Top 5 Favorite Albums

This is very tough.  No way I could strip it down to absolute Top 5, but this grouping would be one permutation for sure.

I couldn't imagine the world without the music from these 5 albums; I listen to it all, all the time, and this is some of my absolute favorite music.  

Led Zeppelin I

Led Zeppelin II

Led Zeppelin IV or "Zoso"

Miles Davis Kind of Blue

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon

55 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Led Zeppelin I

Led Zeppelin II

Pink Floyd Animals

We should be friends........

I just got a set of Sony studio monitor headphones and GOOD LORD, listening to vinyl through those is a life changing experience. Rolling Stones' Let It Bleed is just ridiculous. There's sound coming from about 8 different angles.

Edited by Seasons1992
Because I needed to tell everyone something else......

I have a hard enough time deciding my favorite 5 Radiohead albums

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

This is very tough.  No way I could strip it down to absolute Top 5, but this grouping would be one permutation for sure.

I couldn't imagine the world without the music from these 5 albums; I listen to it all, all the time, and this is some of my absolute favorite music.  

Led Zeppelin I

Led Zeppelin II

Miles Davis Kind of Blue

Kind of Blue is an incredible album.  I have been on a big Bitches Brew kick.  That's an amazing session!

I couldn't possibly come up with my top 5 favorite albums, just too much to love. 5 that stick out off the top of my head:

Zeppelin/IV: overplayed it and at times convinced myself that they made better albums. This is still their best. Maybe the best rock album of all time.

The Who/Quadrophenia:  for some reason I never get tired of this album. Ever.

Aerosmith/Rocks: wish I had seen them back in the day (on or before Live Bootleg)

Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols: defined a genre, I would have a hard time keeping this off my top 5 list

Janes Addiction/Strays: an instant classic the first time I heard it

• Like (+1) 1

Zep 2

Definitely Maybe 

Sticky Fingers

Electric Ladyland 

Everybody knows this is no where  

I wanted to add that I think abbey road is terribly overrated, asides from Johns songs and here comes the sun. Rubber soul/revolver/sgt/and white album all beat it 

Edited by GETTOTHE50

Ask me this question next week, you might get a different answer.  Some of the music I listened to in the 70s I can no longer tolerate.  These five are still valid almost anytime.

Bob Dylan,  'Blood on the Tracks'

The Who,  'Who's Next'

Dire Straits,  'Brothers in Arms'

George Thorogood,  'George Thorogood and the Destroyers'

Talking Heads,  'The Best of Talking Heads'

That being said, if I want to get work done, I'll tune in Stingray on the cable / satellite and play baroque music.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

Too many to pick from.

These  are the ones that wore out the turntable back in the day.

Welcome Back My Friends.....ELP

Yessongs... Yes

Led Zeppelin 2

Selling England By the Pound.. Genesis

Chicago IV

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

Animals???? 

You sit there moping for the 120th time with this?

What are the best songs of all time on Animals you can’t get enough of.... 

The whole album, thank you. Dogs, Pigs, Sheep. Plus the Battersea power plant on the cover with the tethered pig to the roof? It's awesome.

Adding to a couple others above: I bought Sticky Fingers on vinyl yesterday and yeah it's up there. Also researched Quadrophenia, $41 for a new copy which isn't that bad. Both are certainly favorites. 

11 hours ago, Bills4everNY said:

Stones: Some Girls

The Clash: London Calling

Frank Zappa: Sheik Yerbouti

Cheap Trick: Heaven Tonight

Elvis Costello and The Attractions: Armed Forces

Probably their last great album before they started phoning it in, from the studio at least. Far Away Eyes is probably one of my favorite country songs ever. Probably my favorite Stones song.

I wouldn’t say these are the best (other than Bollocks), but these are my favs this morning looking thru the albums on my phone:

Never Mind The Bollocks, Here’s The Sex Pistols

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Stones - Black And Blue

Dylan - Street Legal

LZ - Physical Graffiti

Blind Melon - Blind Melon

Abbey Road

Duane Allman Anthology Vol 1

Led Zeppelin III (just because so many already said II and I never understood why III always gets the shaft - come on - Immigrant song, out on the tiles, since i've been loving you, that's the way...and the rest.  So.  Damn.  Good.)

Van Morrison Moondance

Edited by Mark80

26 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Alice In Chains - Jar of Flies

Primus - Frizzle Fry

Mad Season - Live at the Moore

Pink Floyd - Animals

Rage Against the Machine - Self Titled

Jar of Flies is my favorite AIC album.  That was in heavy rotation for a long while.  And Mad Season is incredible.  I am looking for that on vinyl.  There is no band as powerful as Rage IMO.  Good choices my man.  May 10 is my birthday.  And May Day is to be celebrated!

37 minutes ago, Pete said:

Jar of Flies is my favorite AIC album.  That was in heavy rotation for a long while.  And Mad Season is incredible.  I am looking for that on vinyl.  There is no band as powerful as Rage IMO.  Good choices my man.  May 10 is my birthday.  And May Day is to be celebrated!

Have Jar of Flies and Live at the Moore on vinyl.  Added bonus, Jar of Flies comes with Sap too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

Blind Melon - Blind Melon

Abbey Road

Duane Allman Anthology Vol 1

Led Zeppelin III (just because so many already said II and I never understood why III always gets the shaft - come on - Immigrant song, out on the tiles, since i've been loving you, that's the way...and the rest.  So.  Damn.  Good.)

Van Morrison Moondance

Zeppelin I-IV are their finest work.  Houses of the Holy is OK, and it was all downhill after that.  

Of the first four albums that form the backbone of their work, III is easily the weakest.

I guess that's why it tends to get passed over.

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Zeppelin I-IV are their finest work.  Houses of the Holy is OK, and it was all downhill after that.  

Of the first four albums that form the backbone of their work, III is easily the weakest.

I guess that's why it tends to get passed over.

Agree 100% on your first point.  Disagree on the second...but it's sort of like saying it's the slowest sprinter on the Jamaican 4x100m relay though.  All of them are pretty damn fast!  I actually rank them II, III, IV, I personally.  But all are phenomenal. 

Edited by Mark80

14 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Have Jar of Flies and Live at the Moore on vinyl.  Added bonus, Jar of Flies comes with Sap too.

you are yet another gentleman with fantastic taste in music and football teams.  Vinyl is where it's at IMO

Edited by Pete

14 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Agree 100% on your first point.  Disagree on the second...but it's sort of like saying it's the slowest sprinter on the Jamaican 4x100m relay though.  All of them are pretty damn fast!  I actually rank them II, III, IV, I personally.  But all are phenomenal. 

Switch 1 with 3. But yeah, no matter how you rank em, their first four are easily their best.

6 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Meddle is also very good.  It would be tough to decide between the two for me.  Deciding my top 5 favorite albums is an exercise in futility.  I tried.

100% Meddle is great.

As I currently listen to Dark Side on headphones, we enjoy an amazing album like NEVER before.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Mark80 said:

15 hours ago, Pete said:

haha.

I love the unplugged the best, but its more of a greatest hits.... but man, its a masterpiece (cant believe Cantrell had food poisoning).  Of their albums though, yes.  Jar of Flies.  I need to get that on vinyl.  I do have the Live at the Moore and listen to it more than I should.

Also, re: Rage.  This guy kills me

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is REALLY hard. I would have an easier time coming up with a top 20 or 25. 5 is restrictive, but here goes...

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Waylon Jennings - Ladies Love Outlaws

Paul Simon - Graceland

Metallica - Kill 'em All

Hon. Mention... Michael Jackson - Off the Wall

Can't believe I just made a top 5 with no Hanks... But when I really think of it as 5 albums I can't live without, it's those 5.

Best country voice of all time!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

This is REALLY hard. I would have an easier time coming up with a top 20 or 25. 5 is restrictive, but here goes...

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Waylon Jennings - Ladies Love Outlaws

Paul Simon - Graceland

Metallica - Kill 'em All

Been going through a huge Waylon phase lately. Just found out that his original touring band is still together. Sometimes they tour with Shooter (who's good, but absolutely nothing like his dad), or Jessie and a Waylon impersonator. Of course there's only one Waylon, but if they ever come near me, it'll be the closest I'll get in this lifetime. 

Also, saw a Floyd tribute a few weeks ago that started their show playing Dark Side in it's entirety. Going to see another one next week that's doing The Wall. 

16 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Been going through a huge Waylon phase lately. Just found out that his original touring band is still together. Sometimes they tour with Shooter (who's good, but absolutely nothing like his dad), or Jessie and a Waylon impersonator. Of course there's only one Waylon, but if they ever come near me, it'll be the closest I'll get in this lifetime. 

Also, saw a Floyd tribute a few weeks ago that started their show playing Dark Side in it's entirety. Going to see another one next week that's doing The Wall. 

I would go see a Waylon "impersonator" or cover band. Waylon is my favorite even among the giants like Hank and Cash.

I found a British pressing of Ladies Love Oitlaws and it is easily my best quality country vinyl. What an amazing press it is, and what a great tracklist. It's a toss up for me whether I like Ladies Love Outlaws as much as Lonesome, On'ry, and Mean but my copy of that kinda sucks so I listen to the better quality albums more.

Also a big fan of Cedartown Georgia, Always Been Crazy, and Are You Ready for the Country. I guess now I'm just listing Waylon albums lol. Love this guys music.

I saw the Pink Floyd Experience at the Smith Opera House in Geneva about 10 years ago and it was awesome. Almost as good as Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes the next weekend...

17 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I would go see a Waylon "impersonator" or cover band. Waylon is my favorite even among the giants like Hank and Cash.

I found a British pressing of Ladies Love Oitlaws and it is easily my best quality country vinyl. What an amazing press it is, and what a great tracklist. It's a toss up for me whether I like Ladies Love Outlaws as much as Lonesome, On'ry, and Mean but my copy of that kinda sucks so I listen to the better quality albums more.

Also a big fan of Cedartown Georgia, Always Been Crazy, and Are You Ready for the Country. I guess now I'm just listing Waylon albums lol. Love this guys music.

I saw the Pink Floyd Experience at the Smith Opera House in Geneva about 10 years ago and it was awesome. Almost as good as Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes the next weekend...

Actually, about three months ago I went to see a local Pink Floyd Tribute Band, who played all of Dark Side. They were good. I even got my first writing piece to be officially published out of it Then a week later I got free tickets to a different Floyd tribute, who did all of Wish You were Here. The one I'm seeing a week from today is a group called Classic Albums Live. They tour the country, and do a different full album, and usually a few greatest hits, of different artists. The Wall should be great, doubt they'll do much if anything else after being that it's such a long album.  

If I had to rank my top 5 country artists it'd be

1. Waylon
  2. Willie
  3. Hank Sr
  4. Cash
  5. Charlie Daniels

For my birthday in June my fiance got me a Johnny Cash hat, a Waylon Jennings car decal, a shirt that says "Waylon, Willie, Merle, Hank, Johnny" and a Willie Nelson ticket. Best gift I've gotten in a long time.

Cool subject. Pretty tough just because of the different phases one goes through in life, but here’s my drunken answer on a Friday night. First 4 probably wouldn’t change no matter what

Tool: Aenima

Floyd: Darkside

Alice In Chains: unplugged/mtv

Tool: Lateralus 

Eminem: Marshall Mathers LP (had to throw one rap in there)

Honorable mention: 

Linkin Park: Hybrid Theory 

Tupac/Makeveli: the don kilumanati  

Green Day: dookie 

Korn: follow the leader 

The offspring: smash 

Edited by billsfanmiami(oh)
  • Like (+1) 1