Turnstile Signings & Releases: Why Bother?

...been following this club and the NFL for 56 years and am probably WAY too old to understand this strategy.....BUT....why do we bother signing a guy only to release him two or three days later?...sure brings new meaning to a lot spot with a FIFTEEN MINUTE PARKING sign......how does this differ from bringing in a guy for a tryout and not signing him?...what can possibly be gained from a two or three day signing followed by release?....what did I miss?.....

It's part of building a football culture and the process.  I can copy and paste that answer to any Bills football question.

Plus it shows Kim and Terry, Beane and staff are working to earn those compensation packages.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...been following this club and the NFL for 56 years and am probably WAY too old to understand this strategy.....BUT....why do we bother signing a guy only to release him two or three days later?...sure brings new meaning to a lot spot with a FIFTEEN MINUTE PARKING sign......how does this differ from bringing in a guy for a tryout and not signing him?...what can possibly be gained from a two or three day signing followed by release?....what did I miss?.....

plus the players signed are bottom of the roster players....

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

plus the players signed are bottom of the roster players....

...so what is the difference of a tryout versus a two day signing?.....what can you learn from those two days on the roster versus what you would see in a tryout?......maybe it is a stupid burr in my saddle, but do we look foolish or am I losing it (it HAS been said,)??..........

You didnt mention any specifics, but, generally it can be to cover for an injured player. For example; a cornerback is injured and the team needs depth, but only until that injured player recovers. Since they didtn put that guy on injured reserve, t hey make roster moves to cover; i.e. when Lawson and Murphy were banged up they brought in Nate Orchard.  Another scenario  might  be if they sign a player off another team's practice squad; they activate him temporarily. practice squad changes often, as a bufffer

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Pablocruise said:

You didnt mention any specifics, but, generally it can be to cover for an injured player. For example; a cornerback is injured and the team needs depth, but only until that injured player recovers. Since they didtn put that guy on injured reserve, t hey make roster moves to cover; i.e. when Lawson and Murphy were banged up they brought in Nate Orchard.  Another scenario  might  be if they sign a player off another team's practice squad; they activate him temporarily. practice squad changes often, as a bufffer

..thanks for the contribution bud.....exactly the type of analysis that helps me.....:thumbsup:

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

54 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

They know the roster is weak and that is causing them to make changes out of desperation,jmho.

With all of these "turnstile" signings/releases, it is strangely ironic that these transactions never relate to the actual turnstiles already on the roster, namely the two starting guards. Beane and McDermott's comittment to Ducasse alone reminds me of Al Michaels mocking of the Raiders' "commitment to excellence" slogan- refering to it as the "commitment to excrement".

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so what is the difference of a tryout versus a two day signing?.....what can you learn from those two days on the roster versus what you would see in a tryout?......maybe it is a stupid burr in my saddle, but do we look foolish or am I losing it (it HAS been said,)??..........

I don’t think it makes anyone look foolish. You’re trying everything possible to get better. He may look good enough to give a shot in tryouts, but for whatever reason in full practices....maybe not so much. Plus, as mentioned, it can be to offset injuries on the roster. And (if you’re the Patriots), you just want to squeeze a little knowledge out of them before game day.  ?

12 minutes ago, RussellDopeland said:

With all of these "turnstile" signings/releases, it is strangely ironic that these transactions never relate to the actual turnstiles already on the roster, namely the two starting guards. Beane and McDermott's comittment to Ducasse alone reminds me of Al Michaels mocking of the Raiders' "commitment to excellence" slogan- refering to it as the "commitment to excrement".

I thought that this thread referred to our Offensive Line actually before  I read through it.

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, RussellDopeland said:

The Bad Vlad who gets blamed for every O line problem

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/18/buffalo-bills-vlad-ducasse-john-miller-brian-daboll-pff/

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/7/4/17482820/2018-buffalo-bills-scouting-report-guard-vladimir-ducasse-90-players-in-90-days

15 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

I thought that this thread referred to our Offensive Line actually before  I read through it.

It relates to both.  That's the process of the whole organization.

Maybe they are going a marketing route to get rid of "all America City" to "turnstile capital of the US"

Edited by The Wiz

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

How would you go about signing every free agent DT off the couch? Do you have a better way? There's goals here. There's plenty of useless DT's to sign and we will sign them all or die trying

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

100% a stupid burr in your saddle and yes, you’re losing it. 

3 hours ago, JoeF said:

It's part of building a football culture and the process.  I can copy and paste that answer to any Bills football question.

Plus it shows Kim and Terry, Beane and staff are working to earn those compensation packages.

Joef, I think I understand what your saying here but you better copy & paste the answer fast because within 10 minutes 1 of the obsessive posters will take over.

It's just the nature of the league in my opinion. They didn't this under previous GMs. They're constantly trying to improve, even if it is in perhaps the least noticeable ways.

That's not even taking into consideration injuries. I'm pretty sure every team does this.

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Shuffling the deck chairs....

...I did a lousy job of explaining the basis for this thread with my apology.....I certainly understand churning, looking to improve, something even Whaley did......having taken my "anti senior moment" meds, I'll try again.....say you bring a guy in for a tryout and it lasts one+ hours.....send him on his way with "we'll get back to you"........you outright sign another guy who you end up cutting two days later.....assume he went through two practices or a total of 3-4 hours........how much MORE can you possibly learn from a couple of extra hours?......hopefully some of our purists here can set me straight with my conundrum..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

32 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I did a lousy job of explaining the basis for this thread with my apology.....I certainly understand churning, looking to improve, something even Whaley did......having taken my "anti senior moment" meds, I'll try again.....say you bring a guy in for a tryout and it lasts one+ hours.....send him on his way with "we'll get back to you"........you outright sign another guy who you end up cutting two days later.....assume he went through two practices or a total of 3-4 hours........how much MORE can you possibly learn from a couple of extra hours?......hopefully some of our purists here can set me straight with my conundrum..........

Well, presumably once he's signed, you can give him a playbook, teach him some plays, and see how quickly he picks things up, which is important.....I believe you can do contact drills which I don't believe the NFLPA or the agents allow when you're just auditioning someone unsigned, for obvious reasons

... but as I think others have said, the "cup of coffee" guys are usually signed as insurance, we think Micah Hyde can't go so we look for a backup safety, then 2-3 days later it looks like he can go, so we look at how New Guy compares to the backup and anyone already on the PS, and throw him back in the pond if he doesn't look like an upgrade.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, presumably once he's signed, you can give him a playbook, teach him some plays, and see how quickly he picks things up, which is important.....I believe you can do contact drills which I don't believe the NFLPA or the agents allow when you're just auditioning someone unsigned, for obvious reasons

... but as I think others have said, the "cup of coffee" guys are usually signed as insurance, we think Micah Hyde can't go so we look for a backup safety, then 2-3 days later it looks like he can go, so we look at how New Guy compares to the backup and anyone already on the PS, and throw him back in the pond if he doesn't look like an upgrade.

...valid points...thank you.............

It’s kind of like dating. There are some women you talk to for a few minutes and realize no way. There are some you actually go out with and spend a little time with and then realize no way. So you go through this “process” until you find someone to hang out with for a few weeks, months or years. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, iinii said:

It’s kind of like dating. There are some women you talk to for a few minutes and realize no way. There are some you actually go out with and spend a little time with and then realize no way. So you go through this “process” until you find someone to hang out with for a few weeks, months or years. 

That's how I found my franchise wife. But she's a system wife; I don't think she'd be as successful in most other households.

(To be fair, I'm a system husband.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

That's how I found my franchise wife. But she's a system wife; I don't think she'd be as successful in most other households.

(To be fair, I'm a system husband.)

....and I'd bet it is HER system.......:thumbsup:..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 10/5/2018 at 2:45 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Its just not the Bills.  There’s moves like this in the NFL every week.

Whaley and Jim Monos made these moves every week as well.  

5 minutes ago, FrankReichComeback#14 said:

Its just not the Bills.  There’s moves like this in the NFL every week.

Whaley and Jim Monos made these moves every week as well.  

...Whaley was good at it as well....whole bunch of circumstances behind a 48 hour signing I guess....