Christmas Movie All-Time Recommendations

NoHuddleKelly12

For some reason today I'm feeling holiday cheer. Hope you fellow TBDers are also. Keeping that rolling, what's your recommendation for best Christmas themed movies? My all-time fav would be "A Christmas Story" from 1983. Note--there was a sequel, and let's just say, hope you didn't have to pay anything to see that. 

A Christmas Story ë J. & C.'s Movie Reviews

• Thank you (+1) 1

I know it is schlocky but "It's a Wonderful Life" because there is a message in there.  Specifically, sometimes the best gift is just being alive and doing for others.  As far as something that is not preachy then "The Year without a Santa."  The one with Heat Miser and Cold Miser.  I just played the bit with their respective songs on youtube just the other day.  

• Like (+1) 6

24 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

For some reason today I'm feeling holiday cheer. Hope you fellow TBDers are also. Keeping that rolling, what's your recommendation for best Christmas themed movies? My all-time fav would be "A Christmas Story" from 1983. Note--there was a sequel, and let's just say, hope you didn't have to pay anything to see that. 

There was actually a "Sequel"  that involved the same characters, and Jean Sheppard narrating that took place in the summer. It wasn't as great as A Christmas Story, but was still pretty entertaining on its own merrit.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110168/

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I know it is schlocky but "It's a Wonderful Life" because there is a message in there.  Specifically, sometimes the best gift is just being alive and doing for others.  As far as something that is not preachy then "The Year without a Santa."  The one with Heat Miser and Cold Miser.  I just played the bit with their respective songs on youtube just the other day.  

it's meant a lot some years

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

There was actually a "Sequel"  that involved the same characters, and Jean Sheppard narrating that took place in the summer. It wasn't as great as A Christmas Story, but was still pretty entertaining on its own merrit.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110168/

Thanks for mentioning--I actually didn't know about this 1994 one. The sequel I was referring to is https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2281069/, from 2012, and didn't think was all that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Die Hard  (seriously - I love that movie)

After that? Home Alone or Home Alone 2.... stupid fun!

Home Alone is an excellent choice for light entertainment.  Can't believe that I forgot "A Charlie Brown Christmas" even though it was getting a little shop worn for me personally.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Thanks for mentioning--I actually didn't know about this 1994 one. The sequel I was referring to is https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2281069/, from 2012, and didn't think was all that. 

Yeah. The preview was enough for me. The movie is based on writings from Jean Sheppard, who was the writer and narrator for the original, and 1994 sequel. The recent sequel had nobody connected to the original, and was a straight to DVD money grab.

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Die Hard  (seriously - I love that movie)

After that? Home Alone or Home Alone 2.... stupid fun!

When my wife and I were dating, we had broken up for about a month. Our first real date after getting back together was going to see Home Alone with the Houston Symphony playing the score. I proposed while watching Home Alone 2 with a group of friends. I got up to use the bathroom, and when he turns the TV on, it went to a slideshow I made, then I came out in a full suit.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Yeah. The preview was enough for me. The movie is based on writings from Jean Sheppard, who was the writer and narrator for the original, and 1994 sequel. The recent sequel had nobody connected to the original, and was a straight to DVD money grab.

Yep--they grabbed my money when I picked it up from the Wal-Mart bin a couple years back...the nerve of playing on my nostalgic heart strings <sigh>. Gotta love the capitalistic spirit of it I guess 

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Yep--they grabbed my money when I picked it up from the Wal-Mart bin a couple years back...the nerve of playing on my nostalgic heart strings <sigh>. Gotta love the capitalistic spirit of it I guess 

Hey. I bought Caddyshack about 10 years ago in the $5 bin once. Got it home, and the pricetag was conveniently covering the "2" that was on the cover. 

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Santa%2BSlay.jpg&f=1

And two South Park episodes: Woodland Critter Christmas and Red Sleigh Down

I made the wife watch Woodland Critter Christmas a couple years ago. She still thinks I’m not right in the head for loving it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I made the wife watch Woodland Critter Christmas a couple years ago. She still thinks I’m not right in the head for loving it. 

Last year I was visiting Dad for Christmas or Thanksgiving and Comedy Central was running their typical South Park holiday marathon.  He walks into the middle of me watching Woodland Critter Christmas and at the end he tells me I watch some weird s**t :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

OMFG....Woodland Critter Christmas is the greatest. Parker & Stone at their best.  That and Charlie Brown are must sees during the season.

As for movies, there really aren’t that many good ones.  My favorites have been mentioned:

Christmas Story

Wonderful Life

Die Hard

Miracle on 34th St

15 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Know it's a TV show, but Charlie Brown's Christmas, strictly for the Vince Guaraldi soundtrack

CBs whole existence is people being mean to him and mocking him.

My Favorites in Order:

1.  National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

2.  Elf

3.  Home Alone

4.  A Christmas Story

5.  Scrooged

I do not consider Die Hard a Christmas movie as it really has nothing to do with the movie other than the reason for the party.

• Like (+1) 2