Post-Draft NFL.com Power Rankings

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000930902/article/nfl-power-rankings-giants-climb-after-2018-draft-bills-drop

Here's the Bills exerpt:

RANK

BUF.png

BILLS

The Bills' slow lurch downward since the loss to the Jaguars in the Wild Card Round is not indicative of panic-worthy events. Rather, it's a reflection of how strong the team is right now. So,Bills Mafia, if you loved the Josh Allen choice, don't get angry. Because that pick doesn't do much to help the team in Week 1 of the 2018 season. He has an uphill curve ahead of him, although there are plenty of people who enjoy exaggerating that curve. Allen should be accelerating it. AJ McCarron is also a bit of an unknown, although he has flashed potential. Tremaine Edmunds(Round 1, No. 16) should get on the field rather quickly. By the way: That guy turned 20 on Wednesday. TWENTY. I was driving a Mitsubishi Mighty Max with no power steering and working at Bank One at 20. (Yeah, that place is defunct.)

I actually am pulling for McCaron to start.  He has been chomping at the bit for a starting role and knowing what I know about him....he's going to work hard to get it.  If McCaron starts and plays decently....he's good draft capital for next year.  

If Allen surprises early and wins the job....even better but I think he needs to sit at least a year.

• Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I actually am pulling for McCaron to start.  He has been chomping at the bit for a starting role and knowing what I know about him....he's going to work hard to get it.  If McCaron starts and plays decently....he's good draft capital for next year.  

If Allen surprises early and wins the job....even better but I think he needs to sit at least a year.

I fully agree.

I know we are going to see Allen eventually, but really want to see what AJ can do. 

If AJ does start, I expect 37 "Start Allen" threads as soon as AJ throws an incompletion. That will get old, but I would be fine with giving AJ the year, as long as he earns it to start the season.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I am too. I feel like McDermott is the kind of guy who will start the guy who deserves to start, regardless of where he was drafted, etc. He's a no nonsense guy that doesn't seem to buy into the politics of it all. 

If Allen wins the job outright? Then so be it.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000930902/article/nfl-power-rankings-giants-climb-after-2018-draft-bills-drop

Here's the Bills exerpt:

RANK

BUF.png

BILLS

The Bills' slow lurch downward since the loss to the Jaguars in the Wild Card Round is not indicative of panic-worthy events. Rather, it's a reflection of how strong the team is right now. So,Bills Mafia, if you loved the Josh Allen choice, don't get angry. Because that pick doesn't do much to help the team in Week 1 of the 2018 season. He has an uphill curve ahead of him, although there are plenty of people who enjoy exaggerating that curve. Allen should be accelerating it. AJ McCarron is also a bit of an unknown, although he has flashed potential. Tremaine Edmunds(Round 1, No. 16) should get on the field rather quickly. By the way: That guy turned 20 on Wednesday. TWENTY. I was driving a Mitsubishi Mighty Max with no power steering and working at Bank One at 20. (Yeah, that place is defunct.)

I see the rationale that he's using here, but it's pretty lazy to assume that McCarron and Allen can't do as much as Tyrod. It goes to show what we've known all along- the outsiders look at stats and have no idea how bad our offense was behind Dennison and Taylor. 

• Like (+1) 2

I really hope AJ takes the reins and makes it extremely difficult for Allen to win the job. There is so much, IMO that needs to be done with Allen, that you don't want Josh to revert to habits hes been trying to break with the likes of Palmer.

There is also the conundrum that a seventh overall pick, should realistically be able to beat out a career backup. Terminology and grasping the playbook also shouldn't be an issue with Allen who is intelligent.

Either way, like the snippet mentions Allen should be excelling the curve not elongating it.

Honestly, I'd love to see AJ come out playing like a probowler this year.  I'd love to see the same thing with Allen.  That being said, as long as our starter is helping us win games instead of causing us to lose games I don't care what name is on the back of the Jersey.  Personally, I think AJ comes out playing like an average QB option, maybe giving a little less upside then Andy Dalton would give.  Allen sits on the bench for at least half the year, if not all season, and wins the starting job next year.  Peterman doesn't likely finish the year on the roster.

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Rosters are still very much in flux and ours in particular has a lot of unknowns. I'm not sure that power rankings are going to be very meaningful (using that term loosely) until mid-season.

To be honest, Harrison is never really useful (in my opinion) and is pretty strongly biased against smaller market/less sexy teams. 

i was worried about qb production from our new, soon to be HOF, rookie, but then i looked at the box scores and remembered tyrods games last year.

he was just terrible.

we just stank on O last season, so now our d is better and will will be equal to better early on O, and way better by the end.

get ready to win, bills fans.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HiddenInLight said:

Honestly, I'd love to see AJ come out playing like a probowler this year.  I'd love to see the same thing with Allen.  That being said, as long as our starter is helping us win games instead of causing us to lose games I don't care what name is on the back of the Jersey.  Personally, I think AJ comes out playing like an average QB option, maybe giving a little less upside then Andy Dalton would give.  Allen sits on the bench for at least half the year, if not all season, and wins the starting job next year.  Peterman doesn't likely finish the year on the roster.

Best case scenario: AJ lights it up for 10 games and puts us in the hunt for the playoffs, gets a minor injury (not that I wish injury on anyone) like a non-throwing wrist or something easy to bounce back from, Allen plays 6 games and goes crazy showing all his potential and leading us into the playoffs and beating the Pats in the wildcard round. 

Off season we trade AJ for a second and are well on our way. 

:D

1 minute ago, colin said:

i was worried about qb production from our new, soon to be HOF, rookie, but then i looked at the box scores and remembered tyrods games last year.

he was just terrible.

we just stank on O last season, so now our d is better and will will be equal to better early on O, and way better by the end.

get ready to win, bills fans.

Even if Allen only completes 2 out of 3 throws (66%) we hopefully wont be hearing other teams game plan is to make our QB a QB. 

That arm immediately makes the DBs second guess themselves. Taylor never did. 

• Like (+1) 1

dude, remember the jets/NO, NE stretch?

Tyrod just turtled up and did nothing.  was so hard to watch.

or cincy, we get the late turnover, and he just freaking sat there and didn't throw, or threw a nice 5 yard out on 3rd and long.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Best case scenario: AJ lights it up for 10 games and puts us in the hunt for the playoffs, gets a minor injury (not that I wish injury on anyone) like a non-throwing wrist or something easy to bounce back from, Allen plays 6 games and goes crazy showing all his potential and leading us into the playoffs and beating the Pats in the wildcard round. 

Off season we trade AJ for a second and are well on our way. 

:D

I'll be honest, best case scenario is that AJ comes out and sets the league on fire, and STILL gets overtaken by Allen at the Bye.  Allen shows the coaches in practice and TC that he's ready to go and better then AJ.  Bills bench AJ and are lead to their first superbowl win by this crazy rookie player who then goes on to have a HOF career winning more superbowls then Tom Brady, without any of the cheating.  AJ gets traded in the offseason to the Browns for their first overall pick because they have inexplicably been unable to win a single game for the second year in a row.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I see the rationale that he's using here, but it's pretty lazy to assume that McCarron and Allen can't do as much as Tyrod. It goes to show what we've known all along- the outsiders look at stats and have no idea how bad our offense was behind Dennison and Taylor. 

Say what you want to about Tyrod (and Wasn’t a big fan) but he was an average nfl starting qb who could make plays with his feet and didn’t lose you games. We have no idea what AJ will be and our skill players besides McCoy are kinda bad.  

It was a miracle we made the playoffs last year.  I expect an improved D, a worst O, and hopefully Allen gets some playin time and shows some home.  I didn’t want him but if he can show promise, it will be a good year no matter the record.  

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Say what you want to about Tyrod (and Wasn’t a big fan) but he was an average nfl starting qb who could make plays with his feet and didn’t lose you games. We have no idea what AJ will be and our skill players besides McCoy are kinda bad.  

It was a miracle we made the playoffs last year.  I expect an improved D, a worst O, and hopefully Allen gets some playin time and shows some home.  I didn’t want him but if he can show promise, it will be a good year no matter the record.  

The guy was in the top three in sacks against, playing behind one of the top rated lines in the league last year. I dont want to hear about how he makes all these plays with his feet.

Moreover, if the argument is he makes plays with his feet, then make him a WR or a RB, because he absolutely cost us games when teams openly came out and said, WE MADE TYROD BE A QB.

When teams did that we saw sub 70 yard passing performances with 0TDs/2INTs in those games.

Not moving the ball as a QB absolutley costs teams games.

40 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Rosters are still very much in flux and ours in particular has a lot of unknowns. I'm not sure that power rankings are going to be very meaningful (using that term loosely) until mid-season.

I believe we were ranging between 26-30 last year at this time.

42 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Yeah...

3 times last year we only managed to muster 3 points.

I know TT was great at not turning the ball over, but I want to put points on the board. 29th ranked offense isn't going to cut it, so realistically, the new QBs don't really have to be THAT good to be better.

IMO, I don't think 20 is all that bad, all things considered. Our QBs are rather unknown, and that is the most important position after all. AJ may have shown some flashes in his limited playing time in Cincy, but he also had better WRs, and a defense that was rather stingy to lean on. But we have yet to see him perform in this offense, which is still an unknown in its own way. He did have some decent numbers in his few starts, but also had a couple bone-headed mistakes; not uncommon with inexperienced QBs, but still...the good thing is that Daboll knows AJ pretty well, and will cater to his skills accordingly.

Our defense likely going to have to keep the Bills in games, and with the additions they've made on that side of the ball via free agency and the draft, I think they'll be better than they were last year. Our pass rush should be improved, and Edmunds will serve as our "Kuechly" so to speak. 

Whether or not the Bills finish around 20, or better or worse, will depend on what we get from our QB. And I think it's prett safe to assume that Allen will start at some point this year, given the recent history of 1st round rookie QBs in the league, unless AJ plays much better than we expect. Win-win either way, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Totally agree.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, colin said:

dude, remember the jets/NO, NE stretch?

Tyrod just turtled up and did nothing.  was so hard to watch.

or cincy, we get the late turnover, and he just freaking sat there and didn't throw, or threw a nice 5 yard out on 3rd and long.

i remember thinking that TT was the worst QB in the league during that stretch and then second worst QB all the rest of the time   its a shame he gets credit for getting us to playoffs cause he sure does not deserve it,  just TERRIBLE   have fun brownies

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

"The Bills' slow lurch downward since the loss to the Jaguars in the Wild Card Round is not indicative of panic-worthy events. Rather, it's a reflection of how strong the team is right now."

Is it me, or are these statements nonsensical?

I think he's basically just saying they aren't a good team on paper. Honestly I think #20 is pretty high; seems that a lot of people, including Vegas, expect them to be close to 25-28.

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

"The Bills' slow lurch downward since the loss to the Jaguars in the Wild Card Round is not indicative of panic-worthy events. Rather, it's a reflection of how strong the team is right now."

Is it me, or are these statements nonsensical?

It is worded awkwardly.   Maybe he is saying how weak we are right now.  It makes little sense

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I am similar in that I absolutely want Allen to earn the job long before he steps out onto the field. I am 100% ok with him riding the pine for most, if not all of the year.

But if Allen is the clear favorite to start the season, I am ok with starting him. If AJ bombs, I would give Allen a limited playbook and get him some playing time.

Hard to see Allen starting for some time. Anything can happen but remember at every level he has played at smaller schools, lower level comp). Small town HS. Then small JUCO. Then WYO. This will be a big adjustment. 

I think that the question of who to start will take care of itself. Either it will be obvious based on preseason performance who the starter should be or it will be cloudy, with no clear winner established before opening day. If it is the former, then that is the guy you start. If the latter, then you start AJ until further notice. If he plays well, you stick with him because, duh, he is playing well. If he doesn't play well, you eventually make the switch. At that point, the fans and media will have a far greater tolerance for his rookie growing pains knowing that AJ isn't the answer because, duh, we tried him and it didn't work. 

I think our season is going to hinge on Daboll, as I don't see much difference from the QB perspective.  I really hope he can game plan and call plays to our QBs strengths, regardless of who starts. 

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I don't think it's lazy when you're unsure. It would be overly optimistic to assume they will be better than he was. He didn't produce in clutch moments, but he didn't turn the ball over either. 

49 minutes ago, hemma said:

We could have a strong D this year, top 15 maybe even better, but the OL doesn't imbue confidence.

At this point, 20 may be a bit generous.

D looks pretty good, but LB is shaky. Hopefully they can get Edmunds coached up a ready to start. 

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I think he's basically just saying they aren't a good team on paper. Honestly I think #20 is pretty high; seems that a lot of people, including Vegas, expect them to be close to 25-28.

I believe the ranking is dragged down by the offense. It a a huge unknown, with two starting linemen gone, TT gone/inexperience at QB, OC gone, etc. 

TBH, I think the ranking is averaging offense and defense; perhaps the author believes the defense will be above average, while offense will be below average (huge unkown), which is my train of thought as well.

Esentially, it's just a "power ranking", and one man's opinion. Means very little at this point, and in general. 

29 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

When he proves/looks to be the better QB in practice/training camp/preseason.

Similar to how Tyrod won the job back in 2015. 

It would be an interesting problem to have if McCaron is playing well and the Bills are winning at the same time.

Yeah...I agree.  Allen will have to look the part in camp and preseason.  We invested a lot into Allen so I think it would be bad sign if he's not starting in 2019.  Unless of course AJ McCarron pulls a Jimmy G and just dominates out there.  Then it will have to be reevaluated since McCaron is young too.