Derek Anderson to sign with Bills per Mort

2 hours ago, ctk232 said:

Sooo you want McCown then? Or who else would be better? I think we need a capable back up behind Allen regardless, but for what purpose this year? Also, by "need a smart, veteran QB in the room to help mentor Allen," do you mean a coach? One that maybe knows the QB position? And is paid to be the "QB coach?" Because that's essentially what we are now double-paying for if Anderson is signed. I wish we could cut a coach to save a roster spot, but there's no rule or practice anywhere that says you need a smart, veteran QB to help teach you the game before you can succeed - nor is there any guarantee that having one will even help in the slightest. 

Unpopular opinion: let Peterman be the cheap back up option this year and BRING IN AN ACTUAL QB COACH OR OC WHO KNOWS THE POSITION. I get we need to help him develop now, and I don't fully disagree with this move (if he signs), but let's bring in someone whose purpose is to develop Allen. He is the future at the moment, and whether it's Allen or someone else next year, or a few seasons down the line, we still need an OC/QB coach capable of developing players at that position. 

Anderson is not a capable backup...........he's been bad in that role.

I understand that they mishandled the offseason backup QB situation and now the pickings are slim..........but when something better comes along Anderson NEEDS TO GO.

He is awful.

My concern is that McD will get comfortable with him like they did in Carolina and miss opportunities again for a legit helpful vet backup.

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I understand that they mishandled the offseason backup QB situation and now the pickings are slim..........but when something better comes along Anderson NEEDS TO GO.

He is awful.

My concern is that McD will get comfortable with him like they did in Carolina and miss opportunities again for a legit helpful vet backup.

Agreed - never thought he would be a great back up, but I'm just more upset that we're basically already paying a guy to do what Andersen is going to do (QB coach), without having to suit up on Sundays. While he might be better than Peterman, he's not going to win games if he is to play at all. 

I think this is temporary for now until they find something better. It's only natural, though that he come from Carolina...

Edited by ctk232

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Is it strange that this didn’t happen today? I was actually very excited about this signing. I hope something didn’t fall through here. This team needs another guy that can play qb. There is no way Nate can go back on the field.

They are very likely just arguing a little over the details of the contract. It will be incentive-based.

Like, there will be language in there saying, "If you say one smart thing on the sidelines that Josh nods to, AND uses in a game AND it works, you get an extra $500,000. But it's not one of those incentives the league and NFLPA label "likely to happen."

• Haha (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Is it strange that this didn’t happen today? I was actually very excited about this signing. I hope something didn’t fall through here. This team needs another guy that can play qb. There is no way Nate can go back on the field.

He visited today but i think the announcement will be tomorrow 

11 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Don't discount that the Bills and Sabres try not to step on each other with news and it was a Sabres afternoon game day.  They may have Derek do a presser tomorrow and announce it.

6 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Don't discount that the Bills and Sabres try not to step on each other with news and it was a Sabres afternoon game day.  They may have Derek do a presser tomorrow and announce it.

I really hope that’s not a real thing. Why would anyone care enough about either of these things to do that? A Derek Anderson signing and the 3rd game of the regular season for the Sabres? I can see naming a coach or something but come on. Hopefully it was just contract language 

28 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Tell that to McDermott.

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He is awful.

I don't think you need to worry about McD getting comfortable with Anderson past this season.  Anderson remarried, he's got a young child and a dog.  He may be willing to spend a season in Buffalo to lay down more funding in his kid's college fund, but he's not gonna want to be staying.

Unless you meant "within this season" for the missed vet backup ops?