Beane Acknowledges QB "Mistake" by Not Getting Anderson Sooner

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

How would bringing in Derek Anderson improve the team? The mistake was not having good QBs on the roster at the start of the season

And who exactly is out there? You know how many teams are looking for great QBs? At least half the NFL teams! Great QBs and Wrs and OLinemen are not stocked somewhere magical to pick them off a shelf. Allen could be damn good as well.

And good on Beane to admit this. A QB coach could help too...

Foles is an anomaly but for a 2 win team, the 49s seem to always have good QB play. Coaching helps. No doubt Mahones is great, but man is he ever well surrounded on offense, from coaches to the OLine, stacked everywhere. Allen has performed on line with the other rookie QBs, surrounded with less talent, has had critical drops including at least one TD, yet so many "fans" want to vomit on his chances. SMH at those who would prefer to be "proven right that he is a bust" than rooting for him to be the QB of the future for the Bills.

Appreciate the admission but not the mistakes.  Had employees who were constantly apologizing and continually making additional mistakes.  Logic is a key factor here and the lack of it in trading McCarron BEFORE determining that Peterman was no longer an interception machine in regular season games says a lot. 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Gee ya think

While you're apologizing ask your boss Sean why Peterman wasn't cut long ago.  This Peterman saga is approaching Tebow level....

Tebow was abysmal but he didn’t look as out of place like Peterman does.

17 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Allen is one of the most physically gifted QB's in the league, but that has not translated to the field in any appreciable, sustainable way.

The QB play is marginally better when he's in there.

I'm simply stating that signing Anderson in the preseason would not have made a significant difference and it's way down the list of our problems on offense.

I'll be cheering for the PeterMAN on Sunday because I'm a Bills fan. I expect any Bills fan will do the same.

It's pretty easy to cheer for whoever the starting QB is on gameday while calling yourself a fan. That's status quo. It's harder reconciling your fanhood with the prospect of suffering through your franchise QB's growing pains. 

So the handling of the QB position for this year would have been fine if he had signed Derek Anderson at the beginning of the year? Anderson stinks. Hire him or someone else as a coach if you want Allen to have a mentor, why waste a spot on a guy who can't play? 

There should have been either another young QB or a guy they thought could be a long-term backup that could basically audition for the role this year. Having Derek Anderson start games is just throwing them away. They should be using these games during the rebuild so much more wisely. 

And that's not even touching on the fact that both of them felt and still feel that Peterman is a legit NFL starter/QB2 tweener. 

• Like (+1) 1

Gee ya think

While you're apologizing ask your boss Sean why Peterman wasn't cut long ago.  This Peterman saga is approaching Tebow level....

Tebow level? How is there any comparison? All Tebow did was take the Broncos to the playoffs, then BEAT the vaunted Steelers in said playoff game, before losing to the GOAT at New England. Elway then decides to part ways with him for the sake of bringing in 1st ballot HOFer Manning. If anything, Tebow has a stronger argument that he's usually cut too soon, not kept around too long. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

This is both refreshing and encouraging to read.  He could have easily bullshitted or simply stayed silent.  I'm glad to see this.

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

Unfair to make the statement "unlike McD".  He is not the GM and should defer any comment on this to Beane. 

I think it's the GMs job to admit to mistakes like that, at least in the public light. A coach needs to always have his player's back. Whether that player is Shady McCoy, or Nathan Peterman. I think that's at least part of why McD gives such vague answers. Was starting Peterman over Allen a mistake? Yeah. But he's not gonna say anything that could possibly be construed as putting Peterman down. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Tebow level? How is there any comparison? All Tebow did was take the Broncos to the playoffs, then BEAT the vaunted Steelers in said playoff game, before losing to the GOAT at New England. Elway then decides to part ways with him for the sake of bringing in 1st ballot HOFer Manning. If anything, Tebow has a stronger argument that he's usually cut too soon, not kept around too long. 

I will agree that Tebow had a good game vs. Pittsburgh.  But he had absolutely nothing to do with the Broncos being in the playoffs.  Zero.  Tebow and Peterman are neck and neck for the worst ever in the NFL.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is both refreshing and encouraging to read.  He could have easily bullshitted or simply stayed silent.  I'm glad to see this.

I disagree.

It confirms his competence level, which is low. 

Though I hardly think his errors were made in a  vacuum.  Can't believe McD wasn't on board with all of it, and he may in fact have ordered it.

Gee ya think

Hey, I threw the game winning touchdown in a PLAYOFF GAME! Who is this Peterman you speak of. Prays God!!

Sincerely,

Tim Tebow

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Im wondering who they didn't want to get rid of for a third QB? 

They couldve cut anyone on offense besides Shady, Allen, Dawkins, and maybe Zay for Anderson. 

Im guessing he is talking about guys like Wyatt Teller, Conor McDermott, Siran Neal, Ray Ray...guys he thinks have high potential but aren't dressing on game days because they aren't ready to play, but would be claimed if waived. 

The mistake was probably keep guys like Khari Lee and Robert Foster. Those guys were useless and were eventually waived anyways. A blocking tight end who can't block and a fast receiver who can't catch. Ramon Humber sucks too. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

They messed up by thinking that AJ McCarron would be a good bridge QB until Allen was ready. 

McCarron and Peterman as your “experienced” guys wasn’t a smart move.

Plenty of people on this forum pointed that out in August.  What kind of “professional” team builders would make that choice?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Beane Takes Accountability for QB 'mistake'

Buffalo general manager Brandon Beane, unlike McDermott, admitted to the Buffalo News this week that he made mistakes in regard to the quarterback position.

Beane traded away AJ McCarron to the Oakland Raiders after Peterman beat him out for the starting job. Beane then waited until October to sign another veteran option until in Anderson. The GM called it like he saw it, and he didn’t even need to watch the tape to make his analysis.

“In hindsight, I made a mistake. I should have got Derek here as quick as possible, once we let AJ go,” Beane said. “We (traded McCarron) right as we’re putting that roster together, the final 53, and you’re trying to protect as many guys as you can. Some guys are not going to help you immediately at the beginning of the year. They’re young players that aren’t necessarily ready to play, but there is a talent there and you feel like someone else would take them from you if you exposed them. So you’re weighing that balance of who you can let go. It’s probably close to split, I don’t know the numbers this year, but in the past of teams that keep two quarterbacks and teams that keep three. So we’re trying to wait a week or two in to get Derek. We had a couple injuries, but again, I erred. I shouldn’t have worried about it. I should have just got him here. I’m glad I got him here when I did, but at the same time, I’m mad at myself that I didn’t get him here immediately.”

Maybe, just maybe, this is because it is not McDermott's responsibility to sign the personnel and he didn't want to throw his GM under the bus? 

Not saying you are a poster that does this, but it amazes me how so many people here blame personnel issues on McDermott when it is clearly Beane's responsibility.  McD offers input, but Beane goes after and signs the players / drafts them.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

What else is he going to say? What's obvious is obvious. He would look even more foolish if he tried to defend his decision of waiting to bring in another qb when the outcome clearly hurt the team. If he would have gambled by not addressing another position that would have been understandable because you can internally fill in for a void. But with the qb position if the backup issue is not addressed, especially when your OL is dangerously porous, then that gamble is an act of irresponsibility.

To his credit it is refreshing that a person in his position is willing to be candid and not give a non-sensical robotic response.  

He really does not have to admit mistakes....you know that right?

38 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I disagree.

Shocker!

On a separate thought, love that fans continually call for "accountability", the guy admits his mistake and it's STILL not enough.  "Why didn't he throw himself into the wood chipper!?!"

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Beane Takes Accountability for QB 'mistake'

Buffalo general manager Brandon Beane, unlike McDermott, admitted to the Buffalo News this week that he made mistakes in regard to the quarterback position.

Beane traded away AJ McCarron to the Oakland Raiders after Peterman beat him out for the starting job. Beane then waited until October to sign another veteran option until in Anderson. The GM called it like he saw it, and he didn’t even need to watch the tape to make his analysis.

“In hindsight, I made a mistake. I should have got Derek here as quick as possible, once we let AJ go,” Beane said. “We (traded McCarron) right as we’re putting that roster together, the final 53, and you’re trying to protect as many guys as you can. Some guys are not going to help you immediately at the beginning of the year. They’re young players that aren’t necessarily ready to play, but there is a talent there and you feel like someone else would take them from you if you exposed them. So you’re weighing that balance of who you can let go. It’s probably close to split, I don’t know the numbers this year, but in the past of teams that keep two quarterbacks and teams that keep three. So we’re trying to wait a week or two in to get Derek. We had a couple injuries, but again, I erred. I shouldn’t have worried about it. I should have just got him here. I’m glad I got him here when I did, but at the same time, I’m mad at myself that I didn’t get him here immediately.”

Real men own their mistakes, learn from them, and move on never to repeat them. Good for you Brandon. 

Edited by MILFHUNTER#518