This atrocity should be expected

Steptide

1 minute ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I am not going to presume any of the guys they’ve let walk or traded have a bad work ethic or attitude. And I don’t trust McDermott to be honest about that either. So those are unknowns as far as I am concerned.

As far as “scheme fit” as it applies to offense? They are on their 2nd coordinator in as many years, and this current one is well on his way out the door if judged by his performance. They have no offensive “scheme” beyond being absolutely lost and embarrassing. 

You’re just using the same stupid buzzwords McDermott uses to avoid ever answering any questions in a meaningful way.

i am just trying to put myself in the shoes of the coach and am using his logic/words. i don't always agree with it, i just try to understand it. i am not defending his moves at all. i probably would have done things a bit differently, but there is a reason why i am not employed by an NFL team.

3 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

shouldn't a good coach know that scoring points is what wins games? and maybe that this game is now centered around the forward pass...and people that catch those passes? i think we are on the same side here.

Yeah that too but you know the weather in Buffalo is really the reason why need running game and Defense. Nevermind what they have done in NE for over a decade lol?

18 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

While I agree with the OP insofar as I did not expect a repeat (or improvement) of last year, being “bad” is one thing. Being completely noncompetitive is another. Repeated blowouts, a historically bad offense, and coach who, frankly, is starting to sound insulting with his responses to questions are not acceptable (or “expected”) and NO ONE should be defending this. 

You’re right! We should all rage at the team and administration! That is the obvious response!

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

They have to go where the great players in the draft are. It’s D line high in 2018. Fix the offense by other means than the first round of the draft. 

I'm very torn on BPA at this point as it's premature. I guess I need to see how free agency pans out for this team before making a final decision on the draft.

Just now, swnybillsfan said:

i am just trying to put myself in the shoes of the coach and am using his logic/words. i don't always agree with it, i just try to understand it. i am not defending his moves at all. i probably would have done things a bit differently, but there is a reason why i am not employed by an NFL team.

I understand that. I tried to do it in the past as well. Slowly but surely though I grown to believe this coach is very disingenuous when he speaks publicly. It’s insulting to us fans. 

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

You’re right! We should all rage at the team and administration! That is the obvious response!

That’s right Joe! Get the pitchforks! 

Because I totally said that. All I said was no one should defend this performance.

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nonsense. They created most of the dead cap by choice. 

The majority of Dead Cap money came from Marcel Dareus (traded), Eric Wood (retired), Cordy Glenn (traded) and Tyrod Taylor (traded).

Those four players ALONE account for literally 70% of the Dead Cap.

Throw in Aaron Williams, Vontae Davis and Ritchie Incognito (also retired), you can bump that number to 82% of the Dead Cap.

- There is nothing they could have done about the retirements.

- The Glenn and Taylor trades were significant in our moves to get Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds.

- They preferred taking a one-year hit for Dareus, rather than letting him be a salary cap drain for the next 4 years.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Steptide said:

Judging by fan reaction, it seems alot of fans are shocked by how bad this team is. Nobody should be surprised at how bad they are 

I agree with that to an extent. It is odd because I feel like most of the people shocked by how bad it is are saying the stuff you wrote. I could be wrong.

I thought the team would be bad, I was expecting it. I think it is just how they're losing, listening to McHerps, they're just awful. They're losing, and they've shown nothing to address weaknesses. 

Some of us have been asking for a WR for a year and a half now. They did nothing as far as back up QB. They just look totally lost in my opinion.

I can watch a team lose and not call for heads. But I just don't trust these guys at all. The defense is great, he realizes he has to score some points though right?

They just appear to have no interest in the offense, and that's putting it nicely. Deep down I'd rather qualify it as clueless. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not buying this dead cap argument. The game was lost in the first half with a pathetic defense. That's supposed to be a top-notch squad and it was exposed by a 1 - 5 team. 6 penalties this year for illegal formations. All of it's unacceptable. Something wrong with this coaching staff. We seem to win close or get blown out.

• Like (+1) 1

I am not surprised by the results. I am surprised by how badly they have handled the QB position. They should have done more to protect JA if he wasn't ready to play and their lack of assessment regarding Peterman's ability is inexcusable. IMO. This situation is causing McDermott to backtrack, retract and sound ridiculous. Allen isn't ready to play, he can learn from the sidelines, only to backtrack a week later and say that Allen can learn on the field. Because Peterman played so poorly. I get you can't force anyone to play on the team, but there had to be a plan in place when they sent AJ to the Raiders. To me the Bills Brass has been reactive instead of proactive. Which shouldn't be acceptable to ownership.

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I agree with that to an extent. It is odd because I feel like most of the people shocked by how bad it is are saying the stuff you wrote. I could be wrong.

I thought the team would be bad, I was expecting it. I think it is just how they're losing, listening to McHerps, they're just awful. They're losing, and they've shown nothing to address weaknesses. 

Some of us have been asking for a WR for a year and a half now. They did nothing as far as back up QB. They just look totally lost in my opinion.

I can watch a team lose and not call for heads. But I just don't trust these guys at all. The defense is great, he realizes he has to score some points though right?

They just appear to have no interest in the offense, and that's putting it nicely. Deep down I'd rather qualify it as clueless. 

So since they did not explain the plan to you, they are clueless? Got it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

Hard to believe that they're going to go 0-60 in one off-season.  Not much salvageable on the offense here in the 2nd year of the process.

We've been spoiled by the Rams and Bears offensive turnarounds, but it's extremely difficult to replicate. 

There are only so many qualified prospects and quality free agents to go around, and the Bills aren't the only team with draft picks or money to burn. 

If we're going to create a dominant offense, it's going to take some time. 

Every team has draft picks...just because we have a couple more than some teams doesn't give us a huge advantage....all teams make moves in the off-season to clear cap space to sign players they want. Why does everyone think the Bills have a huge advantage over other teams?  This team is so bad it does not get fixed in one off-season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I understand that. I tried to do it in the past as well. Slowly but surely though I grown to believe this coach is very disingenuous when he speaks publicly. It’s insulting to us fans. 

That’s right Joe! Get the pitchforks! 

Because I totally said that. All I said was no one should defend this performance.

Then I’m sorry you’re just not angry enough!

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I post something similar every week after these losses. This season was never gonna be good. Last year was very fun making the playoffs, but it was also very flukey (the fumble by Matt Ryan against Atlanta, the Colts game, the Dalton pass etc) 

While I don't agree with every decision McBean have made since they were hired, they've also been a bit handcuffed by the dead cap money. I'll say it again, if we're sitting here a year from now in the same boat, then yes, fire McDermott, but this season was truly a "hit the reset button' year. McDermott and beane knew this, hence beane not wanting to give up a single draft pick in 19 to move up in the draft in 18. Don't fool yourselves, McDermott absolutely knew how bad we'd be this year. That doesn't mean they're not trying to win though. We have 9 games left and I expect alot more of what we've seen so far. Hopefully we can pull out a few wins and have a few good weeks, but don't hold.your breath 

While I agree with your general premise a lot of the “dead cap space” is their fault. They dealt guys that they shouldn’t have dealt and cut guys that they shouldn’t have cut. They wanted to clear the cap. They also wanted “their guys.” The dead cap money is a combination of good roster building and complete arrogance. Anytime a new regime starts and “knows better” than the last one it ends poorly. You need to come in and evaluate without bias. These guys didn’t do that. 

Just now, SDS said:

So since they did not explain the plan to you, they are clueless? Got it. 

Do you see a plan on offense? I'm trying to figure it out, I just don't see it.

They've ignored it.

The common explanation trotted out is last year was defense, next year is offense.

I don't really believe you rebuild like that.

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Do you see a plan on offense? I'm trying to figure it out, I just don't see it.

They've ignored it.

The common explanation trotted out is last year was defense, next year is offense.

I don't really believe you rebuild like that.

Right now, because I believe these guys are professionals and not potatoes, I think it is clear that they  focused on the defense and the quarterback this season and will address the massive offensive needs in the future.  I don’t think we have seen any plan on that side of the ball other than to bring in temporary placeholders, other than Allen. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SDS said:

Right now, because I believe these guys are professionals and not potatoes, I think it is clear that they  focused on the defense and the quarterback this season and will address the massive offensive needs in the future.  I don’t think we have seen any plan on that side of the ball other than to bring in temporary placeholders, other than Allen. 

This is also the way I see it....and have seen it since game 1

No team is going to tell you that their plan is to rebiuld...they need to sell tickets along the way.....but all you have to do is look at the fact that we dont score double digits in points every week (except for a few outliers) and not make HUGE changes this tell you all you need to know......it was defense, dead cap crap sandwich, and draft a franchise qb this year......offense next year.

If it was anything other then that then Deboll would be fired by now.

• Like (+1) 2

The only issue I really have is how bad they bumbled the QB position.

For one, you should at least have an average set of weapons if you plan on throwing a rookie into the mix.

Two, the trading of AJ McCarron was not worth the compensation brought back.

I’ll even give a pass on Peterman. Some people just choke when the bright lights are on. A practice All-Pro and a real game dud.

They need to get things right next year on the offensive side of the ball. No excuses.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

The only issue I really have is how bad they bumbled the QB position.

For one, you should at least have an average set of weapons if you plan on throwing a rookie into the mix.

Two, the trading of AJ McCarron was not worth the compensation brought back.

I’ll even give a pass on Peterman. Some people just choke when the bright lights are on. A practice All-Pro and a real game dud.

They need to get things right next year on the offensive side of the ball. No excuses.

pretty large Bumble though..

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The majority of Dead Cap money came from Marcel Dareus (traded), Eric Wood (retired), Cordy Glenn (traded) and Tyrod Taylor (traded).

Those four players ALONE account for literally 70% of the Dead Cap.

Throw in Aaron Williams, Vontae Davis and Ritchie Incognito (also retired), you can bump that number to 82% of the Dead Cap.

- There is nothing they could have done about the retirements.

- The Glenn and Taylor trades were significant in our moves to get Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds.

- They preferred taking a one-year hit for Dareus, rather than letting him be a salary cap drain for the next 4 years.

Good luck explaining this after a loss :lol:. They were handed a team in cap trouble with nothing to build on for the future. They pulled the band-aid off quick which was the right move, regardless of how much the fans whine. Blowout wins and losses are never as good or bad as they seem.

This was a 5-win team in April and will likely be a 5-win team at the end of December. Nothing has changed.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

I think we see the same thing, but take different things away from it. I could very well be wrong and they have a plan. I just think you have to do something, and I already see the excuse being laid out where you can't rebuild an Oline, WR corps, TE's, RB in one off season and it will take time. I understand they lost out on John Brown, but what else did they even attempt? So when they trot out you can't build the Rome in a day BS I'm going to think back to this off season.

53 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I post something similar every week after these losses. This season was never gonna be good. Last year was very fun making the playoffs, but it was also very flukey (the fumble by Matt Ryan against Atlanta, the Colts game, the Dalton pass etc) 

While I don't agree with every decision McBean have made since they were hired, they've also been a bit handcuffed by the dead cap money. I'll say it again, if we're sitting here a year from now in the same boat, then yes, fire McDermott, but this season was truly a "hit the reset button' year. McDermott and beane knew this, hence beane not wanting to give up a single draft pick in 19 to move up in the draft in 18. Don't fool yourselves, McDermott absolutely knew how bad we'd be this year. That doesn't mean they're not trying to win though. We have 9 games left and I expect alot more of what we've seen so far. Hopefully we can pull out a few wins and have a few good weeks, but don't hold.your breath 

You. Cannot. Blame. The. Dead. Money. When. They. Created. The. Dead. Money.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I think we see the same thing, but take different things away from it. I could very well be wrong and they have a plan. I just think you have to do something, and I already see the excuse being laid out where you can't rebuild an Oline, WR corps, TE's, RB in one off season and it will take time. I understand they lost out on John Brown, but what else did they even attempt? So when they trot out you can't build the Rome in a day BS I'm going to think back to this off season.

That may be somewhat true but there is no way that excuse works without serious improvement from this year even if they haven't completely fixed things.

21 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

i don't know as if he is disingenuous, but i firmly believe he is big on discression. i also think that he would sacrifice himself before he throws one of his own under the bus. he knows the score, i just don't know how bad he thinks it is. 

15 minutes ago, nucci said:

Every team has draft picks...just because we have a couple more than some teams doesn't give us a huge advantage....all teams make moves in the off-season to clear cap space to sign players they want. Why does everyone think the Bills have a huge advantage over other teams?  This team is so bad it does not get fixed in one off-season

Because they have slightly more picks than the other teams, but mostly, the most cap space by far - AT LAST! So they can hire good FA. As it stands now, the Bills roster is the least paid one in the NFL because of all the dead cap space. So IF, and that's the big IF, they make some good decisions, they are set up favorably for improvement in the league. It doesn't mean it will happen but yes they have the best odds league-wise. Like most GMs and brass, they will make blunders, some bad decisions, overpay a few players, but odds are they should also make some amazing decisions. Now their hands are tied.

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You can. The Process says you can. 

I don't even know what The Process is anymore. 

Is it building a consistent championship contender with appropriate talent & scheme, or bumbling around scoring 3 points with some old timer you picked up from Cabo? 

Seriously. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

Just now, Warcodered said:

That may be somewhat true but there is no way that excuse works without serious improvement from this year even if they haven't completely fixed things.

I hope you're right. First, that there is serious improvement. And secondly, that I'm wrong about that excuse being accepted

1 minute ago, swnybillsfan said:

i don't know as if he is disingenuous, but i firmly believe he is big on discression. i also think that he would sacrifice himself before he throws one of his own under the bus. he knows the score, i just don't know how bad he thinks it is. 

Yes that may well be it. Problem is there’s a fine line with today’s media and fan interaction between being buttoned up and sounding clueless and/or, like I said earlier, disingenuous. I can’t say McDermott has walked that line correctly so far. 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

This franchise in general is also paying for the horrible drafts of 2015 and 2016. This year was just not supposed to be a good year for them. They have a very talented group of young players from the last two drafts who aren't ready to take the team over, their veterans are getting very old, and they lost the heart and soul of their offensive line. There's nothing in between because of those poor drafts.

IMO this is not a GM or HC issue. It's just a season, with a roster in transition, that this franchise and it's fans unfortunately have to muddle through in the hopes that the young players (Josh Allen especially), the 2019 draftees and the new FA's prove that the process is indeed working with a 2019 season of a young team ready for a decade long run at playoff and Super Bowl contenders.

I have faith that the 2019 season will show that the process is working.

Edited by 1billsfan
  • Like (+1) 1