Dion Dawkins

Rigotz

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Back to LG NOW?  

Two seasons in that genie is out of the bottle........he and his agent will not go for that.

You'd better be sure you aren't going to want to upgrade if you move a young player to a high dollar $ position.

If they play well and you move them you are messing with their money.

Simple

he plays well at lg you pay him like a elite lg

32 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Back to LG NOW?  

Two seasons in that genie is out of the bottle........he and his agent will not go for that.

You'd better be sure you aren't going to want to upgrade if you move a young player to a high dollar $ position.

If they play well and you move them you are messing with their money.

IDK man some elite guards have cleared 10 Mil a year lately. He actually could make a little more if turns out to be a elite LG.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Dawkins would be better with Richie next to him and even better if he were on the right side and Cordy were playing left tackle. 

P.S. I never saw Cordy beaten the way I have seen Dion beaten sometimes.  He seems like a great kid but it is clear that he misses Richie next to him.

P.P.S. This is another example of the process guys mismanaging a position group.

Yes because they planned to have 2 pro bowl caliber players off the team from the previous year inside...SMFH

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yes because they planned to have 2 pro bowl caliber players off the team from the previous year inside...SMFH

There was no reason to initiate a pay cut with one of our few pro bowl players.  That was stupid and unnecessary.

The Bills found out that Eric Wood's career was over during literally the first week of the off season.  It is not like they did not have time to engage the "process" to replace him adequately.

In the end, McBeane outsmarted themselves.

41 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

A good guard could have the same effect (boosting LG and LT play) and it won't completely ruin any chance we have or resigning DD. 

While it might give him a boost, I doubt the cumulative impact would be greater than having a better LT than him and DD playing G.  I believe he will be better at G than anyone you draft next season.  You can also afford to pay him like a LT for a few year while you have a rookie playing LT under a better contract. It gets us through the window while having Allen on his rookie contract.

53 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That was a big miss on Beane's part, IMO.    The better alternative would have been to include a 2019 draft pick in the package needed to move up for the QB.   He would then have the franchise QB and his LT position locked down, allowing Dawkins to fill another spot on the O-line.

Instead, he went the high wire route and fell off.     He's still falling and we haven't heard the splash yet, either...

Why do you assume that in a deal to move up that we would have come away with a LT if we gave up a first round pick this year? As it turned out he got (hopefully) his franchise qb and also a talented MLB who will be the center piece to our defense. This year we will have all our picks and will be drafting from a high position. I'm more than satisfied with how last year's draft transpired and the position he placed this franchise for next year's draft 

Edited by JohnC

4 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

While it might give him a boost, I doubt the cumulative impact would be greater than having a better LT than him and DD playing G.  I believe he will be better at G than anyone you draft next season.  You can also afford to pay him like a LT for a few year while you have a rookie playing LT under a better contract. It gets us through the window while having Allen on his rookie contract.

Interesting hypothesis, but I don't really agree.  By kicking him inside you have a potential to have 2 subpar starters if you draft a LT vs an LG, because none of us know how he'd perform at guard, and you never know if the rook is going to pan out.  Plus, you can draft a good LG in a lower round than you can a good LT. 

Don't mess with a good thing.  Dawkins is doing well and is only growing.  

Moving him to guard or right tackle is not a great idea.  He is good enough to play left tackle, and so he will want to play left tackle.  He will not want the demotion of being moved to guard or right tackle.  That'll be a big issue come time to resign him, and I assume no one wants this to end with him walking away or him getting overpaid as a guard or right tackle.  

Besides, moving guys around the line is not as easy as everyone thinks.  For example, Henderson was a terrible right tackle, but a mucccch better left tackle.  That was where he spent his whole life, that is where he was comfortable, and he could never get used to switching sides.  

He’s an ok LT.  If he can be an all pro guard, draft a tackle and move him. Problem being, he’s probably going to be pissed.  If we don’t move him to guard, moving him to RT and getting a stud LT would be a nice alternative.  We need 3-4 new starters on the OL next season.  Dawkins being the only one I want to keep as a starter.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

He’s an ok LT.  If he can be an all pro guard, draft a tackle and move him. Problem being, he’s probably going to be pissed.  If we don’t move him to guard, moving him to RT and getting a stud LT would be a nice alternative.  We need 3-4 new starters on the OL next season.  Dawkins being the only one I want to keep as a starter.  

What makes you think he would be able to make that switch? 

I really like Dion Dawkins, one of my favourite players on this team. Athletic, aggressive and nasty. But he hasn’t looked great this year. Maybe the poor OL coaching and constant change at QB and bad QBs at that. I believe he will be a pro bowler eventually.

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Dawkins would be better with Richie next to him and even better if he were on the right side and Cordy were playing left tackle. 

P.S. I never saw Cordy beaten the way I have seen Dion beaten sometimes.  He seems like a great kid but it is clear that he misses Richie next to him.

P.P.S. This is another example of the process guys mismanaging a position group.

How was McBeane supposed to know that Woods would be forced to retire and Richie would go off the deep end?

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Because Cordy Glenn was a better LT  then Dion Dawkins is.......

You just didnt see Cordy get beat.....Dawkins does at times.   This does not mean that Deon cannot play LT...he can....but if we can find a guy who can play LT for us Dion probably has all pro potential as a LG (which is woeful for us right now)

...STILL don't understand the rush for McBeaned to dump him......sure he was coming off an injury, but it didn't stop him from signing Murphy and Halftime Vontae, right?.....he has started all seven for the Bengals and Dalton has only been sacked 14 times......didn't realize our rock solid line made him expendable.......

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...STILL don't understand the rush for McBeaned to dump him......sure he was coming off an injury, but it didn't stop him from signing Murphy and Halftime Vontae, right?.....he has started all seven for the Bengals and Dalton has only been sacked 14 times......didn't realize our rock solid line made him expendable.......

I think it was like 2 years of injury wasnt it?

I still didnt want to see him go