Brian Dabol's Offense

Sadly there are many fans here parroting some tired cliche of Dabol is using an outdated offense unsuitable for "TODAY'S" NFL . Along with he can't call an offense all the while willingly ignoring the sad performance of the offensive players themselves, with missed throws , dropped balls and missed assignments, not to mention new players getting used to each other.

For those have forgotten so quickly , Dabol is running the same offense as the Patriots, which as we all know just can't work in the NFL. So just to refresh your memories read the following.

"Over the next few months, we are going to spotlight Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll’s offense. Daboll entered the NFL in 2000 with the New England Patriots, and over the course of the next 16 seasons, he held several positions, including Defensive Assistant, Wide Receivers Coach, Tight Ends Coach, Quarterbacks Coach, and Offensive Coordinator. When the opportunity arose to jump to the college ranks at Alabama, Daboll seized it. As the offensive coordinator and QB coach at Alabama he got to learn from one of the best organizational managers, but it also gave Daboll a chance to work with college talent and to incorporate some of the college concepts into his playbook. This could be extremely useful, as more and more of those concepts are seeping into NFL playbooks nowadays."

https://www.cover1.net/inside-the-playbook-the-erhardt-perkins-play-structure-and-terminology/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yup, the guy, Joe Marino from Draft Network, having done a lot of analysis on Daboll's offense, says he likes a lot of what he sees.

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/10-31-joe-marino-draft-network-schopp-bulldog

Thanks to FadingPain's thread for the link. Around 1:38 is the bit about Daboll.

Marino: "What I really like about Brian Daboll's offense is that it schemes a lot of throws for Josh Allen or whoever his quarterback is. And they can use a lot of different formations, use a lot of personnel packages, but run a lot of similar route concepts out of them that create space to make throws and so ... you've seen a lot of that earlier in the season with some of the wheel routes that they were doing and a lot of different route combinations that are designed to create that space. So we've talked a lot about the Bills supporting cast and how they don't necessarily have great receivers that are going to create that separation, but when you can use leverage and use route combinations to find that space, you just need a quarterback to read it and rip it. It creates some easy throws. That's one of the things that I like about it. And then you saw this past weekend in the New England game - and it was really an indication that you know Buffalo knows where it is on offense, with using all the different formations and packages, the Wildcat and all those different variations. It really speaks to just that Buffalo is undermanned. It's not a fair fight when Buffalo takes the field offensively, but I do think that Brian Daboll does his best to get the most out of his talent. And I just don't know that anyone else would do a better job with this personnel."

There's more but that's a good introduction to it.

It's really hard to separate bad planning from bad execution sometimes. And this offense does not have a lot of talent to work with. I've got no problem if they part ways with Daboll after the season. But I wouldn't be surprised or have any problems with it if they keep him. They know a lot more about what plays were called, what defenses they should be called against, and whether it was a bad plan or the players not managing to execute.

It's a literal glitch in the Human OS to want to quickly find a scapegoat and attach blame. Feels better. What works better, though, is careful grinding analysis of the problem and cold dispassionate decision-making.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

I love this offense.   Certainly has worked for the Patriots for 15+ years. 

Doesn’t look like Patriots offense don’t see a lot of crossing patterns and picks to get receivers free or OL “holding” their blocks

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You need 8 yards for a first down....run 5 yard routes.  IF we had WRs that could gain separation and run after the catch maybe this would work at times.  He does this constantly.

Edited by Azucho98

Some of us are aware that Daboll brought the NE playbook with him to Buffalo and he has been using it to a degree. I also believe that Daboll was brought in to improve the downfield passing scheme by using that playbook.

What a lot of Bills fans don't get is that it makes a world of difference as to who is calling the offensive plays! This is so important because Josh McDaniel's runs that NE offense they way it has always been run with Brady. That is to MOVE THE CHAINS with either runs or short throws to the RBs/TE first by getting some first downs as this builds confidence and allows the QB to get into a rhythm. It also tests the defense to see what works and what doesn't. 

Look at the Patriots receiving leaders as it's mostly the TE in Gronk and the RB in James White and once the chains are moving. So the opposing defense is focused on stopping the shorter passes he looks deeper to the wideouts and they see more receptions. This is a general game plan, although things change week to week depending on the opponent. 

The problem with Buffalo is that for the first 7 weeks Daboll has been calling for the deeper passes without setting up the run game/short passing game first to move the chains. What problems occur with this is that neither Nathan Peterman nor Josh Allen know how to read a defense and set protections to be able to throw those deep passes. These young QBs can't read past the first or second read and this results in sacks, INTs or throw aways. 

The first few games when the Bills got behind in points fast then Daboll went to that deeper passing scheme and it didn't work so well because its inexperienced QBs were attempting to run it. What I'm getting at is Daboll didn't setup his offense to help those inexperienced QBs develop and progress as it put the entire weight of carrying the offense on their shoulders and they weren't ready for it. 

Build the run game even if it doesn't work right away as you have one of the very best RBs in the league in LeSean McCoy. For the first five weeks of the season Josh Allen was the leading rusher for the Bills. McCoy wasn't even being used very much each week, mostly 22 runs each game, 30 plus passes.

Build a short, quick passing scheme along with that run game to allow the offense to move the chains. Last year McCoy was the teams leading receiver and this year he has only 19 receptions in 8 games. 

That vaunted Bills run game that they had the last few years in being #1 is now gone mostly because they don't even attempt to pound the ball. More passes called then run plays.

Bottom line here is that Daboll's offense might work better if he had a more experience veteran QB that wasn't inexperienced or just off the street a few weeks. Then again, I kinda doubt it would because you need a semblance of a working run game to keep defenses honest and wondering if it's going to be run or pass. 

Look how bad this offense is...32nd in passing yards, 32nd in passing TDs. That once #1 in the NFL Buffalo Bills run game is now #23 in yards. I'm kinda surprised McD hasn't made a change at OC.

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

For those have forgotten so quickly , Dabol is running the same offense as the Patriots.

This is exactly what the problem is. 

This is exactly why fans don't like Daboll.

This is exactly why Daboll has failed everywhere he's gone in the NFL, outside of New England.

There is one reason - and only one reason - the Patriots offense is successful for the Patriots.  Running that offense on a team that doesn't have a QB of Brady's caliber is stupid.  Running that offense with the QBs on the Bills' roster is nothing short of asinine.

He was a bad hire.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

This is exactly why Daboll has failed everywhere he's gone in the NFL, outside of New England.

There is one reason - and only one reason - the Patriots offense is successful for the Patriots.  Running that offense on a team that doesn't have a QB of Brady's caliber is stupid.  Running that offense with the QBs on the Bills' roster is nothing short of asinine.

He was a bad hire.

I agree with this.  

There's nothing similar about our personnel that would suggest that could happen.  

Even withing the confines of this offense Daboll's play calling at critical moments has been horrendous - that's what separates the great OC's and the average ones.  Jason Witten is announcing "now they're going to try and run to the right" , we do, then he's laughing saying that's not going to work.  

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, peterpan said:

I really like what I e seen from the schemes.  We don't have a QB who belongs in the league is the main problem.  Does t help that the rest of the team stinks too, but Daboll is not the problem. 

I think you're wrong. I think he is the biggest problem. Yes, the offensive line talent is lacking. Yes, the receiver talent is lacking. The thing is the offensive coordinator should be able to take these things into consideration and compensate. From what I've read here that Hapless Bills fan has posted is that in the first 5 games the Bills run game was far too complex and asking far to much from the current talent on hand.

Bill Parcells would look over the weekly offensive game plan and throw out all but about 25 plays. This is how it should be setup for inexperienced  QBs and the rookie. Pound the ball and move the chains by running. Once you have established that run game then you can pick and choose the passes you want as long as they are not complex. Running the ball works and it works even better if you have an elite QB. 

The Buffalo Bills don't have an elite QB so they should be focused on making what they do have work. Get McCoy the ball, running, passing. Forget the deep passing game and just focus on quick short passes to move the chains all the way down the field to the end zone...to score! 

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

I really like what I e seen from the schemes.  We don't have a QB who belongs in the league is the main problem.  Does t help that the rest of the team stinks too, but Daboll is not the problem. 

A good coach adjusts to his team's strengths.  It's like a pitcher who's made his living blowing batters away with a high 100 MPH fastball.  As he ages and his fastball tops out at 93 MPH.  If he's stupid, he'll continue to try to blow batters away ... and he'll give up a lot of home runs.  That's arrogance.  If he's smart, he'll learn another pitch and rely more on location with the fastball.

Daboll is arrogant and unwilling to adjust.  We saw that with Rex Ryan and he's (finally) out of the league.  Daboll's headed in the same direction for the same reason.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe that Brian Daboll's playbook is as thick as any OC in the NFL.  Moreover, it's not set in stone.  He added plays for Derek Anderson because Anderson liked and was comfortable with them.  In a given game, he only uses a portion of it, based on what his QBs are comfortable doing, and what he thinks has the best chance of working.  He's not infallible.  It could be tt errors in judgment as well as the limitations of his players may make him look ineffective and boring, but I don't think it is an issue of a lack of creativity.

• Like (+1) 1

The thing I don't understand Is why do people either completely blame it on the lack of talent, or completely blame it on Daboll?

In my opinion it is BOTH. The talent sucks, but at the same time Daboll has been awful as well.

Not a fan of his predictable play calling, throwing it on 3rd and shorts when they have Derek Anderson as their QB, running it on 2nd and longs into a stacked box, and his game planning as well. (I still don't understand how he thought running east/west against a Bills Belichick defence was a good strategy)

It does not have to be one or the other. It is very possible and actually even very probable that the talent and the OC is killing them at the same time.

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

With the sheer lack of talent on offense, it is difficult to fairly evaluate the OC's skills or philosophy at this time. Dabol deserves some time to merit a fair evaluation.

This seems obvious, but needs to be said.

I don’t think we’ve really even seen Daboll’s offense.  We’ve seen the offense he calls to try to maximize the results from our limitations.  

3 minutes ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

huh??  Sorry about taking one little bit of your post and harping on it but I'm not sure you're allowed to say these two statements in the same sentence

What is wrong with what I said?

You have Derek Anderson as your QB, with absolutely no weapons on the outside.

Why would you put it in Anderson’s hands?

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I think you're wrong. I think he is the biggest problem. Yes, the offensive line talent is lacking. Yes, the receiver talent is lacking. The thing is the offensive coordinator should be able to take these things into consideration and compensate. From what I've read here that Hapless Bills fan has posted is that in the first 5 games the Bills run game was far too complex and asking far to much from the current talent on hand.

Bill Parcells would look over the weekly offensive game plan and throw out all but about 25 plays. This is how it should be setup for inexperienced  QBs and the rookie. Pound the ball and move the chains by running. Once you have established that run game then you can pick and choose the passes you want as long as they are not complex. Running the ball works and it works even better if you have an elite QB. 

The Buffalo Bills don't have an elite QB so they should be focused on making what they do have work. Get McCoy the ball, running, passing. Forget the deep passing game and just focus on quick short passes to move the chains all the way down the field to the end zone...to score! 

I've found the playcalling to be pretty solid myself.  At no point this season have i found myself saying "wtf" to a set of play calls. Dennison elicited that from me many times. I think that the calls generally make sense. The problem has been the players, specifically those operating the QB position.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

What is wrong with what I said?

You have Derek Anderson as your QB, with absolutely no weapons on the outside.

Why would you put it in Anderson’s hands?

Just not sure you can say you don't like predictable playcalling and immediately say that you hate passing the ball on 3rd and short....  Seems like a bit of an oxymoron

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

A good coach adjusts to his team's strengths.  It's like a pitcher who's made his living blowing batters away with a high 100 MPH fastball.  As he ages and his fastball tops out at 93 MPH.  If he's stupid, he'll continue to try to blow batters away ... and he'll give up a lot of home runs.  That's arrogance.  If he's smart, he'll learn another pitch and rely more on location with the fastball.

Daboll is arrogant and unwilling to adjust.  We saw that with Rex Ryan and he's (finally) out of the league.  Daboll's headed in the same direction for the same reason.

The offense has no strengths, especially when you consider that keying on a good RB is about the easiest thing in the world to do if you have no fear of either the QB, the receivers, or the pass blocking ability of the line. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just not sure you can say you don't like predictable playcalling and immediately say that you hate passing the ball on 3rd and short....  Seems like a bit of an oxymoron

I don’t really get your point to be honest .

Most teams in the NFL actually pass on 3rd and 2s and 3s the majority of the time to begin with.

And “ predictable” can be varied in many ways. When he lines up the Bills in shotgun on 3rd and shorts, every single person knows he is going to pass. At least I do anyways. If you’re going to pass, at least show the threat of a run to keep the defence honest.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

They sure do when they have some.  This team doesn't have strengths on offense.  When your OL is piss poor at run and pass blocking and you have WR's that do not get a lot of separation, and when you have a qb that is trying to learn the game, then you get exactly what we see.  Something that looks putrid but it actually has good designs and schematics.

10 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I don’t really get your point to be honest .

Most teams in the NFL actually pass on 3rd and 2s and 3s the majority of the time to begin with.

And “ predictable” can be varied in many ways. When he lines up the Bills in shotgun on 3rd and shorts, every single person knows he is going to pass. At least I do anyways. If you’re going to pass, at least show the threat of a run to keep the defence honest.

I'm not sure I buy it that most teams pass on 3rd and shorts in the NFL, but I can't say I have looked up the stats on this.  I will agree with the fact that putting them in the shotgun on 3rd and short isn't a great idea, have some mystery to it.  But also, the Bills are not most teams talent wise, just from watching the games (I haven't looked up the stats, sorry) I would have to guess that we normally run it on 3rd and short, so some unpredictability mixed in there by throwing on 3rd and short is a good thing and helps to break trends the teams may have seen in film study.

I'm not sure I buy it that most teams pass on 3rd and shorts in the NFL, but I can't say I have looked up the stats on this.  I will agree with the fact that putting them in the shotgun on 3rd and short isn't a great idea, have some mystery to it.  But also, the Bills are not most teams talent wise, just from watching the games (I haven't looked up the stats, sorry) I would have to guess that we normally run it on 3rd and short, so some unpredictability mixed in there by throwing on 3rd and short is a good thing and helps to break trends the teams may have seen in film study.

Fair points. I would prefer them running on 3rd and shorts personally just because they have the worst passing game in the NFL.

But like I said. If you are going to throw, at least show the threat of the run. It’s way too predictable in that sense

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup, the guy, Joe Marino from Draft Network, having done a lot of analysis on Daboll's offense, says he likes a lot of what he sees.

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/10-31-joe-marino-draft-network-schopp-bulldog

Thanks to FadingPain's thread for the link. Around 1:38 is the bit about Daboll.

Marino: "What I really like about Brian Daboll's offense is that it schemes a lot of throws for Josh Allen or whoever his quarterback is. And they can use a lot of different formations, use a lot of personnel packages, but run a lot of similar route concepts out of them that create space to make throws and so ... you've seen a lot of that earlier in the season with some of the wheel routes that they were doing and a lot of different route combinations that are designed to create that space. So we've talked a lot about the Bills supporting cast and how they don't necessarily have great receivers that are going to create that separation, but when you can use leverage and use route combinations to find that space, you just need a quarterback to read it and rip it. It creates some easy throws. That's one of the things that I like about it. And then you saw this past weekend in the New England game - and it was really an indication that you know Buffalo knows where it is on offense, with using all the different formations and packages, the Wildcat and all those different variations. It really speaks to just that Buffalo is undermanned. It's not a fair fight when Buffalo takes the field offensively, but I do think that Brian Daboll does his best to get the most out of his talent. And I just don't know that anyone else would do a better job with this personnel."

There's more but that's a good introduction to it.

It's really hard to separate bad planning from bad execution sometimes. And this offense does not have a lot of talent to work with. I've got no problem if they part ways with Daboll after the season. But I wouldn't be surprised or have any problems with it if they keep him. They know a lot more about what plays were called, what defenses they should be called against, and whether it was a bad plan or the players not managing to execute.

It's a literal glitch in the Human OS to want to quickly find a scapegoat and attach blame. Feels better. What works better, though, is careful grinding analysis of the problem and cold dispassionate decision-making.

This is all good but I will not be happy if he is replaced because starting over will just be another setback as the players will have learn yet again another offense. We just need to get quality players in here.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

He was a bad hire.

Wrong, the scheme is fine it's obvious we need better players.

5 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

With the sheer lack of talent on offense, it is difficult to fairly evaluate the OC's skills or philosophy at this time. Dabol deserves some time to merit a fair evaluation.

Well then maybe Daboll needs to walk into Mcdermott's office and say draft me some damn offensive players. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

This is all good but I will not be happy if he is replaced because starting over will just be another setback as the players will have learn yet again another offense. We just need to get quality players in here.

Wrong, the scheme is fine it's obvious we need better players.

It's obvious we need better players.  It's also obvious the scheme doesn't make sense for the current players.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

He is compensating.  Trick plays from texhmo super bowl was a TD.  After the good punt return he schemed a play with a wr running free for an easy TD. We fumbled the snap.  The schemes are.good people are open.  We can't block throw run or even complete a snap

Just now, Gugny said:

It's obvious we need better players.  It's also obvious the scheme doesn't make sense for the current players.

And what scheme do you think would actually work these players ? West coast offense didn't " work " either . So would a third scheme be any better ?

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

And what scheme do you think would actually work these players ? West coast offense didn't " work " either . So would a third scheme be any better ?

The run pass ratio is ridiculous in the Bills' losses.  Not coincidentally, the run pass ratio is quite different in the Bills' wins.

He likes the pass too much.  He needs to realize that Tom Brady isn't the QB here.

His game plans in every loss have been horrible and, for lack of a better term, just plain stupid.

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

While I certainly appreciated the rest of the post - this is likely the most true statement I've read since the season began in relation to this board.

When things are as bad as we've witnessed thus far, we have an immediate need to assign blame because it makes the issues creating the problem "known," or at least it makes us feel like they are known, despite logic often pointing in the other direction, or toward the direction of unknown. Believing that you "know" what the exact issues are provides a sense of comfort because it makes the problem manageable and ultimately, solvable. How many posters on here actually know the exact issues, remains to be seen - I know I'm certainly not one of them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Fair points. I would prefer them running on 3rd and shorts personally just because they have the worst passing game in the NFL.

But like I said. If you are going to throw, at least show the threat of the run. It’s way too predictable in that sense

When you take the Quarterback runs out (which are not currently an option with Josh injured) they have the 3rd worst running game too.  There are no strengths on this offense - that is the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

The run pass ratio is ridiculous in the Bills' losses.  Not coincidentally, the run pass ratio is quite different in the Bills' wins.

He likes the pass too much.  He needs to realize that Tom Brady isn't the QB here.

His game plans in every loss have been horrible and, for lack of a better term, just plain stupid.

yeah ok, we run alot, you're just pissed and want a scapgoat, McVay couldn't make these players look good.