McDermott: still no decision on RCB between Gaines/Davis

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

WR and CB are two of the weakest positions on the team - which is not a coincidence, since Watkins and Darby were shipped out with no replacements brought in.  I am extremely unimpressed with the roster-building decisions of Beane & Co. to date.

They brought in Gaines and Matthews.  So those were replacements. Gaines outplayed Darby last year and Watkins bolted in free agency.  I'm guessing they figured they did not want to pay Watkins 16 mil per year. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

They brought in Gaines and Matthews.  So those were replacements. Gaines outplayed Darby last year and Watkins bolted in free agency.  I'm guessing they figured they did not want to pay Watkins 16 mil per year. 

Those dudes were both on one-year contracts which the Bills chose not to renew - they were hardly "replacements" for elite young talent.

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Those dudes were both on one-year contracts which the Bills chose not to renew - they were hardly "replacements" for elite young talent.

Watkins and Darby are Elite?  Do you think the bills were going to sign Watkins after his contract expired? So we got a second round pick and EJ Gaines for him and lost exactly nothing.  As for Darby he was outplayed last year by Gaines, if you want to criticize, criticize not resigning Gains not the trade. 

Edited by Batman1876
  • Like (+1) 1

No decision = oh sh*t ...Davis didn't bounce back noe we have 2 below average players at cb. Cleveland might have paid more than you should for ej Gaines but it wasn't a break the bank set your franchise back deal eiyhrr. Mistake not keeping our strongest group in tact 

Edited by Tazor Face

McDermott may not be the most innovative mind in football, but he’s not going to just leave Davis/Gaines out there on an island. Luckily Buffalo is deep at safety and with them using the 3 safety package throughout camp, either corner will be getting plenty of help.

I think as long as Davis gets that help over the top so he doesn’t have to worry about getting beat deep, he will be fine. Hopefully he’s just been shaking of the rust...

57 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

McDermott may not be the most innovative mind in football, but he’s not going to just leave Davis/Gaines out there on an island. Luckily Buffalo is deep at safety and with them using the 3 safety package throughout camp, either corner will be getting plenty of help.

I think as long as Davis gets that help over the top so he doesn’t have to worry about getting beat deep, he will be fine. Hopefully he’s just been shaking of the rust...

Both of our starting safeties also can play corner and safety is our deepest position ... so I agree the scheme will be drawn up as needed. These aren’t world beaters at WR. They have no real #1. Crab is a #2 WR at this point and Snead and Brown are 2-3.

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

They do know this isn't EJ Gaines right? 

Bills are in so much trouble this season. 

Yes its not EJ Gaines, pretty sure everyone knows... if it were EJ Gaines then he'd be injured and not even playing. Dude was constantly off the field.

Confused why he is still brought up so much. Yes he was great last year but was practically unknown before that.

Maybe its the system / coaches that really brings the best out of the players... 

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

WR and CB are two of the weakest positions on the team - which is not a coincidence, since Watkins and Darby were shipped out with no replacements brought in.  I am extremely unimpressed with the roster-building decisions of Beane & Co. to date.

This team resembles the Carolina team the year they went 7-8-1 almost to a T in many areas (OL, WR, CB #2).