Slide Rule Change..Bigger then the helmet rule?

plenzmd1

Just read this on PFT..first i have heard of it. Man, this could be big. Diving head first now is the same as feet first..ball dead at point of start of dive/slide. Does this leadto QB's having to take more hits? How about QB sneaks..is that a slide forward? This could decide a game early, be interesting to see how it is enforced.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/04/nfl-rules-will-now-treat-head-first-dives-like-feet-first-slides/

So basically the QB, in an effort to promote safety, now must allow themselves to get lit the **** up while staying upright instead of diving for a first down/touchdown.  

The NFL is going to be a mess this year.  

• Sad 1

Suggest everybody read the rule as highlighted in the PFT article.  It states that a player is down where he hits the ground, not where he initiated the dive.  The rule is designed to stop defenders from diving at a runner when he dives head first to prevent him from gaining any additional yardage.  Therefore, any runner who dives for the endzone will be down where he hits the ground period.  If he hits the ground in the endzone its a td.  If he hits the ground before the goalline, thats where the ball will be spotted.

Again, the rule does not say that the ball will be spotted where the dive begins, but rather at the first point of contact with the ground.  Sounds like a non issue to me.  

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, bobm said:

Suggest everybody read the rule as highlighted in the PFT article.  It states that a player is down where he hits the ground, not where he initiated the dive.  The rule is designed to stop defenders from diving at a runner when he dives head first to prevent him from gaining any additional yardage.  Therefore, any runner who dives for the endzone will be down where he hits the ground period.  If he hits the ground in the endzone its a td.  If he hits the ground before the goalline, thats where the ball will be spotted.

Again, the rule does not say that the ball will be spotted where the dive begins, but rather at the first point of contact with the ground.  Sounds like a non issue to me.  

Did you read the whole article?

Even at the end it states:

Interesting indeed: Imagine it’s fourth-and-goal in the final seconds of the game, a quarterback whose team trails by five points drops back to pass, then sees an opening in the middle of the field, runs toward the end zone, and just as a linebacker approaches at the 1-yard line the quarterback dives head-first into the end zone. That won’t be a game-winning touchdown anymore. It will be the quarterback giving himself up at the 1-yard line. The first time that happens, there’s going to be outrage from players, coaches and fans of the losing team.

This will definitely be interesting to see how the league truly enforces this rule. Because the way the Article explains, the minute a player leaves his feet, his forward progress stops.

However, I believe the interesting part of the online rule is :

as long as he gives himself up

So what defines "giving oneself up"?

I guess it is more directed at the awkward forward falls then the true head first dives

Edited by rsxfirefighter
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

This should be the same for all players then.

The NFL is a mess. Like, worse than Carrot Tops hair.

It is the same for all players.  Applies to anyone running with the ball.

1 minute ago, rsxfirefighter said:

Did you read the whole article?

Even at the end it states:

This will definitely be interesting to see how the league truly enforces this rule. Because the way the Article explains, the minute a player leaves his feet, his forward progress stops.

Yes, the article is totally wrong when you look at the actual rule.  Whoever wrote that article in PFT  highlighted the rule verbage and then interprets it incorrectly.

Click on the link in the 3rd paragraphof the PFT article where it states "does not have to slide feet first".  Then look at the explanation of the change.

6 minutes ago, Original Byrd Man said:

Do you remember slide rules? Lol

When i was young, I know kids in college were using them.  I remember the first "calculator" my family bought.  A Royal Litton than did only basic math.  Might have even been called an "adding machine" still back then.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

This is a strange rule.  Sounds like there are going to be either TDs that are called short and/or hits that are going to result in penalties.

I guess it comes down to how they determine the runner "giving themselves up".

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

So basically the QB, in an effort to promote safety, now must allow themselves to get lit the **** up while staying upright instead of diving for a first down/touchdown.  

The NFL is going to be a mess this year.  

Many more long replays with conclusions unsupported by what they just showed us a dozen times.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I see the same image every time I read the thread title.  We're both dating ourselves, WEO

I too was wondering what an actual slide rule had to do with the helmet rule.  I need a beer.

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I see the same image every time I read the thread title.  We're both dating ourselves, WEO

You and WEO are dating? I didn’t see that coming. 

Edited by Augie

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Stupid, and really unenforceable.  4th and goal at the goal line, the player dives into the end zone, but wait!  He gave himself up at the 1, no TD!  Ridiculous-ass rule.

I doubt the rule would be enforced in that manner.

This sounds like it is intended for a situation where the QB is giving himself up.  Now he can do that sliding feet first or head first. No big deal.

A QB sneak with Brady diving over the top for a first down or TD (his favorite play) is not giving yourself up and the ball would be marked at point of forward progress.

At least that's how I assume this will be handled.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why change it?

Image result for slide rule

I was the leading salesman nationally. That was my hay day! King of the world, I tell you!

I should have invented the internet like Al Gore.... I let the world pass me by....

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

When i was young, I know kids in college were using them.  I remember the first "calculator" my family bought.  A Royal Litton than did only basic math.  Might have even been called an "adding machine" still back then.

Abacus....

21 hours ago, bobm said:

Sounds like a cluster to me. More and more game changing decisions in the hands of an already bad ref and replay situation. 

Edited by Green Lightning

23 hours ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

It's one of Kelso's favorite complaints, and I am coming to agree---if the QB can't be hit when he chooses to stop running (subjective call), why is he allowed to run at all?

I think that's a stupid complaint. You know defensive players would love to take an extra hard shot at the QB. It's for the safety of the QB, minimize the risk of injury is ok with me.