So I put in an offer on a house today

Kirby Jackson

great work kirby!  congrats.  what a great house for a young, single guy.  it has everything you need, no updates needed, nice back yard, etc.  i'm a big fan of building equity, and this is a winner.  tomorrow i sign on a business loan to finally build my own building, (this is my LAMP).  i was sick of renting a space that didn't work, so i'm building a building with a lab so i pay myself.  the debt is a kick in the nuts at first, but after 2-3 years, life settles, it becomes easier.  i'll sell it or give it to my kids.  i'm done renting or leasing anything.  

• Like (+1) 4

Must be that time of year. My wife and I, as of tomorrow (Wednesday) will have been in our new house for just two weeks. Still have boxes to unpack of course. Good luck with the process, it took about two months from our initial viewing of the house to moving in. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Just Jack said:

Must be that time of year. My wife and I, as of tomorrow (Wednesday) will have been in our new house for just two weeks. Still have boxes to unpack of course. Good luck with the process, it took about two months from our initial viewing of the house to moving in. 

the mortgage process currently is awful.  

• Like (+1) 1

My son is going through the mortgage process now. I can’t believe all the personal financial information that they want him to email to them.  Everything that you aren’t supposed to do is exactly what they want him to do.  I’ve spoken to other people who have recently gone through the process, and they said that they also were asked to email way too much sensitive information. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Awesome. 3 bed rooms.  

Can I book 1 bedroom for beginning of may? for 3 weeks.  

Done

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Looks freaking great! Fingers crossed all goes well!

i am on phone so apologies  if easy to tell.. but where is “ new area”!

It’s in Gentilly not far from the park. I have some friends around there. It’s where all of the young professionals (or a lot of them) are going.

38 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is a total LAMP post but I’m excited. I’m recently single (after 10 years) and it’s something that I’ve been thinking about. This will (hopefully) be my first house. I will find out by tomorrow.

I thought you just got married? Ok well I’m way behind. congrats on the house!

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I thought you just got married? Ok well I’m way behind. congrats on the house!

I was SUPPOSED to get married but that didn’t happen. Oh well

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

So how is an old dolt like you gunna fit in!

I’ve got room!! It’s just me and my dog that weighs 16 lbs

Can you walk to the Ugly Dog Saloon? 

Uber is your friend. I walked TO the saloon, but was incapable of walking back. But 22-9 still sticks in my head. 

If it’s not this one, it will be the next. Don’t fret over that part of it. Life unfolds as it is supposed to. I promise. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is a total LAMP post but I’m excited. I’m recently single (after 10 years) and it’s something that I’ve been thinking about. This will (hopefully) be my first house. I will find out by tomorrow.

Congrats.  

Looks nice 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

37 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I am SO in that jacuzzi.  Buckle up, buttercup.

Congrats!

Ain't all of NOLA one big jacuzzi?

"8 feet below sea level, protected by dikes and serviced by ferries."

Just kidding Kirby congrats! 

Kirby... I just checked the map.  You are right next to the levee.  I went on the map and checked out where the flood gates and pumping stations are!  That's a storm canal that pumps directly to the Pontchartrain.

In all seriousness... That's all new infrastructure since Katrina, right?  Who maintains the levees, pumps, mows, keeps vegetation down, etc?  From the satellite view, it looks like a lot went into the area after Katrina.

That storm channel, from the looks of it has three pumping stations.  Handles some of the city.  The massive one at mouth of channel @ Lake Pontchartrain is huge.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Ain't all of NOLA one big jacuzzi?

"8 feet below sea level, protected by dikes and serviced by ferries."

Just kidding Kirby congrats! 

Kirby... I just checked the map.  You are right next to the levee.  I went on the map and checked out where the flood gates and pumping stations are!  That's a storm canal that pumps directly to the Pontchartrain.

In all seriousness... That's all new infrastructure since Katrina, right?  Who maintains the levees, pumps, mows, keeps vegetation down, etc?  From the satellite view, it looks like a lot went into the area after Katrina.

That storm channel, from the looks of it has three pumping stations.  Handles some of the city.  The massive one at mouth of channel @ Lake Pontchartrain is huge.

Yeah, the area was rocked during Katrina. A lot has been done since then in that area. The Sewage and Water Board maintains the pumps and such. They don’t have the greatest reputation. This area is in much better shape now. Katrina gave that area a chance to redevelop. 

• Like (+1) 2

Didn't get the chance to reply to this yesterday with the adequate time I wanted but I am very happy for you!  I'll text you later for a few other notes of more personal attention. This is great, though!  I had been curious how the whole job situation was going considering the stress you'd recently been under and that you had quite a bit of ***** going on with the now-ex!

In other news, Jennifer (girlfriend) has been trying to get me to go visit New Orleans for a few months. She used to go there a lot while she was getting her doctorate at MSU. It's where she met the NBA player she dated for a while - and I don't see how he looks like me disirregardless of you thinking so.

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Nice!

After I sold mine, I got myself into a 15 month lease at an apartment.  Once that’s done, getting my own house.

I’ll have a Kirby room with Bills sheets and blankets for you to crash on.

Kiss up! You just want a place to land in NOLA, in return for a room down the road from the Big Chicken! 

?

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

My son is going through the mortgage process now. I can’t believe all the personal financial information that they want him to email to them.  Everything that you aren’t supposed to do is exactly what they want him to do.  I’ve spoken to other people who have recently gone through the process, and they said that they also were asked to email way too much sensitive information. 

Yeah, it was a lot!! It was all of my banking, tax returns, w-2’s, investments, pay stubs, license, etc...I sent it all and then shredded it.

15 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you are not an expert at all things Houses, get a house inspection.  It can be money very well spent.

• Like (+1) 2

How old is it?  Hope you have a contingency for an inspection.  Make sure it has adequate, or better, insulation.  Modern "up to code" electrical, roof and HVAC is a must too.  Any pain in the as* HOA's?

I know you're excited, so best of luck!  Oh yeah, that goes for your future neighbors too!

13 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

If you are not an expert at all things Houses, get a house inspection.  It can be money very well spent.

5 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

How old is it?  Hope you have a contingency for an inspection.  Make sure it has adequate, or better, insulation.  Modern "up to code" electrical, roof and HVAC is a must too.  Any pain in the as* HOA's?

I know you're excited, so best of luck!  Oh yeah, that goes for your future neighbors too!

It is new construction. There will be an inspection and a pipe inspection as a part of it (assuming they accept my offer). There is no HOA.

I have been on pins and needles all day. I’m really hoping that it works out. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

My son had the house inspection. He may back out.  The inspector found insect damage, mystery plumbing, cracked roof truss, failing bathroom tiles, roof at end of life, and several other smaller issues. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It is new construction. There will be an inspection and a pipe inspection as a part of it (assuming they accept my offer). There is no HOA.

If they accept your offer, lets drop acid together and stare at a lava lamp.

20 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I literally wanted to kill my last housing inspector.  We had polyethylene piping in my house...no leaks.  

He didn't just recommend to the new owners to have them replaced, he told them it's dangerous to not replace them.  It was on his inspection report.

A licensed plumber looked at our house and said that the pipes were fine.  It's on a slab and generally leaks happen in these pipes when they start to sag.  Under a slab, it makes it less likely they'll sag.  He recommenced them not to be replaced.  

The new buyers were so scared that of these pipes because of the inspector that we had to agree to take some money off of the selling price....or they would terminate the offer.

By this time, I had already found another place to live, same with my ex.  

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, it was a lot!! It was all of my banking, tax returns, w-2’s, investments, pay stubs, license, etc...I sent it all and then shredded it.

it's called being undressed financially.  it can either make you feel good about yourself, or put you in a panic. 

41 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

By what time do they have to respond? I’m strangely excited about this! Rarely get much budging on price with new construction, but every situation is different.