Is following the Bills a fun pastime for you?

7 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

As the old Fantasy Island commercials put it:. "Fun?! Wow!"

Yes, the fun that comes from those 3+ hours on Sunday is indeed.....a Fantasy! But I still love it for the camaraderie with friends and connection to my family....even when stink. It’s more than a team competition, it’s a way of life. I survive when they lose, because I know why it’s important to me. It’s not life and death, for goodness sakes! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Following the Bills:

• when dominant, it's a blast to follow
  • when winning, it's fun
  • when competitive, it's OK
  • when they suck, it's torture

I've experienced all four levels. Domination was during the Levy/Kelly years. I never lost hope regardless of score--because come back wins were common. Even the 17 season dark hole had streaks of competitiveness and winning. But right now we downright suck. Even visiting TSW can be hard. I knew this was a rebuilding year. But I had expected us to at least be close in games. Torture.

Favorite subplots to follow:

• the Coach's strategic midgame adjustments. Let's just say there's not been much of interest there lately
  • scouting, info is rare though
  • draft, Bean's a trader--very interesting
  • progression of newbies: love the Edmunds and Milano stories
  • performance of elite veterans

21 hours ago, Buftex said:

I love the Bills.  Never miss a game...in fact, I've only missed one game since 1984.  It was the game against the Colts (coincidentally) where Howard Ballard missed a block, Jim Kelly got creamed, and the "bickering Bills" were born.  Watched it a few monthls later, on VHS.  I obsessed over this team since I was 7 (1972). 

At one point, during the Jauron era, my love of the team slipped a little.  I still remember the game...JP Losman was getting his "final chance" to prove that he had any value as a Buffalo Bill.  We were playing the Jets.  Late in the season.  It seemed like the Bills were going to ice away an unspectacular, but hard faught win.  All they had to do was run out the clock.  For some reason, they had JP roll out and try to run the ball...deep in their own end.  Predictably, JP had the ball swatted out of his hands, the Jets scooped it up, and ran the ball into the endzone for a win in the waining moments of the game. 

I hated Dick Jaruon so much...that season was so frustrating...I remember snapping after that play...everyone in the bar I was watching was angry, and slamming their cups down...I just started laughing hysterically...people thought I had lost my mind...I couldn't stop laughing...I wanted to, but I couldn't. 

My love of the Bills is still strong, but it has never been quite the same after that...just got so numb to the ineptidtude.  I will confess, last season, though I didn't think we had a great team at all, I did enjoy them making the playoffs.  I never expected it, never expected them to win that game..but it was fun, for one week, to remember how exciting it could be. 

I no longer read every article I can get my hands on...never look at team/league stats like I used to...don't tune into the national shows to see how they are talking about us...I just watch on Sundays, enjoy hanging out with other Bills fans, and love it when we win...but if we lose...eh, who cares anymore? I am 53 years old now...I have come to the realization that the Bills aren't likely to win anything in my liftime.  My brother passed away last fall...he was 60.  He was every bit the Bills fanatic as me...maybe even worse.  The last day I saw him, we watched the Bills lose to the Bengals last season.  He was really sick, we both knew he didn't have a lot of time left.  Our last cognisent conversation he said to me "don't waste too much time on the Bills...there is so many other things to enjoy"

Thanks for this heartfelt post. I've been a season ticket holder for 14 years of mostly terrible football. Still it has given me some of my happiest memories. Last year's playoff appearance still seems surreal. It was a challenge to manage allowing yourself to feel hope. I have confidence that the Beane/McDermott brain trust will restore us to respectability if not glory. Drafting Allen feels right even if it means more waiting. 

One thing I very much enjoy.   Game day mornings.    I love getting up, reading the paper and having breakfast, then planning gameday meals, wings or an antipasti platter, bloody marys, some days we'll take the TV out and put it by the pool and float around listening to the Bills get destroyed.    

I like 1pm kickoffs better than anything, primetime sucks, i don't like going to bed pissed off, and I don't like 4pm kickoffs, I like to get the losing out of the way and enjoy the rest of my Sunday. 

22 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think if you are honest with yourself about the product and keep it in perspective it's fun even if they suck.

Some of you lustily defend obviously shaky/stupid decisions and then die a thousand deaths over the predictable result and take out the accompanying frustration with the team on anyone who mentions the ineptitude.    If you can't laugh at your sh*tty professional team you don't understand that it's just entertainment.

Plus there's the gallows humor element, which can't be dismissed. For instance, the Bills are currently on pace to field the worst offense in DVOA history (going back to 1986). That would be something. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/22/2018 at 7:03 PM, CaptnCoke11 said:

Currently?  Nothing 

I'm a reasonably serious Bills fans, but Coke captured how I feel.  The Bills have to be alive for me to be interested, and there were very signs of life last week.  Any decent NFL team would have responded to the heart-breaking Texans game with a decent showing in Indianapolis.   Instead, we got a totally mailed-in performance.  

Allen is the only thing that's interesting about this team right now, and he isn't playing.  

On 10/22/2018 at 7:23 PM, ProcessTruster said:

sure,  they have the right people in place now and are on a rational path, so yes it's pretty cool to watch them operate the player personnel rebuild piece...

We don’t know if they are the right people. Tearing down a roster is the easy part. Now comes the hard part where you have to show you can draft well, add the right pieces in FA and manage the cap.