Terrell Owens Declined His Invitation to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm equal opportunities.  They are both douches.  

I'm with you.

I do believe that T.O. has every right to be upset about not being a first-ballot HOFer.  He should have been, hands down.

I disagree with how he's choosing to show the world how unhappy he is.  I think it's selfish and it's immature. 

I also think that it's a once in a lifetime experience and he would be an absolute ass to not attend.  He'll regret it for the rest of his life and I don't wish that on him.  He earned the right to stand at that podium and to tell his story. 

He's a smart enough man to use that time to express the feelings he had during his too-long wait to get in - and to do so in a professional, well-spoken manner.

To me, that would make him the bigger person. 

Yes - he was a dick as a teammate.  Yes - he's always been an attention whore.

But those responsible for keeping him out as long as they did are also dicks, in my opinion.  Those people showed T.O. what they felt about him using the best tool at their disposal - the vote. 

Now he has a chance to use the best tool at his disposal - the podium.  Where all eyes and ears are on him - which is what he loves.  I hope he does that.  I want to hear what he has to say and I want him to be able to go to the grave knowing that he was one of very few people in the world who had the chance to do it.

I'll end with this - he was a great teammate and a great player during his short Bills tenure and I was sad to see him go.

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Is he the first guy who thought he was first ballot, but wasn’t for some reason? How may of them passed on the ceremony? This is largely on him. Stay home, I don’t want to hear you talk about you anymore anyway. 

Image result for terrell owens crying picture

A theory emerges on T.O.’s decision to skip Canton

For the Hall of Famer, induction weekend can be an expensive proposition, with travel and lodging for multiple family members and friends, and the cost of a party commemorating the honor. As one source explained it, most Hall of Famers get financial support from the team with which they are most associated, or possibly from a sponsor.....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/a-theory-emerges-on-to’s-decision-to-skip-canton/ar-AAyn3Gj?ocid=spartanntp

10 hours ago, purple haze said:

The Hall of Fame is supposed to be about on field accomplishments, nothing else.  His numbers say he's a first ballot guy.  He's never been arrested or in any legal trouble.  Folks reaction to him is way over the top.

Get your head out of the sand.  Tell that to the Baseball Hall of Fame. 

I'm thinking you all need to read the selection process. Who else was eligible the last couple of years? Why is TO better than some of the other position players that were eligible the last few years? Usually first ballot electees are usually considered the best of all time type of players. TO is really a best of all time type of player that you think of in the same breath as a Dick Butkus, Johnny Unitas, Peyton Manning, or from other sports Chipper Jones, Hank Aaron, Sandy Kofax and the like? If I'm a homer then I'm a proud one.

http://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/selection-process-faq/

Edited by JackKemp

56 minutes ago, JackKemp said:

I'm thinking you all need to read the selection process. Who else was eligible the last couple of years? Why is TO better than some of the other position players that were eligible the last few years? Usually first ballot electees are usually considered the best of all time type of players. TO is really a best of all time type of player that you think of in the same breath as a Dick Butkus, Johnny Unitas, Peyton Manning, or from other sports Chipper Jones, Hank Aaron, Sandy Kofax and the like? If I'm a homer then I'm a proud one.

no, TO is not remotely close to a Unitas or Butkus or Koufax.

1 hour ago, JackKemp said:

The Class of 2016 consists of owner Edward DeBartolo, Jr., coach Tony Dungy, quarterback Brett Favre, linebacker/defensive end Kevin Greene, wide receiver Marvin Harrison, tackle Orlando Pace, quarterback Ken Stabler, and guard Dick Stanfel.

The Class of 2017 consists of kicker Morten Andersen; running back Terrell Davis; safety Kenny Easley; owner, president and general manager Jerry Jones; defensive end Jason Taylor; running back LaDainian Tomlinson; and quarterback Kurt Warner.

You need to look at the process yourself as well.

In his first year of 2016 he was absolutely better than the other wr who got in, Marvin Harrison, and was more deserving than all the bold names I highlighted in both years, and arguments could be made for others I didn't as well.

You cannot honestly tell me you think Marvin should have been in ahead of him.

He's top#3-5 all time wr, so yes, I do put his on field performance with those names you listed.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

The Class of 2016 consists of owner Edward DeBartolo, Jr., coach Tony Dungy, quarterback Brett Favre, linebacker/defensive end Kevin Greene, wide receiver Marvin Harrison, tackle Orlando Pace, quarterback Ken Stabler, and guard Dick Stanfel.

The Class of 2017 consists of kicker Morten Andersen; running back Terrell Davis; safety Kenny Easley; owner, president and general manager Jerry Jones; defensive end Jason Taylor; running back LaDainian Tomlinson; and quarterback Kurt Warner.

You need to look at the process yourself as well.

In his first year of 2016 he was absolutely better than the other wr who got in, Marvin Harrison, and was more deserving than all the bold names I highlighted in both years, and arguments could be made for others I didn't as well.

You cannot honestly tell me you think Marvin should have been in ahead of him.

He's top#3-5 all time wr, so yes, I do put his on field performance with those names you listed.

But how many were first time ballot inductees from those two years? Educate me.

Personally I think the HOF should now turn around and rescind their induction for him. Sorry TO, we only want to indict people who appreciate getting inducted and want to be here

The guy is a self centered narcissist, instead of being grateful and happy to get in, he throws a tempertantrum because it took 2 extra years to make it in? Why does that even matter? Does he get a shinier plaque in a separate wing for making it in on the first ballot? In 50 years are people going to question who he is when they see his bust there because it took 2 extra years? Maybe instead of worrying that you didnt make it in on the first try, just enjoy that you are in and make the most out of being there. But his ego takes it as a major insult/slap in the face because they didnt out him in on the first time. Even if they did he probably would have viewed it as an insult if others were inducted at the same time as him and it wasn't just an induction ceremony for him

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think this is a huge point - if you have listened in the past - these guys have a surrogate that stands up and goes over their accomplishments and what makes them Hall of Fame worthy.  TO was a selfish prick as a player - so who is standing up making that passionate plea to get him elected.  

Stats are are a huge part, but it also matters how you were respected as a player and how your play impacted others on the field. 

A first ballot HOF not only had to be great, but needs great support from others to get the ground swell of support going.  

The NFL also limits the number of entries and sometimes as in TO’s case there are other worthy people at your position that deserve to be in also.

This is TO’s decision and I respect that, but it also totally reinforces the me-ness he displayed as a player and why he did not have the respect as a player he could have gotten.  

....I'd bet Montana, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Mooch & Eddie DeBartolo would attend for starters....not a bad lineup.....and Eddie as the former Owner of the "Niners Family" could be his presenter.....cannot deny the guy's accomplishments, but he's returning the "delayed snub" to the voters......take the high road like Thurmal, Andre, Jerry Kramer, etc did......

49 minutes ago, JackKemp said:

But how many were first time ballot inductees from those two years? Educate me.

Here is your education:

DE
Dolphins
Jason Taylor
RB
Chargers
LaDainian Tomlinson

Owens was better than both.

Educated.

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/7/2018 at 1:22 PM, JackKemp said:

How many of you think TO is more worthy than Andre Reed? I say no and Andre wasn’t first ballot. TO is just being TO. 

uhhhhh dude TO has the stats only bested by 1. Jerry Rice and 2. Randy Moss . Only us Bills fans would even consider it lol

Edited by Rad Likes The Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Personally I think the HOF should now turn around and rescind their induction for him. Sorry TO, we only want to indict people who appreciate getting inducted and want to be here

The guy is a self centered narcissist, instead of being grateful and happy to get in, he throws a tempertantrum because it took 2 extra years to make it in? Why does that even matter? Does he get a shinier plaque in a separate wing for making it in on the first ballot? In 50 years are people going to question who he is when they see his bust there because it took 2 extra years? Maybe instead of worrying that you didnt make it in on the first try, just enjoy that you are in and make the most out of being there. But his ego takes it as a major insult/slap in the face because they didnt out him in on the first time. Even if they did he probably would have viewed it as an insult if others were inducted at the same time as him and it wasn't just an induction ceremony for him

You may not follow a lot of hall of fame discussion or commentary, but yes, for better or worse, first ballot hall of famers are looked upon differently than those who got in after multiple years of eligibility. Do I agree with that? No, but a distinction is made by plenty of opinion makers, media members, voters and, consequently, fans.

So it does matter that TO was unfairly blackballed for a few years, because his body of work is on par with or (in most cases) better than the recent first ballot HOFers from his era.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....I'd bet Montana, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Mooch & Eddie DeBartolo would attend for starters....not a bad lineup.....and Eddie as the former Owner of the "Niners Family" could be his presenter.....cannot deny the guy's accomplishments, but he's returning the "delayed snub" to the voters......take the high road like Thurmal, Andre, Jerry Kramer, etc did......

It is not about who would attend- it was about as they are deciding on these guys - they each get one person that stands up in the little room and puts together a promo of why this guy is deserving.  

Typically it is a local sports media figure that presents all of his positive stats and the things he did as a player, awards, etc.  It is a huge deal and they talked about Larry Felser doing this for the 90’s Bills and the way he presented to the voters and the way he humanized the players helped get them votes.

TO had a contentious relationship with the media - I am sure someone put together his numbers and made a case, but if that person was not as passionate as other - it could cost him votes.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Limeaid said:

He WAS NOT (hence not always) an attention whore in Buffalo and that is all I care about.

I agree, Limeaid.  He was also not a bad teammate in Buffalo.

I've read articles that suggest a theory that it could be because to stay in Canton during the HOF proceedings with the hotel cost & bringing in family, friends & food that the it is quite costly & because TO has squandered basically most of the money he had made while in the NFL he can't afford to go !!

That just blows my mind that a guy that made that much cash can be broke if that is true ...

3 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

You may not follow a lot of hall of fame discussion or commentary, but yes, for better or worse, first ballot hall of famers are looked upon differently than those who got in after multiple years of eligibility. Do I agree with that? No, but a distinction is made by plenty of opinion makers, media members, voters and, consequently, fans.

So it does matter that TO was unfairly blackballed for a few years, because his body of work is on par with or (in most cases) better than the recent first ballot HOFers from his era.

Does he get a special place in the HOF? Does he get a $$$ bonus for it? Does he get a golder colored jacket then the rest? A crown? 

He gets nothing but a bigger ego because he can strut around and instead of referring to himself as a HOFer he can call himself a "first ballot HOFer".

No one outside of TO and maybe a few football nerds are going to think any differently of his career and enshrinement that he got in on his third try.

For a player who is being considered here by many as being g one of the "greatest of all time" he sure did bounce around the league alot.....

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nonsense. You vote for him based on career accomplishments.

Horrible comment from him.
Sounds needy. Like relationship needy. Those voters seem hormonal>

Heart broken even.

but yes , it is about on the field accomplishments. Thanks for the sad chuckle from me.

On 6/7/2018 at 1:31 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

You can't teach class, and clearly TO has none.  Great player, messed up human being.

You know hom well enough to call him a messed up human being? Aside from doing things you don't like, what has he done to be a messed up human being? Did he cut Nicole's head off or something?

17 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Does he get a special place in the HOF? Does he get a $$$ bonus for it? Does he get a golder colored jacket then the rest? A crown? 

He gets nothing but a bigger ego because he can strut around and instead of referring to himself as a HOFer he can call himself a "first ballot HOFer".

No one outside of TO and maybe a few football nerds are going to think any differently of his career and enshrinement that he got in on his third try.

For a player who is being considered here by many as being g one of the "greatest of all time" he sure did bounce around the league alot.....

Free ageny and $. Who cares if he bounced around. Follow the $.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But a worse teammate. 

I don't disagree.

He played his butt off always though, including the Superbowl on a broken leg.

1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

How was Owens better than LT?

He's a top5 receiver all time.

LT is not a top5 back, many don't even have him top10.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

LT is not a top5 back, many don't even have him top10.

Now you're just trolling. Go look at LT's stats, then try again. I'll bet you realize your foolishness and won't be back, though.

Edited by Golden Goat

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This guy should have his vote taken away.  What an idiot 

Seriously.  If anything it only proves t.o.'s point.  These voters play gatekeeper and think themselves to be far more important than they actually are. Jason Taylor is a first ballot hofer?  I think thats the craziest thing I learned in this thread! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Come on man don’t strawman me you’re better than that. No, he doesn’t get anything tangibly special for being a first ballot HOFer. What I am saying is the perception is that the honor is different. The voters feel that way, the media makes the distiction. It’s not just a few football nerds.

The perception that he “bounced around” the league is false. He spent 8 years in SF. He left for more money, which is his right. Functionally he basically played for 3 more teams after that, he was done after Buffalo for all intents and purposes.

3 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

Now you're just trolling. Go look at LT's stats, then try again. I'll bet you realize your foolishness and won't be back, though.

It's not foolishness

Brown 

Payton

Dickerson

Sanders

Smith

Marcus Allen

Oj

Prob a couple others

I like LT he's somewhere between 6-12

TO is like #3-5 on WRs

Has there EVER been anyone to decline attending the ceremony?

If not, this just wreaks of self centered, "boo-hoo," sour grapes.

Other members of the HOF have had to wait far longer. Others have felt disrespected. Others felt they deserved to be in, but had to wait due to petty reasons. All still attended the ceremony & were appreciative when they finally did get selected. Art Monk waited how many years before he was selected? He should've taken the opportunity to show he was humble, not further cement the idea that he was a selfish, ego-driven, "me-first" kind of guy.

But nope, he went the route that only highlighted what so many people already believed. Oh well, if that's how he wants to be remembered.

Edited by BigDingus

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

It's not foolishness

Brown 

Payton

Dickerson

Sanders

Smith

Marcus Allen

Oj

Prob a couple others

TO is like #3-5 on WRs

Your entire argument is, "According to... uh... people... TO was better." Until you look at the stats and start thinking for yourself, I have no use for you. Sorry.

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

It's not foolishness

Brown 

Payton

Dickerson

Sanders

Smith

Marcus Allen

Oj

Prob a couple others

TO is like #3-5 on WRs

After the Patriots-Chargers AFC Championship game, LT is not even close to being in the conversation.

• Like (+1) 1