RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

Just now, baskin said:

Fire the guys who got the team in the playoffs with a bunch of no names!

FFS

I'm beginning to wish that Dalton hadn't thrown that fluke touchdown.

"But they got us to the playoffs!" will forever be the mantra of those Bills fans with their heads buried deep in the sand as these men make one incompetent decision after another.

smdh

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Gordio said:

One would think so.  Total amateur hour in the Bills draft room.  They panicked & I am not sure why.  The board couldn't of broken any better.  They should of sat tight at 12, Allen would of been there.  Then trade up for Edmunds.  I like the pick but him or the LB from Bama would of been there at 22.  So basically they blew 2 2nd round picks & 3rd round pick.  Great job.  Beane & Mcdipsh&t are not smart enough to know what they don't know.  Allen has got the most upside of the top 4 QBs.  He has also got the most bust potential.   

Hey no one ever said the Jets were a smart organization either.

All the information out there suggests that Arizona was trying to trade up to either 7 or 10 to get him, and if they did that and we stayed put, odds are good Miami (which didn't have the draft capital to move up) would have taken Rosen after he fell into their laps, and then all the work we did to get a quarterback would have gone down the drain.  Or maybe another team (New England, perhaps?) would have pounced on our inactivity and traded up to 10 after Arizona took their guy at 7.  At 12 we were not getting any of the top four QBs.

The way I look at it, we traded up to get our quarterback without giving up our other first-rounder (which we probably couldn't have done if we traded any higher), which allowed us to use that first-rounder and other assets to move up again and take Edmunds.  Had the board broken differently with quarterbacks going in the first three picks, we probably would have had to give up both first-rounders to get the fourth guy before the Denver-Miami run started.  In that sense Edmunds was almost a free pick.  

I don't understand the hate except that people didn't get "their" guy, whether it was Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield.  I bet we're having this same discussion this morning no matter who the Bills took.  Maybe we can let the professionals who put this whole plan together over the past year and still managed to get us into the playoffs, you know, do their jobs.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Otherwise, the pick is a failure and Beane and McDermott are dead men walking and unlikely to last more than three more years here.

McDermott passed on Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson last season in order to add ammo to the 2018 Draft and get "their guy". Watson is a star in the making and the Chiefs (a well-run organization) allowed a very good veteran QB coming off a career year to go in order to hand the keys to their franchise to Mahomes.

Last night, McDermott and Beane passed on Josh Rosen, Lamar Jackson and the rest of the 2018 QB draft class in order to acquire a quarterback that finished 82nd in college football in passer rating playing in the Mountain West conference. Not to mention giving up picks 53 and 56 for his services.

"Offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is supposedly running an Erhardt-Perkins system that typically asks a quarterback to win with mental processing, decision-making and ball placement from the pocket. None of those things are Allen's strengths, at all. Daboll will likely dumb things down some, but what I expect from the system isn't a great fit for Allen."

My thoughts on how Beane is doing in a nutshell (from Jon Ledyard)...

bills_decisions.thumb.jpg.273b89d484f8f8a21a8fde350c60c60c.jpg

Mahomes has played one game.  Count them.  One game.  But you somehow know he'll be good?

Rosen, Jackson and Rudolph have played zero games.  But somehow the assumption is they'll be better?

Watson?  I wish they had talkken and said so at the time.

How about you actually let some guys play football before spouting off about how good or bad they'll be?

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I'm beginning to wish that Dalton hadn't thrown that fluke touchdown.

"But they got us to the playoffs!" will forever be the mantra of those Bills fans with their heads buried deep in the sand as these men make one incompetent decision after another.

smdh

I can't stand the "they got us to the playoff's"  No! Dalton got the Bills to the playoff's...

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Otherwise, the pick is a failure and Beane and McDermott are dead men walking and unlikely to last more than three more years here.

McDermott passed on Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson last season in order to add ammo to the 2018 Draft and get "their guy". Watson is a star in the making and the Chiefs (a well-run organization) allowed a very good veteran QB coming off a career year to go in order to hand the keys to their franchise to Mahomes.

Last night, McDermott and Beane passed on Josh Rosen, Lamar Jackson and the rest of the 2018 QB draft class in order to acquire a quarterback that finished 82nd in college football in passer rating playing in the Mountain West conference. Not to mention giving up picks 53 and 56 for his services.

"Offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is supposedly running an Erhardt-Perkins system that typically asks a quarterback to win with mental processing, decision-making and ball placement from the pocket. None of those things are Allen's strengths, at all. Daboll will likely dumb things down some, but what I expect from the system isn't a great fit for Allen."

My thoughts on how Beane is doing in a nutshell (from Jon Ledyard)...

bills_decisions.thumb.jpg.273b89d484f8f8a21a8fde350c60c60c.jpg

Shouldn't you add Tyrod to this list? Seriously.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, davspo said:

Ok, I have had a chance to calm down.  Admittedly, I did not study Allen much.  I didn't see him as a potential Bills pick.  I thought that Rosen was their guy from day one.  I have watch some video and read a bit more about him and a few things stick out:

1.  He is surprisingly mobile 

2.  He has been running for his life for the last 2 years behind the Wyoming O line, so that should serve him well with the current state of the Bills O line.

3.  He is huge

4.  He is creative, when the play breaks down, and most of them do, he guides traffic

5.  We will no longer see an 8 yard pass on 3rd and 10.  This guy never saw a downfield pass he didn't like.

6.  He does remind me of Big Ben in his ability to keep plays alive.

7.  He couldn't be more opposite than Tyrod Taylor

At this point,  I will give Beane the benefit of the doubt.  

The downfield pass falsehood. 

He threw a TON behind the LOS 

7 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

To be fair to McD, Watson and Mahomes will need to be consistent on the little success they had last season too.

Um yeah.........no.

Watson has proven himself as a star in this league, after only one season mind you.

A).  McDermott and the roster of the 2017 Buffalo Bills made the playoffs.   There were 15 other games before New Years Eve and to say it was one pass by Andy Dalton is wrong.  If they were 5 and 10 going into New Years they wouldn't have made it.

B). Can we please stop with the Lamar Jackson garbage. 

35 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Love Eric Wood. I wonder if he has the smarts to come back as a position coach. 

Eric Wood is obviously going to wax poetic on a big bills draft pick. He would had said the exact same thing if we traded up Joe nobody. 

Love wood too I'm basically saying he's a super nice guy so I can't really put any stock in his take.

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Mahomes has played one game.  Count them.  One game.  But you somehow know he'll be good?

Rosen, Jackson and Rudolph have played zero games.  But somehow the assumption is they'll be better?

Watson?  I wish they had talkken and said so at the time.

How about you actually let some guys play football before spouting off about how good or bad they'll be?

Where did I say I know Mahomes will be good?

I'm assuming that Rosen, Jackson and Rudolph will be better because they are superior quarterbacks. But you never know. Hence the thread.