Little known places you like

Another Fan

I was at the most southern point of New York State recently in Tottenville Staten Island.  Nice place.  There’s a beach and park there and usually no one really around.  Being the state extends out to the Buffalo area, I thought that was pretty cool.  That’s my inner nerd talking.  

Anyone have any?  Try keeping it PG-13 well try..?

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I was at the most southern point of New York State recently in Tottenville Staten Island.  Nice place.  There’s a beach and park there and usually no one really around.  Being the state extends out to the Buffalo area, I thought that was pretty cool.  That’s my inner nerd talking.  

Anyone have any?  Try keeping it PG-13 well try..?

Carolina Beach, NC.

13 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A place we used to go hiking on Long Hill Road in Scipio Center, NY.  Was private posted land, but we never had any problems.  Two giant waterfalls and a beautiful swimming hole.  Did a lot of hallucinogens there.

How do you pronounce Scipio in Scipio Center?

Is the "c" silent or is it pronounced like a "k" sound?

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

In NYS? We were in Skaneateles this past week and will be heading back soon. What a cute little touristy town (that I dropped a chunk of change in while shopping)!

Skaneateles is very nice.  I’m from a neighboring town, Auburn (not nearly as nice).  We try to hit up Rosalie’s, The Sherwood, and Doug’s fish fry as much as possible.  I think the Clintons and Derek Jeter still have vacation homes there.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A place we used to go hiking on Long Hill Road in Scipio Center, NY.  Was private posted land, but we never had any problems.  Two giant waterfalls and a beautiful swimming hole.  Did a lot of hallucinogens there.

That sounds better than having popcorn thrown at your head in a movie theatre.

Au Train, MI in UP.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Upper+Peninsula+of+Michigan,+MI/@46.4340077,-86.8373684,14z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4d56df613f85348f:0x7d9881c7f307b3b8

The bridge on Highway 28 is about 20 or so feet high... Nice deep swimming hole that the locals go to... Jump off bridge into hole in channel... Sand all around!

Miners Falls, Munising, MI.  Bit of hike, not suppose to go in, but this is 2018, rules are to be broken?:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Upper+Peninsula+of+Michigan,+MI/@46.4737392,-86.5369395,15z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4d56df613f85348f:0x7d9881c7f307b3b8

Would do pics, but comprsessing down is a hassle.

EDIT: Links not zooming in.  Zoom in between Marquette and Munising for Au Train.  Miners is east of Munising.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Skaneateles is very nice.  I’m from a neighboring town, Auburn (not nearly as nice).  We try to hit up Rosalie’s, The Sherwood, and Doug’s fish fry as much as possible.  I think the Clintons and Derek Jeter still have vacation homes there.

We went to Doug’s Fish Fry when we were there! I was very good.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Nice! Hard to reach powder hound haven.

Shhhhh....

But I am on to you! HOPE nobody else is on to this too!  We can co-exist! ??

Ha Ha, not an easy place to find.  Most consistent snow in North America, at least from what I've personally seen.

14 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Telluride, CO

Grand Targhee, WY

Revelstoke, BC Canada

Targhee & Revy I'll give you, but Telluride is pretty well known, it's just a PITA to get there.  

Next time you are in SWCO, head to Silverton Mountain. 

There are countless "little known" backcountry in the West. If it's not in Backpacker or Outside, you're good to go. 

My #1 is a certain bar on the Mirror Lake Hwy in Utah. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Targhee & Revy I'll give you, but Telluride is pretty well known, it's just a PITA to get there.  

Next time you are in SWCO, head to Silverton Mountain. 

There are countless "little known" backcountry in the West. If it's not in Backpacker or Outside, you're good to go. 

My #1 is a certain bar on the Mirror Lake Hwy in Utah. 

Thanks for the nugget on Silverton.  I checked it out, looks amazing.  Would want a guide, though.

I threw Telluride out there as it isn't mentioned with Breck, Copper, Aspen, Vail, etc when talking about Colorado resorts.  Plus, Telluride is the most scenic resort I've been to; and yes, it was a major PITA to get to.  Fortunately, there are shuttles from Montrose, otherwise we wouldn't have found it.

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Thanks for the nugget on Silverton.  I checked it out, looks amazing.  Would want a guide, though.

I threw Telluride out there as it isn't mentioned with Breck, Copper, Aspen, Vail, etc when talking about Colorado resorts.  Plus, Telluride is the most scenic resort I've been to; and yes, it was a major PITA to get to.  Fortunately, there are shuttles from Montrose, otherwise we wouldn't have found it.

Yep, we've gone during guided season. It's worth every penny. You will  have to make your reservation in summer or fall. 

99% of runs require a 5-90 minute hike beyond the chairlift, so bring your A-game. The terrain is incredible. 

Telluride and Crested Butte are the two most scenic hills I've been too, with Silverton in third. 

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Ha Ha, not an easy place to find.  Most consistent snow in North America, at least from what I've personally seen.

Yep! Not all tracked up with crowds.

One way in and one way out.  They close the Teton Pass and area is drawing from Idaho or going all the way around.  On a normal day you are already skiinng all day untracked powder.  Not sure if it busier now, we were there in '89... And always said I'd get back... But never did.  My Son wants to do Jackson Hole... But I would push strongly for Targhee first!

Another is Pico over Killington. Classic cut New England trails.

Some additional "unknown" ski areas... 

Wolf Creek - not the best terrain (short pitches to flat), but they get a ton of snow and nobody goes there. We had a 14" pow day there a few years ago and there may have been a dozen people lined up for first chair, most of whom were in carharts. 

Powder Mtn - massive and spread out, great snow. They cap lift tickets and seasons pass purchases so it is never crowded. A good change of pace from the Cottonwood madness. 

Monarch Mtn - a bit small and short, but they get great snow and nobody skis the trees. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

48 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yep! Not all tracked up with crowds.

One way in and one way out.  They close the Teton Pass and area is drawing from Idaho or going all the way around.  On a normal day you are already skiinng all day untracked powder.  Not sure if it busier now, we were there in '89... And always said I'd get back... But never did.  My Son wants to do Jackson Hole... But I would push strongly for Targhee first!

Another is Pico over Killington. Classic cut New England trails.

Went to Targhee about three years ago; my brother and his wife went this past winter.  Sounds like it is busier than in '89, but there were still some untracked areas and minimal to no lift lines.  From what I've heard, they have recently added shuttles to Driggs, ID so you don't have to go to the Trap Bar every night.  There are also shuttles from JAC airport to Targhee.  Easy place to go on a last minute ski get away since at least one of the lodges will have availability.

Jackson Hole has some steep and challenging terrain (among the best I've seen anywhere), but it is more crowded, expensive, and not as laid back as Targhee.  So, yeah, I prefer Targhee; plus it gets more snow as it sits on the NW corner of the Tetons, vs Jackson Hole sitting on the SE portion.

Pico...I'll have to look that up.  Another New England resort I want to check out is Jay Peak; heard great things about it.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Went to Targhee about three years ago; my brother and his wife went this past winter.  Sounds like it is busier than in '89, but there were still some untracked areas and minimal to no lift lines.  From what I've heard, they have recently added shuttles to Driggs, ID so you don't have to go to the Trap Bar every night.  There are also shuttles from JAC airport to Targhee.  Easy place to go on a last minute ski get away since at least one of the lodges will have availability.

Jackson Hole has some steep and challenging terrain (among the best I've seen anywhere), but it is more crowded, expensive, and not as laid back as Targhee.  So, yeah, I prefer Targhee; plus it gets more snow as it sits on the NW corner of the Tetons, vs Jackson Hole sitting on the SE portion.

Pico...I'll have to look that up.  Another New England resort I want to check out is Jay Peak; heard great things about it.

Been to Jay numerous winters... Sister lives near in Enosburg Falls... Very nice, tucked away too, but can get crowded.  Strange thing, there is always a death there (or at least according to what my sister says)... Be careful, nice big, rugged. Tram can get packed though We were up there this one time, they packed us in... The effer stops at high point... One Dude, as we are all crammed together, inches away from each other's faces just says stoically: "Take a good look around, get to know who our leader will be!"  We bust into laughter. The one's that didn't?  They're climbing the roof first to get us unstuck.  LoL... The tram started moving 20 seconds later. Thank God!

Never left the state much when I first got here.  In fact I didn't leave at all for like 6 years.  So I explored it quite a bit.  There seem to be little fun places all over the country, though.

But, my favorite, is this little pond in South Carolina that is covered in water lillies that no one would know about except for people on the road.  I found it once chasing a rainbow. We found the end.  It was amazing. I actually have pictures.

Oh, yeah,. It's in Smyrna SC 

Edited by Boyst62

Curio Bay, New Zealand. - The very bottom of the South Island (Penguins, seals, dolphins, surfing and even a petrified forest all in the same place!)

Titikaveka on the island of Rarotonga. (Cook Islands.) - coral sand beach on a blue lagoon

Dog Mountain, Washington State, USA - Halfway up the Columbia River Gorge, on the Washington side.  Go in May to see one of the most amazing wild flower displays.