because of what he showed in his one game, and not in his entire career of crappiness and getting cut seven times. He's just like Peterman, only slightly smarter.

We're all in this together wanting the Bills to win. I don't think this helps them in the long run to win, he's not good enough to win half his games if you need him for a long stretch if your starter goes down.

He had the best game of his career, and I was absolutely thrilled with it, but he has been on six teams for a reason; he's not good enough. And he didn't show in that one game that his death knell doesn't exist.

which other backups in the league would be a better fit?

25 minutes ago, jamiezzz said:

Good move!  Although, I believe his options after this year may have been very slim.

He was likely to be the bengals backup QB behind Dalton, but he was injured in preseason.  You can only bring 2 players back from IR and its unlikely to be your backup QB... so he signed the settlement and caught on with a team right when he was able to play again.  He's still relatively young and has bounced around the league quite a bit, so hopefully that's given him some perspective and helped him learn how to be a pro.

There are a looooooot of bad QBs with jobs... so i think he'd have still been employed.  Peterman just got signed....

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Except when he comes out after being with a team for 10 days and drops a season high 41 points on  the opposing team on the road..

Let me guess...that game didn't count tho right? Because of whatever reasoning you use to make it fit inside the nice little argument box you constructed that has holes from every angle you look at it...

No, I have already explained that he's capable of having a game like that, and that I loved it, and he's capable of having others. He never had before, however, he's been released by five other teams a total of seven times, was a fourth round pick because of the same reasons I am giving, and he's likely never to again because of stuff I have explained already, too, with specific reasons. All you have offered is he's great, look at his one game.

30 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Good to hear. He's a solid backup and a good mentor for Josh.

It used to be veteran qb's that weren't that good anymore were mentors, now i guess it's just a backup QB.  I think people like using the word 'mentor'.

26 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Joe Dufek in his prime or Joe Dufek now?

Wait, wait...Joe Dufek had a prime?  I was going to ask if we would be able to tell the difference between Joe Dufek in his prime and Joe Dufek now.  I was a big Marangi back in the day.

• Haha (+1) 1