Theory about Raiders/Gruden

A few thoughts I had about the fire sale in Oakland. Might mean nothing. One, Gruden realizes he's bad. So if he essentially rebuilds the team with rookies, he guarentees himself another three years, because he has the built in excuse of being a young team. 

Another thought, again, might mean nothing. Basically getting rid of the stars, so that when the team moves to Las Vegas, it's like a whole new expansion team with brand new players. A marketing thing more than a football thing. 

EDIT: When I made this post, I forgot about the ridiculous contract the Raiders gave Gruden.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Refuse to pay one of the best pass rushers/defensive players in the NFL.  Trade of of the better young WR’s in the NFL.  Openly state that your franchise QB is “available” for trade.

Essentially they traded 2 proven assets for 2 first round draft picks which are not going to be guaranteed “hits.”

I think this is less about the best interest of he team, and more about making this Gruden’s team.  

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

A few thoughts I had about the fire sale in Oakland. Might mean nothing. One, Gruden realizes he's bad. So if he essentially rebuilds the team with rookies, he guarentees himself another three years, because he has the built in excuse of being a young team. 

Another thought, again, might mean nothing. Basically getting rid of the stars, so that when the team moves to Las Vegas, it's like a whole new expansion team with brand new players. A marketing thing more than a football thing. 

Guaranteed himself 3 years?  He has a 10 year 100 million dollar guaranteed contract.

• Haha (+1) 2

Whatever you think about Gruden, it's obvious he's arrogant. With that in mind winning with guys YOU DIDN'T BRING IN isn't going to be good enough, he has to prove he can do it with his own star players. Add the fact that a lot of people say he only won a Super Bowl with Dungy's team and that probably makes him even more likely to try and do it on his own terms.

• Like (+1) 2

all these posts about Gruden saying how he's making moves to buy him more time. Dude he's got a 10 year guaranteed deal. Grudens not going anywhere unless they fire him & pay him all that money not to be there. Ala what the Bills would do.

The only thing that makes sense with the Raiders is that Gruden is making the team into his image. Since is image is generally that of a failure then i'd say he'd doing a good job!

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Yes, Las Vegas is the place where you "market" your splashy new product by having zero stars...

Just now, brianthomas said:

all these posts about Gruden saying how he's making moves to buy him more time. Dude he's got a 10 year guaranteed deal. Grudens not going anywhere unless they fire him & pay him all that money not to be there. Ala what the Bills would do.

The only thing that makes sense with the Raiders is that Gruden is making the team into his image. Since is image is generally that of a failure then i'd say he'd doing a good job!

right. it's all about burning the bridge to their fanbase in Oakland to make the move to Las Vegas more palpital

I don't think it's anymore than the organization making a decison to build a great Las Vegas team at the expense of their remaining time in Oakland. They want high draft picks in their prime, along with cap space to generate the "buzz" in their new market.  They want the seats filled.  Not sure that gets done by transplanting the "ok" Raiders team there. 

They are essentially taking the Rams template and executing it for themselves.  

I understand the business rationale for the moves.  What I loathe is the wholesale selling out of Oakland Raider fans yet again by the Davis family and the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 1

This same thread could be written about every new coach.  First, the team fires the old coach, almost certainly because the Team was not winning.  Then, everyone expects the new coach to keep everything the same in hopes of a different result?  On the contrary...I'd be shocked if there wasn't a house cleaning.

10 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I don't think it's anymore than the organization making a decison to build a great Las Vegas team at the expense of their remaining time in Oakland. They want high draft picks in their prime, along with cap space to generate the "buzz" in their new market.  They want the seats filled.  Not sure that gets done by transplanting the "ok" Raiders team there. 

They are essentially taking the Rams template and executing it for themselves.  

I understand the business rationale for the moves.  What I loathe is the wholesale selling out of Oakland Raider fans yet again by the Davis family and the NFL.  

This is a better way of describing how I feel in the second part. 

Forgot about the ridiculous contract they gave him. 

20 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Refuse to pay one of the best pass rushers/defensive players in the NFL.  Trade of of the better young WR’s in the NFL.  Openly state that your franchise QB is “available” for trade.

Essentially they traded 2 proven assets for 2 first round draft picks which are not going to be guaranteed “hits.”

I think this is less about the best interest of he team, and more about making this Gruden’s team.  

Are the Raiders boards in full on meltdown yet? At least we kinda expected not to be good this year, but I’m sure raider nation had a different expectation coming in, especially with Gruden singing the praises of the roster on his way in, while hiding a proverbial leaf blower behind his back.