How much difference does Edmunds' size and speed make?

Other than Chubb, I though Wdmunds was the best defensive fit in the draft for our team.  He’s so versatile and his size and length make him a different breed in coverage.  Can’t wait to see how he’s used. He should never leave the field

13 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Yeah, I think those grading the Bills draft as a "D" are doing so out of disdain for Allen.  If Allen pans out, this becomes an amazing draft for the Bills.

i think the 1st 3 picks are home runs....and we got a brand new incognito! i think it was an outstanding draft and other than wanting phillipps in the 2nd,  i had no clue how,who or when....and that's after spending months daydreaming of how the draft should go.

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Tweaked me good with the slide rule post.   I liked it.   (In my defense, I began the post by saying I wanted to quantify it because I was curious.   It's not like I didn't already know he was faster than Brown.)

I'd disagree with your assessment of Brown, but I haven't watched the All 22.  Brown seemed to me to be just a step or two out of position, not my-little-brother out of position.   

Someone else started talking abut 35-yard passes.   Most passes are shorther than that, and the 35 yard passes are typically to the sideline, and Edmunds won't be defending those.  I think where we'll see the difference is throws over the middle - QBs will learn that nothing's open over the middle, because Edmunds is standing right in the middle of the target area.  

I liked that you calculated it. But it was also funny at the same time.

Maybe Brown wasn't always so far behind. I only watched a few of the games on all 22 because I did the free trial. So matchups in different games would figure into it. Maybethe ones I saw were when he was against an especially speedy guy. And it wasn't just him. 

On the other hand, watching on TV, you can only see what they show you. I noticed that the networks do not go out of their way to show viewers the big mistakes. Or how some guy is just getting beat very badly all game.

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Other than Chubb, I though Wdmunds was the best defensive fit in the draft for our team.  He’s so versatile and his size and length make him a different breed in coverage.  Can’t wait to see how he’s used. He should never leave the field

hope to see him clothesline gronk.

13 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Edmunds is slightly faster in the 40. a little slower in the 20, so I'd guess their ability to drop is about the same.   Edmunds is two inches taller.   So I'd say that physically it's a push. 

Wrong, Kuechly wins a tie just based on his pure sexyness...

13 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Edmunds is slightly faster in the 40. a little slower in the 20, so I'd guess their ability to drop is about the same.   Edmunds is two inches taller.   So I'd say that physically it's a push. 

Instincts is what will separate them...Keuchly has tremendous instincts we have to see how Edmunds compare

12 hours ago, Logic said:

I don't know if people are quite prepared for how big a difference a star middle linebacker and a double-team eating DT will make in McDermott's defense. Seeing Carolina's defense over the years with Kuechly healthy vs the games where he was on the sideline for one reason or another...night and day. And then, additionally, the degree to which a mammoth nose tackle like Star can keep Edmunds clean and allow him to make plays. Boy oh boy, the Bills defense has a chance to be something special.

i'm really hoping mcd can light a fire under him. kyle's influence should help.

44 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He reminds me of Cornelious Bennett from a size and athletic standpoint. He's an exciting prospect who in a couple years or so should be a dynamic player. The only issue relates to his football instincts. Only time will tell on that issue.  

I can certainly understand that. I hope they line him up on the outside and just have him get after it now and then. So much less to know and worry about out there. But I think they want him to learn the middle and he’ll get a healthy dose of OTJT as a result. Ironically, as great as Bennett was on the edge, he could have been that much better in the middle given his speed and coverage ability. Too bad he bulked at that here but I understand why since MLB was not a glamour (read: money) position like a sack making OLB was back then and still is today for that matter.

6 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

it seems like they have a great transition happening. while i am going to miss kyle williams when he decides to retire, phillips seems like the perfect guy to step up in that role. and zo is a great mentor to the kids in the lb core, as well as the defense in general. these guys are the epitome of veteran leadership. i think this is the process.

i love zo and everyone including himself knows that this is most likely his last year, i think he is gonna ball out and get double digit sacks. then next year he can retire a bill and co host with john murphy.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Love his elite size/athleticism combination, but he’s very raw in terms of recognition. Poor angles and improper coverage drops will be an issue until he’s more seasoned. Yes, his athleticism will enable him to recover faster but that can be a double edged sword as teams can exploit that to get him out of position. We need to be patient during the growing pains but sky is the limit for him.

would love to see him blitz up the middle!

12 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Somewhere in Connecticut...

Mom, could you talk to dad?

Why. Is something wrong?

Well, he is doing his calculations again. And he has got out his slide rule and that mannequin. And well, my friends are coming over.

LOL -nice call - can see Shaw getting his poor wife up and say stand here and put your arms up - ball whips past her hands.  

Now take 2 steps back and hold up these wooden hands to mimic the extended reach.  Whack ball knocked down - ok now let’s try it at full speed and whack Shaw gets leveled by a pair of wood hands thrown at him - let me getting back to the flowers - you and your calculations.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Classless joke ??

Woooooo woooooo woooooo. The humor police are finally here! 

Classless joke? Hard to tell if you're a 6th grader, elderly, or an SJW. Lighten up bud. I doubt many here would down thumb a joke about Tom Brady kissing his kid for about 10 seconds or if he squirted a few tears.  

I'll start a new trend. I'm offended at you being offended.  You've demonstrated a pure lack of class, sir or ma'am. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

the exciting thing to me is not exclusively the physical ability of edmunds, but the addition of star, phillips, and murphy. not to mention the db's that were picked up and/or drafted. this defense did pretty good with modest talent last year. this year, i think it is primed to take another step, and edmunds should absolutely shine!

Agree.  And Vontae Davis is a really important pick up too.

1 hour ago, Bruce_Stools said:

Woooooo woooooo woooooo. The humor police are finally here! 

Classless joke? Hard to tell if you're a 6th grader, elderly, or an SJW. Lighten up bud. I doubt many here would down thumb a joke about Tom Brady kissing his kid for about 10 seconds or if he squirted a few tears.  

I'll start a new trend. I'm offended at you being offended.  You've demonstrated a pure lack of class, sir or ma'am. 

Thanks for the opinion.   

Laughing at a guy who cried while concussed is funny.

You are right, My bad homie thanks for setting me straight ??

Edited by Teddy KGB

Football instincts need to be top-notch as well, otherwise the measurables won't matter.  That said, his floor is a great pass rusher - if for any reason he can't or won't learn the nuances of playing in space, they'll put his hand down and he'll still be elite.

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

TREMAINE ENHANCEMUNDS

I wonder if Bills would object if he took 

3 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i love zo and everyone including himself knows that this is most likely his last year, i think he is gonna ball out and get double digit sacks. then next year he can retire a bill and co host with john murphy.

I think Lorenzo Alexander does not think like that and like his mentor London Fletcher expects to continue to play longer.  He started as a DT and now is LB so maybe next step is safety.

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Instincts is what will separate them...Keuchly has tremendous instincts we have to see how Edmunds compare

Oh, yeah.   I was doing a simple comparison with Brown, and Keuchly was the other natural comparison.   I don't think anyone has any business declaring that Edmunds is the next Keuchly.  Edmunds COULD be that guy, but that's a truly high standard to get measured against.   Keuchly is truly special.   He's not the classic old-time MLB, who were more down hill run stoppers with speed.   Keuchly is only a bit less of a run stopper, but he's also damn near a defensive back.   With Keuchly on the field, that defense is sort of simultaneously in a 4-3 and 4-2-5.  That's special, and it takes football smarts and hard work to be that guy.   Edmunds has the physical tools to do what Keuchly does, but it'll be some time before we find out if he can play at the level.   We might see flashes, maybe many flashes, but he'll need time to become a Keuchly.  

Edmunds' playing style and physical attributes make him a perfect fit for how the Bills play defense under McDermott.

I'm sure he'll do a fine job.  How much impact a good LB has on the team's w/l record as a whole, however, is a different matter.

We need Allen to hit, not Edmunds.

Edmunds is going to shrink alot of windows in middle of the field.  He is something teams dont see or be able to replicate.  A guy that big shouldnt be that fluid and athletic.  With star, kyle, and harry in front of him, Edmunds will be all over the field.  The defense could become very good very quickly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, H2o said:

Edmunds is an athletic freak who just turned 20 years old. At 6'5" and 254lbs he ran a 4.53 forty time. He has an 83" wingspan to go along with the height he already possesses. It means he can cover A LOT of ground and do so quickly. He has an elite closing burst. 

Preston is 4" shorter, about the same weight, has a wingspan shorter fhan Edmunds, and ran a 4.86 forty time. Preston made a lot of tackles, but they were always after he got burnt in coverage or on a ball carrier after a 5 or 6 yard gain. 

In short, Edmunds will be an immediate upgrade. He plays fast, is a true 3 down LB, and has a closing burst that Preston will never have. 

If he can learn some pass rushing moves this guy could be a monster, he has all the tools to be a amazing player. I still cannot believe he dropped that far in the draft.

29 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Edmunds is going to shrink alot of windows in middle of the field.  He is something teams dont see or be able to replicate.  A guy that big shouldnt be that fluid and athletic.  With star, kyle, and harry in front of him, Edmunds will be all over the field.  The defense could become very good very quickly.

That's the concept I was thinking of but couldn't put my finger on.  Shrink the windows.    That's what he's going to do.   He's going to make the 3rd and 7 completion for a first down tougher.   It's not that he's going to get 14 interceptions and 20 breakups.   He's just going to make it harder to throw into the middle medium zone.   He's going to force the Qbinto lower probability throws, which should result in fewer third down conversions for opponents.   

19 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Only a bit better all around, but Keuchly's 20 time is faster, which means that Keuchly's better in the first ten steps.   That's why I think it's a push.  

The point is that Edmunds has all the physical tools to be as effective as Keuchly.  Keuchly was built for McD's defense, and Edmund's is too. 

That's why when you read the articles today where Beane talks in depth about the draft, Beane says they were overjoyed after the first night.   They didn't think they had a chance to get BOTH a QB they wanted and Edmunds.   It fell perfectly for the Bills.  

Kuechly's 20 time is only better by like 0.02 seconds. Edmunds 40 time is greater by 0.04 seconds. Why can't it be assumed that Edmunds 40 time offsets Kuechly's 20 time, making him the superior athlete?

Good question. He has to make more of a difference than a guy we could have taken at 65. Considering that we got Phillips at 96, I'd say we gave up a day 1 starter on the OL or at WR or OLB to add 1 better player. Some guy on NFL Network was all over this move, though. He said he had Edmunds as his #1 LB and a top 4 prospect. We could have nailed down a starting spot for some time to come. No matter. I say Edmunds will make us forget the lost pick and be the beast we are told he is.

I know he is fast but I'd like him to work with Don Beebe's house of speed in offseason between camps.  It would make him just that much faster.  I am sure his father saw Beebe on other side with Bills when he played and was amazed at his breaks.

7 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

i would like to see that. i know he hasn't been here for that long, but i love having this guy on my team. and he is great on the radio too. very engaging, very funny. i like your plan.

22 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I wanted to see specifically how much difference Edmunds' size and speed should make over Preston Brown, so I calculated it.  

If the QB delivers the ball in two seconds and throws a 35 yard pass, the ball arrives at its destination about 3 seconds after the snap.  

Based on their combine times for the 20 and 40, Edmunds will get 1.5 to 2 yards deep (on a deep drop) or wider (if he's going to the flat) than Brown.   

Plus, Edmunds is 4 inches taller and has slightly longer arms.   

My continuing memories of Brown in pass coverage was that his drops regularly weren't deep enough or wide enough.   He read the plays correctly, but the ball always seemed to pass six to twelve inches over his outstretched arm.   Assuming Edmunds can learn to make the reads as well as Brown did, those balls are going to be incomplete or intercepted.   

Bigger, better, faster athlete.  

Or,  the QB will throw the ball over his hands, too. Like he’s supposed to.

Edited by Domdab99

Having Bob Babich as his coach is huge. There aren't too many better than him. He turned Brian Urlacher into a Hall of Famer, turned Lance Briggs into one of the best in the league, made Poz so much better in Jacksonville, and developed Telvin Smith, a fifth round pick who is now probably top five linebackers in the league. Edmunds might be the best piece of clay he's ever worked with. Edmunds is basically the same size as Urlacher but a little faster. Remember Urlacher was a converted safety so he was very raw at the start as well. I love the Edmunds pick. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Kuechly's 20 time is only better by like 0.02 seconds. Edmunds 40 time is greater by 0.04 seconds. Why can't it be assumed that Edmunds 40 time offsets Kuechly's 20 time, making him the superior athlete?

Well, the first 20 yards are the most important, so that's an edge to Keuchly.  But it's not a significant edge.  As I said, I think it's a push.  

If the discussion is whether one is a little better athlete than other, i think the discussion is over.  You're talking about premier athletes.  Bills got one.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/5/2018 at 8:50 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

Having Bob Babich as his coach is huge. There aren't too many better than him. He turned Brian Urlacher into a Hall of Famer, turned Lance Briggs into one of the best in the league, made Poz so much better in Jacksonville, and developed Telvin Smith, a fifth round pick who is now probably top five linebackers in the league. Edmunds might be the best piece of clay he's ever worked with. Edmunds is basically the same size as Urlacher but a little faster. Remember Urlacher was a converted safety so he was very raw at the start as well. I love the Edmunds pick. 

Much of what turned Brian Urlacher into a Hall of Famer was Rusty Jones.  Urlacher gave credit to him in helping him stay healthy for he had constant hamstring problems. 

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-02-07/sports/ct-spt-0208-bears-pompei-rusty-jones-chicago--20130208_1_rusty-jones-strength-coach-phil-emery

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/4/2018 at 9:01 PM, Shaw66 said:

I disagree. I think we see a major difference in Edmunds over Brown. He plays much much quicker sideline to sideline, potential major impact

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I disagree. I think we see a major difference in Edmunds over Brown. He plays much much quicker sideline to sideline, potential major impact

My comment was comparing Edmunds to Keuchly.  

Read the OP and tell us if you disagree. 

• Thank you (+1) 1