Sam Darnold Officially Named NYJ Starting QB

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Really? Not the preseason stats thing again.  He's certainly basing his opinion on many other factors. 

I like Darnold and he has looked fine, but that quote was certainly major hyperbole based on what he has shown so far.

Just now, SWATeam said:

I like Darnold and he has looked fine, but that quote was certainly major hyperbole based on what he has shown so far.

He put himself out there with a strong opinion and he acknowledged that he's been wrong before as he could be this time.  I wouldn't call that hyperbole at all.   At any rate, we shall see. 

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Really? Not the preseason stats thing again.  He's certainly basing his opinion on many other factors. 

Considering the time stamp, I'm assuming he was talking about the game tonight.  Not sure what else he could be talking about, unless he's talking about practices, which count for little.

Just now, Doc said:

Considering the time stamp, I'm assuming he was talking about the game tonight.  Not sure what else he could be talking about, unless he's talking about practices, which count for little.

He wasn't basing it on statistics such as YPA is the point regardless of whether it's tonight or the entire preseason.   

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He wasn't basing it on statistics such as YPA is the point regardless of whether it's tonight or the entire preseason.   

Then what was he basing it on?  The nebulous "it" factor?

Darnold when in rythm is dangerous, he gets it out quick. However, when he holds the ball, it seems like he does know what to really do, especially when pressured. He’s made some nice runs this preseason when pressure but haven’t seen the wow throw. When decisive with the ball, he could be the next garapallo, if not it looks like a Pennington clone. Hell Trent looked good until defenses squated on those short throws and was pitied after that. Just to be clear Darnold is 100 times the prospect of Trent 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Both.  And just watched YouTube video of every throw of his tonight.

I like him.  Shows good accuracy- especially on the move.  Really nice footwork as well.

But to say that- "I can't see how anyone could watch Sam Darnold and not think he's going to be a gigantic star" is silly based on what he has shown so far.  I'd say he has intriguing potential.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/18/2018 at 7:19 PM, KellyToTasker said:

At least Bridgewater is showcasing himself for another opportunity.

The problem for the Jets and Bridgewater at the moment is the market for a high priced starting QB is slim.  Almost every team in the NFL is either settled on a starter they like.  The main exception is Buffalo, and I think Buffalo is content with what they have on the roster (a future star - they hope, and a couple guys who can - they believe - win games with a good supporting cast).  Nobody is going to give up a high draft pick for a backup, and nobody will want to pay a high price to replace someone they like as a starter and has the advantage of having been with the team through training camp.  The Jets are either going to have to accept a trade for less than they think Bridgewater is worth, or hold on to him and hope somebody's starter goes down leaving the team with a backup that they really don't like.

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

The problem for the Jets and Bridgewater at the moment is the market for a high priced starting QB is slim.  Almost every team in the NFL is either settled on a starter they like.  The main exception is Buffalo, and I think Buffalo is content with what they have on the roster (a future star - they hope, and a couple guys who can - they believe - win games with a good supporting cast).  Nobody is going to give up a high draft pick for a backup, and nobody will want to pay a high price to replace someone they like as a starter and has the advantage of having been with the team through training camp.  The Jets are either going to have to accept a trade for less than they think Bridgewater is worth, or hold on to him and hope somebody's starter goes down leaving the team with a backup that they really don't like.

THey should just hold onto Bridgewater for now.....

5 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I see a lot of Phillip Rivers in him.  The awkward delivery that somehow works.  The good, but not great arm.  A pocket passer that relies on timing.  A bit more athletic and not quite as vocal as Rivers.  Both are good leaders though from everything I've heard.  I think he'll have a similar career.

• Like (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sam Darnold Looking Like the NYJ Starting QB

He looks accurate and he can read defenses. I'm still waiting to see if he can stretch the field. He made a few rookie mistakes and hasn't made any wow plays yet. His near-interception on 3rd down was very similar to the interception he threw last week. Teams will sit on the short throws in the regular season and Darnold will have to show them he can beat that.

I see all the top 4 QBs as 50/50 shots to make it and they all still have something to prove. Darnold needs to prove he can stretch the field. Mayfield needs to prove he can look past his first read. Rosen needs to prove he can handle adversity. Allen needs to prove he can be consistent.

Edited by HappyDays

I'm a USC fan and it kills me the Jets got him.  He had a bad year with turnovers last year but I think he is going to be a great player for them for the next decade.  We just need to hope Josh Allen is the guy for us and it won't matter.  Darnold will make turnovers but I don't think it'll be as bad as he was last year.  Coaching will improve him. I think it's going to be the Allen/Darnold era when Brady hangs em up soon!  GO BILLS (from So. Cal)!!

36 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Russell Wilson just threw 11 for 21...are you wishfully thinking?

...LOL....the "fickle get fickler"....the once coveted Russell who we ignored for the Graham Cracker would be on "the outs now"....imagine if Peyton or Aikman as rooks (Peyton was 3-13; Troy was 1-15) started their careers in Bflo?....the GoFundMe pages for Trailways tickets outta town would have blown away Dalton's tally.....TBD's "One & Done Gang" is brutal.....Allen, Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, etc have a long way to go........haven't even started to cut teeth or crawl at this level despite MB pundnuts......read an article way back when Kaep was allegedly hitting his stride....off season piece probably 20+ games into his career.....author interviewed NFL exec (not named) who said "50 games was the benchmark for critical assessment and analysis".....sound like TBD'ers NEVER got the memo.....?

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick hates the Buffalo Bills.

New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belkichick does not hate the New York Jets.

When Belichick and Brady ride off into the sunset I expect that the NE Patriots will have done everything in their power to ensure that the Buffalo Bills do not succeed.

Just my 2 cents.

On 8/25/2018 at 1:30 AM, Doc Brown said:

I see a lot of Phillip Rivers in him.  The awkward delivery that somehow works.  The good, but not great arm.  A pocket passer that relies on timing.  A bit more athletic and not quite as vocal as Rivers.  Both are good leaders though from everything I've heard.  I think he'll have a similar career.

That's a fair comparison. 

I always thought Rivers had a goofy throwing motion.  Glad to see it wasn't just me.  

On 8/18/2018 at 6:54 PM, aristocrat said:

14 tds 13 picks. 5 fumbles lost. He’s gonna be a turnover machine 

If you are going to take box score stats and project those out to how a guy will do in the pros......errr......uh......nevermind.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sam Darnold Officially Named NYJ Starting QB
On 8/27/2018 at 7:25 AM, PearlHowardman said:

New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belkichick does not hate the New York Jets.

When Belichick and Brady ride off into the sunset I expect that the NE Patriots will have done everything in their power to ensure that the Buffalo Bills do not succeed.

Just my 2 cents.

Belichick hates the Jets with a passion. He refused to even mention them by name when talking about Romeo Crennel. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/bill-belichick-angry-talk-jets-article-1.3425769

remember, he also resigned from the Jets coaching job after 24hrs. 

And the Jets were the ones who blew him in for SpyGate (Eric Mangini was the one who turned him in for secretly taping the Jets). 

I have little doubt that he hates the Jets more than he hates the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/18/2018 at 6:05 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

No surprise there. He was one of the most talented & pro-ready QB's already, and someone I think the Bills would've snatched up had the Jets not pulled off that trade to move ahead of us to #3. Let's just hope he has a typical rough rookie year, as the following season & beyond he could turn into a beast.

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

No surprise there. He was one of the most talented & pro-ready QB's already, and someone I think the Bills would've snatched up had the Jets not pulled off that trade to move ahead of us to #3. Let's just hope he has a typical rough rookie year, as the following season & beyond he could turn into a beast.

I just hope we don’t regret not getting to 3 or even 2 for the next 15 years....

On 8/27/2018 at 6:25 AM, PearlHowardman said:

Just my 2 cents.

Bill Belichick doesn't hate the Bills. He probably sees us as an unofficial bye week if anything.

However, he definitely hates the Jets. There's a pretty bitter history there, from Spygate & Eric Mangini to those Rex Ryan lead Jet's teams. Hell, he even got hired there & quit just 4 hours after his first press conference being anointed the successor to Parcells. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, zevo said:

I just hope we don’t regret not getting to 3 or even 2 for the next 15 years....

I don’t really know that it was ever a realistic scenario. 

Colts GM wasn’t willing to fall back to #12. The reason he traded with the Jets was because he could still land the player the truly wanted at #6. 

This was confirmed non draft night when he was once again unwilling to trade back from #6 with the Bills. 

And from the rumors, the Giants were unwilling to trade back from #2.

There was even a rumor that they may have refused three 1st round picks. 

IMO The only chance would have been if the Browns were willing to trade back from #4. The Bills would’ve had to trade to #12. Then from #12 to #4, and then trade up again from #4 to #2. That doesn’t sound very realistic to me. 

I feel ok about Darnold even if he turn into a star because I feel like we never had a legit chance at him. 

Now the teams that will be kicking themselves are the Browns (if Mayfield doesn’t turn out as good/better) and the Giants, who passed on him and put their faith in a declining 36yr old Eli. 

Thise are also the 2 teams that I will blame as a Bills fan... I’d have much rather the Jets got Mayfield vs Darnold... but I’m not as sold on Mayfield as others were/are. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don’t really know that it was ever a realistic scenario. 

Colts GM wasn’t willing to fall back to #12. The reason he traded with the Jets was because he could still land the player the truly wanted at #6. 

This was confirmed non draft night when he was once again unwilling to trade back from #6 with the Bills. 

And from the rumors, the Giants were unwilling to trade back from #2.

There was even a rumor that they may have refused three 1st round picks. 

IMO The only chance would have been if the Browns were willing to trade back from #4. The Bills would’ve had to trade to #12. Then from #12 to #4, and then trade up again from #4 to #2. That doesn’t sound very realistic to me. 

I feel ok about Darnold even if he turn into a star because I feel like we never had a legit chance at him. 

Now the teams that will be kicking themselves are the Browns (if Mayfield doesn’t turn out as good/better) and the Giants, who passed on him and put their faith in a declining 36yr old Eli. 

Thise are also the 2 teams that I will blame as a Bills fan... I’d have much rather the Jets got Mayfield vs Darnold... but I’m not as sold on Mayfield as others were/are. 

I agree with this mostly, although I liked Mayfield. Anyway, the Bills weren’t getting to 3 or higher in all likelihood. If Allen doesn’t pan out in three years, they’ll draft another guy. That’s the beauty of the rookie cap. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1