RD3, Pick 96: Harrison Phillips DT - Stanford

Great pick!

love it. He’s got such great hands. A D-Line rotation with Hughes-Lotulelei-Williams-Murphy plus Lawson-Washington-Phillips-Yarbrough behind them is really really great d-line depth. 

Also, member of the “40-40 club”. 

40 bench reps

40 on the wonderlick

Edited by Dkollidas

5 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

Mo Hurst is an episode away from being asked to retire due to his heart ailment.  Rap sheet reported that some teams fear it will only get worse.

You don't put down a 3rd round pick on someone like that.  It's too valuable.  

I see a team taking him (maybe) in the 5th.  But most likely late draft when they have nothing to lose if he has to retire early.

I believe Phillips is as good a player with intangibles similar to Kyle Williams.  He also has a personality like Tre White on the field when in the videos he likes to have fun.

Many thought Phillips was a late first round/2nd round value.  To get him at the end of the 3rd and have it be a need position is outstanding work by Beane.

This will allow Phillips to spend a year with Kyle Williams soaking up his knowledge and learning from a true pro so he can take over.

I love it.

Sad for Maurice.

On NFL.com:  "Not the greatest athlete, but makes a ton of plays"

Guy was the state wrestling champ for 3 straight years. 

You don't do that unless you are an incredible athlete.

You aren't hitting a curveball or a slider.  You're hitting a big-assed man.

Nick VeronicaVerified account @NickVeronica 34s34 seconds ago

Nick Veronica Retweeted Ross Tucker

Harrison Phillips on conference call: "I couldn't ever accept that term right now to be compared to somebody as fantastic as Kyle Williams. I think that his career is one that's going to go down in the history books."

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/27/5-things-to-know-about-bills-third-round-pick-harrison-phillips/

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Nick VeronicaVerified account @NickVeronica 34s34 seconds ago

Nick Veronica Retweeted Ross Tucker

Harrison Phillips on conference call: "I couldn't ever accept that term right now to be compared to somebody as fantastic as Kyle Williams. I think that his career is one that's going to go down in the history books."

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/27/5-things-to-know-about-bills-third-round-pick-harrison-phillips/

Class act.  Like McD says, you have to earn it.  He sees it.  

This is why he fits our "culture" perfectly.

Awesome. Thanks you guys for helping me get to know this draft pick. Definitely excited to see him play! The highlights look sweet dude. Did he make Rosen cough up the ball? 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

He not only led Stanford in tackles as a DT (which is insane), but he also led all FBS defensive linemen in tackles last year. And, he graduate from Stanford with a double degree. And, did 7 more reps at the combine than any other player in the draft.

At the end of the third round, this pick is hard not to like!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Manther said:

Maybe we can grab Hurst in the 4th or 5th.  5th would be crazy like Bob Woods!

Yeah, I’d still be eyeing Hurst. He’s worth a flier IMO. I think that he comes off the board early tomorrow though. Some team that hasn’t ruled him out will move up and grab him. 

The Bills should consider spinning some of those late round picks into NFL players too. Bandit has been saying a 5th or 6th for Travis Benjamin. They can add a viable NFL player or 2.

7 minutes ago, hemma said:

On NFL.com:  "Not the greatest athlete, but makes a ton of plays"

Guy was the state wrestling champ for 3 straight years. 

You don't do that unless you are an incredible athlete.

You aren't hitting a curveball or a slider.  You're hitting a big-assed man.

You know athlete is speed commentary. He’s clearly an athlete but this is a case of does he run past blockers and chase down backs or is he a smart and stout player that knocks his blocker back a step, sheds the right way and wraps up?

The Bills overachieved last year, heart and chemistry being a part of it.  They were the underdogs with a "Band of Brothers" feel to them.  I'm getting the feeling that character is very much at play with these draft picks thus far.  Yes, the usuals are talked about...ability, filling a hole and such...but there has been a lot of talk about how all three fit the team's chemistry.  This pick just galvanizes the suspicion.  This kid is a work horse, leaving it on the field every play.

Remember when the Sabres were "The Hardest Working Team in Hockey"?  At this rate the Bills are going to be the hardest working team in football.  Love this pick.

31 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Joe BuscagliaVerified account @JoeBuscaglia 3m3 minutes ago

New #Bills DT Harrison Phillips: “The first time I met Coach McDermott he tried to hit an outside single on me and it knocked the water bottle out of my hand.” #wrestling

What exactly does that mean?  Some wrestling term?

I love this pick.  The one guy I wanted all along.  Group hug?

Edited by PIZ

47 minutes ago, Stokes84 said:

Please tell me you think this guy is better than Mo Hurst. Please.

No, I do not. But Hurst is still in the board and that says something. It's not just the Bills. Someone will take a chance with the medical at some point, but still too great a risk. Bills didn't have a ton of picks left in the value rounds so this pick makes a LOT of sense. Good player. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Welcome to Buffalo, Kyle Jr!

@Kirby Jackson and I called this one! 

Me three. Ever since the very first time I read about him, he stood out as the most obvious Sean McDermott player that will ever exist. 

Wrestling champion, member of the 40-40 club, off-the-charts intangibles, high motor, team captain...he may be more McDermott-y than McDermott! If they could just draft 7 Harrison Phillipses every year, I'm pretty sure they would. If you want to know what "Bills DNA" looks like, just check out this dude.

And now to hear that the first time he ever met McDermott, coach immediately tried a wrestling move on him! Pure gold. Makes me like coach even more. 

Outstanding pick and just like Mayock said: "Kyle Williams Jr". Love, love, love it.