Get Foles, WR via FA, Draft lineman

BigSky

The way NFL teams are starting to look like college offense's with all the crazy rule changes Foles might be able to have a Rich Gannon type end to his career. All Foles did was pass the football in college, if I can remember correctly he is #1 in  PAC 10/12 in pass attempts, completions, completion% and passing yards in 2010 and 2011. 

We could have a very very good and young defense for the next few years. We need to do whatever we can to get another QB in here. If Allen beats out Foles for the starting job next season then it's time to start getting excited.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Tyrod would've never put up enough offense to get the Eagles to the SB. Foles got hot and made some incredible passes in the playoffs and SB. If it was Tom Brady vs Tyrod Taylor in the SB I would bet so much money on that game. I rewatched that SB about 5 times, without Foles getting hot and passing the football like he did the Patriots win that game easily.

The system made him throw dimes all over the field like 2 weeks prior in the NFC championship game when he shredded the best D in football. He'd be a phenomenal mentor for Allen to help him step his game up.  Right now Allen's flat out handed the job watching scrubs for competition. 

I was honestly hoping today we would have traded McCoy for Foles.

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

Sign OL and draft WRs 

Based on the draft talent I think that this is how it needs to happen as well. I’d sign Saffold and James (and maybe another). There aren’t FA WR so that’s not an option. You need to draft there.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I don’t understand why folks keep bringing up wanting to get Foles. He has clearly stated routinely that he’ll retire if the Eagles trade him. He’s in his last spot of his career with a coach he admires.

Must be that some people only casually follow the NFL..

He hasn’t “clearly stated” anything of the sort. He stated he contemplated retirement a couple years back, and he intends to be a pastor after football... Besides that, the fact that he re-worked his contract after his big post season/Super Bowl giving him the option to opt out in the upcoming offseason... because he is so steadfast in retiring in green, sitting behind Wentz and not maximizing his value while he can...

Last spot of of his career? He’s 29. Guy could start the next 10 years+ (if he proves capable as a starter) and make $200+ million still.

Edited by ThunderGun

3 hours ago, BigSky said:

Pretty obvious. I"ll take the a guy who beat the Patriots in the biggest game of the year any day. How many QBs have won a super bowl in the last 15 years? How many have beat Brady? Would you rather have another ex Panther or Super Bowl winning QB mentor Allen?

This “Mentoring“ myth is getting way out of hand. AJ did not come here to mentor. If the bills were to actually get  Foles it would not be to mentor!    He would come here to be the starting quarterback!  Nothing more! True mentors in this context are rare. Besides 

Mcnown on the Jets, who probably wants to be a coach, they are quite rare.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

And that was 15 seasons ago.  The NFL has changed significantly since.  You got to let your rookie take his lumps...He will be much better next year.

BS Teams are realizing how easy it is to ruin rookie QBs again. Mahomes says the best thing that ever happened to him was to sit behind Smith and learn. Anybody who can't see Allen was overwhelmed and losing confidence clearly doesn't understand the game.

6 hours ago, BigSky said:

Not talking about other rookie QBs. Talking about Allen. His passes are inaccurate even when he has lots of time. There is a reason his percentage was so low in college. Should have been a 3rd to 5th round pick project QB. Hope I'm wrong but his passes are scary. Great kid just like EJ. Inaccurate just like EJ. Hope he can be taught how to throw accurate passes but I doubt it.       It's a shame to waste such a good D. Lets get a QB who can win some games next year while Allen works on his accuracy

I am confused. Are you interested in discussing realistic alternatives or just want to beat up on Allen ? Repeatedly posters are arguing your points and you keep gravitating back to "yea but Allen was bad at Wyoming and will never be any good". Stop with the charade and just state what you really want to say.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Based on the draft talent I think that this is how it needs to happen as well. I’d sign Saffold and James (and maybe another). There aren’t FA WR so that’s not an option. You need to draft there.

Problem is that there is a general shortage of quality OL in the league. We may have to draft those too unless one happens to be available in FA at a position of need. I think we, at a minimum need to draft a Center as he will develop chemistry with Allen and that is good for the long term success of Allen and the O in general 

13 hours ago, BigSky said:

This year is a bust. I would get Foles via FA next year and let Allen learn behind him for however long it takes. Rogers sat behind Favre for several years before starting and it worked great. BTW NOT saying Foles is as good as Farve but he’s a hell of a lot better than any other veteran QB who will be available. Get a decent WR via FA and find another in the draft. Draft the best lineman available with our first pick and try to find a decent vet as well. Obviously need to fill some other holes as well but that’s how I would start as GM. 

Screenshot_20181030-205938.png

13 hours ago, BigSky said:

This year is a bust. I would get Foles via FA next year and let Allen learn behind him for however long it takes. Rogers sat behind Favre for several years before starting and it worked great. BTW NOT saying Foles is as good as Farve but he’s a hell of a lot better than any other veteran QB who will be available. Get a decent WR via FA and find another in the draft. Draft the best lineman available with our first pick and try to find a decent vet as well. Obviously need to fill some other holes as well but that’s how I would start as GM. 

Foles beat *NE on the biggest stage.  He put that team on his back at times.  We have no ground to stand on criticizing any qb after what we went through the first half of the year.

Edited by thunderingsquid
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

Sign OL and draft WRs 

This.   If Dawkins is your LT I dont think you draft a C, G or RT in the top 5 of the draft.   The talent at skill positions outside of Shady is a dumpster fire.   I think we have to be at the bottom choice of any FA WR thinking about his future.   They want their stats     Zay is the only receiver I see as any part of the future of this team.    Clay looks hobbled out there, I would eat his 4.5 million hit to save his 4.5 million  in 19..    The other TEs are garbage.   This team needs a huge upgrade in speed, and athleticism at WR and TE.    This aint your daddys NFL, need to score points.    For our situation I think upgrading the line in FA and drafting the skill positions is the way to go.

And I would use one of those 4ths on backup QB,  we cant be in this situation again, its not fair to the rest of the team.

Edited by billsfan714

LOL. Have you looked at the list of FA WR's? There's nothing there. If we want a WR, we'll have to make a trade during the off season or nail it in the draft. And have you seen Foles earlier this year? Behind THIS o-line? LOL!!!

This is a HORRIBLE plan. If the Bills were smart, they should've traded Shady for a 3rd and I would've made a play for Golden Tate or Demaryius Thomas for a 3rd/4th rounder. Pick up some VETERAN offensive linemen in the offseason. Sure we can draft linemen but we need EXPERIENCE to help Josh Allen right now. A VETERAN Center and veteran help on the outside that he can feel secure around. A VETERAN line that can show Allen what THEY see and help him in reading the defense. Teach him what the o-line sees and what they expect the unit to do. Communication is going to be SO key for him next year. This is something rookie o-lineman won't be able to help him out with. 

Pick up a VETERAN FA QB like Matt Cassel, Josh McCown, or Ryan Fitzpatrick. We have enough youth on the o-line but we need PROVEN help right now for Allen. Draft a WR, RB, and CB EARLY in next year's draft. I know we're trying to build through the draft but we can't rely on a bunch of first year players to figure things out on their own. There needs to be some balance where veterans can help the young ones grow. If we continue down this path of playing only unproven rookies, this team's going nowhere and these young players won't develop. 

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83
  • Like (+1) 1

Chris Conley of the Chiefs is the guy to get in my opinion. Ridiculous athlete who isn't really getting a ton of chances to shine with KC. He's a good guy and a smart guy who is a bit quirky and I think he would be well liked in Buffalo. I thought he was really interesting in the draft a few years ago. He has upside if he can put things together. 

6-3, 4.35 forty with a 45 inch vert. He's played well when guys have been hurt and out but he is a bit buried in KC. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There may be some #2/3 options in FA, but we absolutely need to attempt to get us a potential #1.  We may be picking high enough where we can trade back and get that WR along with a OL or pass rusher

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yeah, there's a zero percent chance that [Foles] doesn't go chase a $20 million a year contact after his is up. Spoiler: it won't be with the eagles

Nor anywhere else, not for $20 mill.

19 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

LOL. Have you looked at the list of FA WR's? There's nothing there. If we want a WR, we'll have to make a trade during the off season or nail it in the draft. And have you seen Foles earlier this year? Behind THIS o-line? LOL!!!

Some of these guys will re-sign, but there's plenty out there.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783459-an-early-look-at-the-2019-nfl-free-agent-class#slide3

1. Odell Beckham Jr., New York Giants
2. Brandin Cooks, Los Angeles Rams
3. Stefon Diggs, Minnesota Vikings
4. Golden Tate, Detroit Lions
5. Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona Cardinals

The top five free-agent wide receivers only scratch the surface of potential movement. Beckham, Cooks and Diggs are 25 years old or younger and established No. 1 targets. Tate is the game's best after the catch. Fitzgerald will again consider retirement next offseason, but three straight 100-reception seasons say he's far from done.

Randall Cobb, Kelvin Benjamin, Devin Funchess, Martavis Bryant, Jermaine Kearse, Rishard Matthews, Donte Moncrief, Cole Beasley, Tyler Lockett and Tyrell Williams are wonderful second-tier options. Whatever skill a team lacks in its passing game, it can find in free agency next year.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I am confused. Are you interested in discussing realistic alternatives or just want to beat up on Allen ? Repeatedly posters are arguing your points and you keep gravitating back to "yea but Allen was bad at Wyoming and will never be any good". Stop with the charade and just state what you really want to say.

Problem is that there is a general shortage of quality OL in the league. We may have to draft those too unless one happens to be available in FA at a position of need. I think we, at a minimum need to draft a Center as he will develop chemistry with Allen and that is good for the long term success of Allen and the O in general 

I have said what I want to say perhaps you should read this time. I don't think Allen is going to be ready to start for awhile so we need a viable starter next year. Is that so hard to understand? We're going to have a high pick so I think we should grab the best available OL. Is that so hard to understand? I think we can and should find a decent wr in FA and one in the draft. Is that so hard to understand? I hope I'm wrong about Allen and have said so. Is that so hard to understand? I've asked if anyone has a better idea for a vet QB than Foles. Is that so hard to understand. Learn to read and comprehend before spouting off! 

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783459-an-early-look-at-the-2019-nfl-free-agent-class#slide3

The top five free-agent wide receivers only scratch the surface of potential movement. Beckham, Cooks and Diggs are 25 years old or younger and established No. 1 targets. Tate is the game's best after the catch. Fitzgerald will again consider retirement next offseason, but three straight 100-reception seasons say he's far from done.

Randall Cobb, Kelvin Benjamin, Devin Funchess, Martavis Bryant, Jermaine Kearse, Rishard Matthews, Donte Moncrief, Cole Beasley, Tyler Lockett and Tyrell Williams are wonderful second-tier options. Whatever skill a team lacks in its passing game, it can find in free agency next year.

Beckham re-signed so get him off the list!!!! Are you serious? Diggs is going nowhere. Fitz is retiring and if he's NOT retiring, you think he's gonna go from the Cardinals to the Bills? If he plays one more year, he's going to a Super Bowl contender! Eagles just forked over a 3rd round pick for Tate so I don't see him going anywhere. Cooks is a MAYBE.  Cobb, Benjamin, Funchess, Bryant, Kearse, Matthews, Moncrief, Beasley, Lockett are a bunch of 2nd and 3rd WRs who don't upgrade our WR core. WTF are you talking about? We need a TRUE number one and with the exception of Cooks, none of those guys you listed will be available or are number 1 WR's. 

Thanks for proving my point that there's nothing available in free agency.  Cooks would be our only option and he's a BIG MAYBE. 

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

17 hours ago, BigSky said:

Allen doesn't need to sit for two years.

rather have Fitz.

3 hours ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Beckham re-signed so get him off the list!!!! Are you serious? Diggs is going nowhere. Fitz is retiring and if he's NOT retiring, you think he's gonna go from the Cardinals to the Bills? If he plays one more year, he's going to a Super Bowl contender! Eagles just forked over a 3rd round pick for Tate so I don't see him going anywhere. Cooks is a MAYBE.  Cobb, Benjamin, Funchess, Bryant, Kearse, Matthews, Moncrief, Beasley, Lockett are a bunch of 2nd and 3rd WRs who don't upgrade our WR core. WTF are you talking about? We need a TRUE number one and with the exception of Cooks, none of those guys you listed will be available or are number 1 WR's. 

Thanks for proving my point that there's nothing available in free agency.  Cooks would be our only option and he's a BIG MAYBE. 

Who's going to tell him?

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, NewEra said:

Look at the free agent WRs and tell me who you’d want to sign?  There’s maybe 1 or 2 that I would be happy with.  And they aren’t #1 WRs.  They’re #2 at best.  If that’s what you want at WR, that’s on you.  Star WRs are difference makers.  None of the free agent WRs are worth 10 mill-+.  Those are the WRs that we need.  Not second tier guys

edit.  That being said, I think we will have to sign at LEAST 1 solid FA wr.  But I’d like to add our future #1 WR via the draft or trade. The FA options just aren’t #1s

In UFA my top guy to get be Tyrell Williams as he has deep speed and shown he can be at least a #2 with the Chargers. Also guys like Golden Tate, Chris Hogan, Quincy Enuwa, Ryan Grant would make my short list as guys I see that are better than our depth guys. While I like Holmes as a ST, he just not producing enough in passing game.

On 10/31/2018 at 4:27 AM, Doc Brown said:

Who's going to tell him?

WTF are you talking about? This coming from someone who thought Beckham was gonna be a FA next year. LOL

On 10/31/2018 at 9:58 AM, The Jokeman said:

In UFA my top guy to get be Tyrell Williams as he has deep speed and shown he can be at least a #2 with the Chargers. Also guys like Golden Tate, Chris Hogan, Quincy Enuwa, Ryan Grant would make my short list as guys I see that are better than our depth guys. While I like Holmes as a ST, he just not producing enough in passing game.

Sorry about your sorry list of FA. I have higher standards.

On 10/30/2018 at 11:23 PM, Thurman#1 said:

Beckham, Diggs and Cooks have already re-signed. Fitz isn’t finishing his career in Buffalo and Tate is likely staying in Philly.

On 10/31/2018 at 9:10 AM, GunnerBill said:

The problem with the theory is the FA OL class is where the options are. The FA WR class is not good.

This times 1,000,000x. People get so set in how they think a roster should be built. I always encourage people to look at the names and not the position. You don’t take QB if EJ Manuel is the best QB in the draft. You don’t focus your FA efforts on WR when there isn’t anyone to fill your need at the top of the depth chart. The talent available shapes the plan not the other way around.

On 10/31/2018 at 4:16 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

Chris Conley of the Chiefs is the guy to get in my opinion. Ridiculous athlete who isn't really getting a ton of chances to shine with KC. He's a good guy and a smart guy who is a bit quirky and I think he would be well liked in Buffalo. I thought he was really interesting in the draft a few years ago. He has upside if he can put things together. 

6-3, 4.35 forty with a 45 inch vert. He's played well when guys have been hurt and out but he is a bit buried in KC. 

I could certainly get behind signing Conley.... but you need a #1 too. I think gambling on him to be that would be an error. 

I'd bring Ryan Fitzpatrick back, trade for him if you have to. Then I'd sign Ryan Kalil to start at C. Then in the draft I'd take Marquise Brown, I think he has elite #1 potential and then by that point Zay should be coming along as a solid #2. Whole OL needs to be gutted, I'd keep Dawkins, Mills, Teller and Bodine but would definitely need to spend multiple draft picks here. Tavon Austin is a guy I'd offer a deal as well and shouldn't cost too much, could be a solid #3 and return man.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I could certainly get behind signing Conley.... but you need a #1 too. I think gambling on him to be that would be an error. 

I agree. I just don't see a number 1 out there this year. That's why I think we might have to take a leap of faith on a Josh Gordon or Martavis Bryant. Perhaps there is a trade to be made somewhere out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I'd bring Ryan Fitzpatrick back, trade for him if you have to. Then I'd sign Ryan Kalil to start at C. Then in the draft I'd take Marquise Brown, I think he has elite #1 potential and then by that point Zay should be coming along as a solid #2. Whole OL needs to be gutted, I'd keep Dawkins, Mills, Teller and Bodine but would definitely need to spend multiple draft picks here. Tavon Austin is a guy I'd offer a deal as well and shouldn't cost too much, could be a solid #3 and return man.

Trade assets for Ryan Fitzpatrick? That makes no sense with Josh Allen here.  Use premium assets (both draft picks and cap space to sign UFAs) to build up the offense in support of Allen's development next year and beyond. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Trade assets for Ryan Fitzpatrick? That makes no sense with Josh Allen here.  Use premium assets (both draft picks and cap space to sign UFAs) to build up the offense in support of Allen's development next year and beyond. 

I'd give up a 5th for Fitz, he's good for the occasional 4 TD game, 14 year NFL vet. Allen could take his sweet time.

Just now, NewDayBills said:

I'd give up a 5th for Fitz, he's good for the occasional 4 TD game, 14 year NFL vet. Allen could take his sweet time.

No thanks.  Developing Allen via in-game experience is paramount and I doubt TB would trade him given the ups and down of Jameis Winston.

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

What if he never develops though? Then the season is a guaranteed tank, with Fitz on the roster you protect yourself from that.

A 36 year old Ryan Fitzpatrick does nothing for the future of the franchise irrespective of Allen.  Allen needs better weapons and playing experience and that's what Beane and McDermott will give him. 

3 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

The same Baltimore team that has one of the top 3 defenses in NFL history and has 4 HOF players? I would hope Tyrod could have won a SB with that team.

Thats kind of my point man.

8 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

What if he never develops though? Then the season is a guaranteed tank, with Fitz on the roster you protect yourself from that.

What if your aunt had balls?

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

A 36 year old Ryan Fitzpatrick does nothing for the future of the franchise irrespective of Allen.  Allen needs better weapons and playing experience and that's what Beane and McDermott will give him. 

We can do all these things, once again though I see a strong need for a scrappy veteran at QB, someone that could start if needed. I don't think that's even debatable honestly, no better guy than Fitz.